I don't know how you guys do it

Options
Hi I'm Leanne. I'm 23 years old and all my life I've been large. I haven't led a completely unhealthy lifestyle (of course I could have done better), but it just feels like I've been punished for something and because of that I can't shift the weight I LONG to lose.

I would love to know how any of you can stay motivated. I think that is the key let down for me. I try then I get no where, and it destroys my soul a little more each time. My energy levels are horribly low (I have an iron deficiency at the moment which doesn't help matters), and whenever I try to exercise it feels like a burden, a pain and I don't find myself improving like I feel I should be.

My food take isn't bad at all. I've cut my food down completely. I try to just have 3 meals a day, obviously with some form of snack if I am hungry in the day or evening, but I generally eat much healthier stuff - Some Special K, Muesli or wholegrain toast for breakfast, usually a jacket potato for lunch and dinner can range from anything but usually involves some form of veggies with fish or quorn (I don't eat red meat or poultry), I've completely cut fizzy drinks out of my life which was my real damage zone, I could drink them all day everday if given the chance. I just stick to herbal teas and water/squash now.

So yeah I think i'm doing alright there. It's the exercise part I'm failing at.

So I am asking; how do you guys do it? I'd love to know because I'm tired of being this person now. I just need to break away from it and I want to move forward with my life not outward.

Thank you for reading this little rant.

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing good things with your diet. I understand the low energy, but find something to do. Maybe take a walk around the block, take a dance class or try a sport you were always curious about. A couple of years ago, my son challenged me to try fencing. Let me tell you.. playing with swords is a lot of fun and burns a ton of calories! You will be amazed that as the pounds start to come off you find motivation to do more and try more challenging things.

L
  • Emmea2729
    Emmea2729 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    have you got a wii console?
    if yes, get yourself wii sports or just dance. they're great fun, and even more fun playing against someone else, so you kinda forget its a form of exercise and just enjoy the game!!! they're lots of wii games like that out there.
    or, do what my boyfriends family did, and place the tredmill/excerise bike in front of a tv or something. while you're favourtie show it on, rather than sitting and watching it, run or cycle while watching it!
    swimming with mates is always fun too!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Hi Leanne. I've been struggling with my weight for about 15 years. I believe I'm being most successful this round becasue I finally realized something. Motivation is great, but it's not about motivation. It's about COMMITMENT. Making good choices and doing the right things (like exercise and all that junk ;P) even when it's the last thing you want to do. It's all about a committed vow you make to yourself, and resolving to keep that vow. We all slip up, but just get right back to it and you'll be okay.

The best advice I can give is put motivation in the "awesome if you can get it" category, and program yourself to know it's really about commitment. Somehow it all turned around for me with that one little idea.

Good luck :heart:
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but it may be you're not eating enough, which can really hurt your motivation. Don't forget to eat back the calories you burn. And try to measure progress differently. It has taken you a lifetime to become the weight that you are and getting healthy is a lifetime experience. You won't and don't have to lose it all at once. Celebrate when you can walk half a block more than you did at the start or can bump the speed up on the treadmill by .5 mph. That you aren't making the progress you want does not mean you aren't making progress. You just need to learn to see progress differently. Small victories are the key.

You can do it!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just decided that exercise was something I had to do, like going to work, taking a shower, or driving my daughter to school. It took about two months of sheer determination before the gym started to be fun and I actually look forward to it ( most days). I'm a terrible jogger, it's my weakest point. So I get out there and trick myself. Just make it to that trashcan. Made it, now just get to the second mailbox... Before I know it I've mailboxes my way a whole mile. Just get started and see where it takes you!
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Take heart. Log all of your food -- I thought I was eating healthy until I realized how much everything was adding up. That being said -- make sure you are eating enough!!!
    See a DR about your iron deficiency -- they may put you on supplements -- but be sure to take with food. When I was pregnant I had to take extra iron and it made me sick to my stomach -- still does -- but I was not taking it with enough food.

As for exercise -- start small. Even a walk at lunch or after dinner counts as exercise. Slowly build up time or distance. You could also try some DVDs (I like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and power 90 -- slowly getting up to P90X, I also use intervals in the cardio machines I use, and am working on C25K.http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.

Start slow -- and remember that there are tons of us here for help and support -- but dont give up.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Iron deficiency can really do a number on your motivation and your moods. I had to have a blood transfusion last year because my hemoglobin was so low. My brain was filled with negativity all the time, and I felt like I had no "reserves" to draw on, mentally or physically. I had no idea this was all related to iron at the time, and so I just kept beating myself up for being lazy. In fact I was just exhausted utterly because my blood couldn't keep enough oxygen in it.

Now that I'm getting closer to having the right level of iron in my blood, things are a lot different! It took me a year to find an iron supplement that didn't wreak havoc with my intestines, but I finally found EasyIron and take it every day. Plus MFP has helped me track my iron and make sure I get enough each day, because what I was eating before wasn't cutting it, even though I thought it was. I'm a vegetarian and that was part of the issue - I figured leafy greens was all I needed, but it wasn't, at least not in the amounts I was eating them then. So, I think it would be very worthwhile for you to work on getting your iron issue taken care of first, and I think then the motivation part will come. I wish you all the best!
  • bmayes
    bmayes Posts: 55
    Options
    Staying motivated is certainly a challenge! Try to find physical activities that you ENJOY doing! There are sooooo many options: softball, kickball, jogging, swimming, indoor rock climbing, aerobics, boxing, kick boxing, pole dance class, Zumba, pilates, yoga, biking, hiking, skating, this list can go on and on - which is exactly my point! You don't want it to seem like a chore (although honestly, sometimes it is). My advice is to find activities you actually enjoy doing. I don't love getting up at 6am to jog BUT I do it because I get some alone time, I love to see the trees and the birds and the squirrels (sounds silly but its true), and I know it will be best for my health. There are times when I go a week or two without exercising because I just don't feel like it. But I feel better when I do exercise - bottom line! I learned in college that you have to be self-motivated. Try to concentrate on the positive.

Did I mention walking? :)

Oh yes and DANCING - MY FAVORITE!!

Hope this helps!
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right path!
    try not to focus on losing pounds, that will come in time, but focus instead on making the best decision right now. Choose your foods wisely, choose wo exercise, not to lose weight but to use the machine that is your body! Choose to be positive and love yourself. Choose to move forward when you slip up (and you will, hou're only human) Choose to ignore the scale and instead focus on how you feel in your skin.
    Once you forget it's not about the number on the scale (that fluctuates daily anyway!) and rather about how you see yourself...an active, young, healthy person...then you'll get the motivation you need to keep with it!
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    I've lost 64pds so far and my journey began with a book called "I can make you thin" by Paul McKenna. It completely changed the way I looked at food, exercise and dieting in general. I know you said you're not having a prob food-wise, but if you cut too many cals too fast it may be contributing to the lack of energy you are feeling. Anyway, i was a total couch potato and this book helped me get moving more in general and with in a month or so of reading it I was doing 30 mins of exercise 3 times a week and really starting to look forward to working out. Now I'm totally hooked.
    What ever you do, don't give up, keep trying new things - there is something out there that will work for you - finding that thing is the hardest part, but you can do it! Best of luck!
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I have been reading a book and working with it called The Beck Diet. I recommend it. I have started to learn this is a lifestyle. I always felt like that was cliche. I wanted will power and motivation and all of that. NOw I am working on taking one day at a time. slip ups or bumps in one day are derailing me for the week or month.

Good luck.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    How I stay motivated? I got a great support system, my wife, my brother and sister in law, my dad, everyone is losing weight and getting heathy. I have to do it for my family, I am 32 almost 33 and I dont want to have a heart attack at 40, my family deserves better than a dad who was so selfish he killed himself for food. I realized it had to change and I am making changes.. now my goal is now visiable on the horizon instead of being in outter space.. You can do it, just stick with it
  • krinio
    krinio Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to find some form of exercise you love (or at least don't mind) doing. That's easier said than done I know but maybe try different things. Or you could incorporate 2 or 3 little walks into your day. For me, I adore swimming, so I swim every morning. It doesn't even feel like exercise! I love spin classes to so I incorporate them and a few weights sessions. A friend of mine loves to cycle, so he cycles to uni every day, to the shops etc. I think you'll find the more you exercise, the more energy you'll have! I certainly fell that way myself! Good luck! I'm gonna friend request you 'cause you sound like you need some support and I want to see how things go with some fun exercise! :)
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    My health and my kids are what motivates me....Unlike most, I wasnt overweight til recently...I was healthy and in great shape until my late 20's, and then i just let go and stopped caring; however, when the dr started diagnosing me with High blood pressure, diabetes, POCS and all these things, I had to get serious and get tired of myself....

Once i stopped making excuses and started doing it, i just wake up daily and make up my mind that theres no choice for me but this choice....then i see little progress, inches dropping, weight losing and all that, so it motivated me even more.....then i find things i enjoy like water aerobics and kickboxing which make it even easier....
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by the sheer disappointment I've felt everytime I've lost weight and then gone right back and gained it all again. I don't want to feel like a failure this time around! I've stuck to good eating and working out now for 7 1/2 months which is a lot longer than I ever have before!! Before, other times I tried to lose weight, I had a different mindset and I was in it to just lose the weight so I'd look better. Now I'm in it to get HEALTHY and be happy with the way I am, before weight loss, during AND after.

I keep my befores & "durings" on my profile and look at them a LOT so I can see the difference my hard work is making! That way I don't get bummed and quit because I know what I've done is already working. Also, everyone on MFP motivates me! I look at the guys & girls who've lost 100+ lbs and I realize that if they can do it, so can I! I make sure to keep people around with similar height & weight and/or weight goals as me so that I can watch them and be encouraged by their success and know that I'm somewhat comparable and it can work for me as well!

The thing that seems to be working for me is eating frequently, watching my sodium and carbs, doing my best to stay within my calorie goal but not leaving a lot of calories unless I've exercised. I eat my exercise calories because it's always worked for me. I work out 6 days/week and basically have 3 separate routines I alternate. One day of core and ab work with 2 videos, followed by a walk or run done every other day, Couch to 5k 3-4 mornings/week and a strength routine (arms and legs - separate days) which is done after a warm up of jumping/skipping rope and then after the strength (all weights), I walk or run and that's also done every other day. My C25K run is usually Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and sometimes Saturdays. I also throw in other things when my schedule allows me. I try to switch up my routine every couple months once I either get tired of it or I feel I'm not getting stronger anymore. Switching can be anything from intensifying to changing completely or starting a new class at my gym (hopefully next month I'll be back at Turbo Kick which is an intense calorie burn for me and helps me with my balance and tightens up everything!!)

I log everything and try to drink a TON of water. Drinking a lot of water (for me, it's at least 12-15 8-oz cups of water) everyday keeps me from retaining water 'cause let's face it, sometimes we can't help but eat foods that are high in sodium.
  • MickeyLeigh
    Options
    Hi,
    I agree with some of the other posts. It isn't about motivation it is about commitment. I had that same exact problem. Even now I'm not motivated to exercise I just push myself to do it because with out it I'm not going to lose the weight. Walking is a great exercise I bring along my MP3 player because I hate to walk without music. The WII game Just Dance is a good one to do too. You are in the privacy of your own home and it is really fun to try and get all the routines down. Anything you do is better than doing nothing.

Good luck!!
  • Gagsy
    Gagsy Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks guys for the advice. I've read and do appreciate every single one.

I want to try so hard, I think I can stay commited. A big problem I have is my job which is a sit down desk job. It does make me lazy and then to make matters worse I will usually come home and then just go on my computer again. I'm not getting out enough.

It sucks but I think I have a bit of a self-conscious issue now. I work at very odd hours - usually starting at 5am and I walk to work because it isn't far and I like it, it's usually peaceful. Once or twice I've walked past drunk people and they've said things and I ignore them, keep walking but it sticks in your mind you know and as much as I try not to let it all to me it does, because I hate the idea of going out, trying to better myself and getting judged badly for it.

Like, I want to go swimming so badly. I LOVE the water, I enjoy swimming so much, (not been in years though) I could easily do it everyday and I think that would be great for me, but the thought of going to my local swimming pool (even if it's at their adults only times) or a gym pool just feels me with dread at being labelled as some kind of whale. I KNOW I shouldn't care what other people think and I never used to, but enough failure and enough comments has just really taken it's toll on me.

I'm not sure if I am strong enough to get over that.

Thank you for all the words and friends requests, I appreciate it a lot.
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would love to know how any of you can stay motivated. I think that is the key let down for me. I try then I get no where, and it destroys my soul a little more each time. My energy levels are horribly low (I have an iron deficiency at the moment which doesn't help matters), and whenever I try to exercise it feels like a burden, a pain and I don't find myself improving like I feel I should be.

So yeah I think i'm doing alright there. It's the exercise part I'm failing at.

So I am asking; how do you guys do it? I'd love to know because I'm tired of being this person now. I just need to break away from it and I want to move forward with my life not outward.

• sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    find something you like to do. For me was dancing,
    I have to take b12 due to lack of iron and i am overweight.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've been heavy my whole life too. My whole family is... so that's just what I was used to. I'm sick of the comments or the looks. And I'm sick of having to shop for "special sizes" I wanna wear express too!!! You need to make it enjoyable... and part of your routine! I have a desk job too. So I bring my clothes to work with me and head right to the gym after work. So I won't go home first and sit on the couch! Sometimes I don't want to go... but that's my routine. Also, I tried kickboxing sunday and i LOVE IT!! I can honestly say I've never been so sore or have sweat so much but it was amazing. I went again last night... and can't wait for the next class. Think about someone that teased you or something, and it really gets you going harder. When I want quit I just think of the fact that if I keep going... I can be skinny too! I never have been... and I can NOT wait. So I would just say... make it a routine... and make it enjoyable :-)