Has anyone taken a spin class?

Options
I am going to get an exercise bike since the snow is coming soon and it will be to cold to go outside. I have heard good and bad about spinning and wanted your opinion. I am just starting over on my exercise and only a month in at this time.

Replies

• KerryBCPA
    KerryBCPA Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Spin class is very intense and a great cardio workout! I def recommend you try it!! You will burn a lot of calories....
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Spin classes are amazing and intense! I recommend them. If you are going to buy your own bike know that some bikes are better than others. My first choice would be a LeMond Revmaster. They can be pricey if you buy them new, $1400 ... you can find them for a third of that, used. Another approach is to get a trainer and put your bike into it. A really good one of those will run in the neighborhood of $350 new. I recommend the wind and hill trainer Cycleops makes a good one and so does Blackburn there are other makes but these are the two that I have used that I liked.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I agree the money is better spent on buying a real bike and a trainer. At least when the weather gets better you can still use it for riding outside. So many exercise bikes make great clothes racks.
    Get a video, Spinervals are great for a workout, ride your trainer along to the video.
    Spin classes are great workouts.
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input and great ideas which ones would work best!! Starting at home like this I can stop once in a while to catch my breath until I am fit enough to join in a class once in a while. I will also be ready for the outdoor bike adventures come spring. You guys rock.
  • benzahornet
    benzahornet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Spinning is best done in classes. I wouldn't wait until you think you can succeed in a class or you will get bored with it at home. Found a gym that supports you at all levels. My instructor allowed me to sit and pedal slowly while others did jumps, hills etc. and encouraged me to work at my own pace. I can now keep up with the rest of the class. No one would have convinced me that this would happen when I started a year ago!!
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    In my experience, spinning classes can vary a LOT depending on the instructor. A good instructor provides a fabulous workout + a lot of fun...a bad one will lead to poor retention (since the class isn't enjoyable!) and could potentially cause injuries if they share erroneous technique information.

As benzahornet mentioned, don't worry about "practicing" at home - that's part of the beauty of spin classes. Everyone works at their own level (my "5/10" resistance can be wildly different than the person next to me!) and if you can't quite keep up with the pace, it's not going to affect anyone else's class - work as hard as YOU can and get a great workout!

Whatever you decide about the class, I recommend you check out this blog http://www.trihardist.com/p/cycling-workouts.html - a triathalon coach shares some of her spinning workouts for free! I've used all her free ones, purchased some of her for-sale ones, and love both her musical selection as well as her teaching style. (Heck, I used to play some of those workouts on speakers for groups of us to work out to on the ship when I was in the Navy!)

Good luck!
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check it out :) I have a feeling padded shorts may be a great plan as well!