To the people who lift - any tips for a beginner?

Options
2»

Replies

• 1ronbutterfly
    Options
    Bump!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Buy starting strength
    THIS

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe will give you all the knowledge you need to start getting strong. $10 for the Kindle version on Amazon.com.
  • MellMo1971
    MellMo1971 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Buy starting strength
    THIS

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe will give you all the knowledge you need to start getting strong. $10 for the Kindle version on Amazon.com.

I agree wholeheartedly, this is the best, most well informed book on the subject of lifting you can currently get, stuff like New Lifting Rules for Women is generally decent but then is sometimes filled with misinformation or general "knowledge" bunk, especially the dieting section, where, if I recall correctly, it enforces the outdated several-small-meals-a-day notion, or the you-must-eat-breakfast notion.

Ultimately, what makes Starting Strength the best is that it's thoroughly gender neutral, has a large focus on compound exercises (astoundingly important), and is the easiest to read, and to put it simply, most accurate lifting manual out there, but the, THE most important thing, is that a painstaking amount of time and pages is spent trying to get the beginner lifter (or hell, even advanced lifters still do crap wrong), to do things the right way, with good form and learning how to read your body better to get the most out of your lifting.
    It also focuses on a lot of miscellaneous subjects that will touch on things like nutrition (without spewing inaccurate crap), setting up your lifting regimen, and injuries.

One of the biggest parts to becoming a successful lifter is to learn how to properly use a barbell, because most benefit will come from there, that's where your squats, deadlifts, bench presses, shoulder presses, glute bridges, and etc. will come from. Dumbbells are alright (and in the cases of chest exercises, I think they're significantly more beneficial), but the barbell's importance cannot be overstated, and it's the place where the beginning lifter is usually, in almost all cases, the most lost.

Get Starting Strength.
  • fitspo145
    Options
    Buy starting strength
    THIS

I agree wholeheartedly, this is the best, most well informed book on the subject of lifting you can currently get, stuff like New Lifting Rules for Women is generally decent but then is sometimes filled with misinformation or general "knowledge" bunk, especially the dieting section, where, if I recall correctly, it enforces the outdated several-small-meals-a-day notion, or the you-must-eat-breakfast notion.

Ultimately, what makes Starting Strength the best is that it's thoroughly gender neutral, has a large focus on compound exercises (astoundingly important), and is the easiest to read, and to put it simply, most accurate lifting manual out there, but the, THE most important thing, is that a painstaking amount of time and pages is spent trying to get the beginner lifter (or hell, even advanced lifters still do crap wrong), to do things the right way, with good form and learning how to read your body better to get the most out of your lifting.
    It also focuses on a lot of miscellaneous subjects that will touch on things like nutrition (without spewing inaccurate crap), setting up your lifting regimen, and injuries.

One of the biggest parts to becoming a successful lifter is to learn how to properly use a barbell, because most benefit will come from there, that's where your squats, deadlifts, bench presses, shoulder presses, glute bridges, and etc. will come from. Dumbbells are alright (and in the cases of chest exercises, I think they're significantly more beneficial), but the barbell's importance cannot be overstated, and it's the place where the beginning lifter is usually, in almost all cases, the most lost.

Get Starting Strength.

Thank you! I found the advice on here so far incredibly helpful. I got a PDF version of Starting Strength from a friend a few days ago and it is enlightening to say the least! It puts so much emphasis on proper form it's great.

Thanks again everyone and to all the others who want to start lifting, I hope you guys find this thread useful as well. :)