Eating out!

Joynh
Joynh Posts: 14 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
My Mom asked me to pick up lunch! I was frozen in fear!!!! I didn't know how to pick teh right foods when ordering out! She wanted Apples Bees I said ok but looking at the online menu I just couldn't seem to find anything would not eat up half my days calories!! So now we are going to Panera and the choices were better! Help! How do i go out to eat and not eat poorly orfreak ojut! I'm so new to thinking about what I am eating its so hard!

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    You can order your food how you want it. Remember when you go out the portions are usually out of control. You don't have to eat it all. Cut it in half at least and save it for another meal. You can usually find items that are resonable in calories but the sodium is always tricky. Applebees has a menu of food that is usually under 500 calories I believe. You will get the hang of it. My best suggestion is to eat out as little as possible. When you want/have to eat out...control the portions.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Just remember that you can always ask for substitutions and customize meals..... think lean proteins, veggies, minimal sauces, nothing fried.... bread, pasta, chips, etc all add up in calories quickly. Grilled chicken or any lean protein over veggies or salad are good options. Panera makes great sandwiches! So, 1/2 sandwich and a side salad wouldn't be bad.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Try this website: http://healthydiningfinder.com/. It lists healthy options on menus or how you can order them to be healthy for a number of restaurants. Applebee's actually has an Under 600 Calorie section on their menu so I am surprised you didn't find some good options there.

Good luck!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    I agree, its about the portions. I always halve what I get on my plate at the restaurant. And most times, I don't bring home the rest. If it isn't in my fridge, I can't eat it train of thought working there.

The other thing I would tell you is to cut yourself a little slack. If there is something on the menu that you want to try or that you can't resist, go ahead... but only eat half, or even a third. Enjoy every bite!!! Sometimes I'm the last one eating and I've halved my plate!!!

L
  • Joynh
    Joynh Posts: 14 Member
    Ok!
    So Panara was great I had the poppy seed stawbery salad with chicken! It was really good and I only used about 2/3 the dressing and got an apple not teh bread! Then my sister wanted to go to cold stone creamery...yikes! They have a new amazing berry yogurt this site says 140 calories..not bad! I added chocolate chips! it was about compromise. Its about getting a little of what you want and a lot of what you need!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    If I know where I'm going, I like to come here or go to the restaraunt's website and look at the nutrition values for each meal. I went to brunch with my mom at Mimi's cafe last Sunday, and it took me probably a half hour to find something that would fit well with my nutrition needs, just because that place has huge portions of indulgent foods. It's SO nice to walk into a place and know EXACTLY what you want to order and what's in it.

I also default to the salad menu, but watch out for crunchies (tortilla strips or other little fried bits) and "normal" dressings that can have TONS of fat and carbs.
This discussion has been closed.