Okay, ranbdom question. I don't understand ...

Options
So, first of all, I am weird and do weird things just for the fun of it. I feel the need to explain this first off ...
So, over the past several days, I have been weighing myself periodically mostly just testing different scenarios. First, weighing in the morning, then drink a large glass of water and weigh again. Weight goes up a fraction of a pound. Interesting ... so then, I eat. Weigh again and I have gone up almost 2lbs....
So, I have done this several times the last few days just for kicks and giggles and completely understand how eating and drinking would cause instant weight gain. But, here is what I don't understand: how can you gain when not eating or drinking anything?
I did this the last couple mornings, wake up, weigh in, wait 2-3 hrs without consuming anything and weigh again and I weigh more. How? Where did that extra weight come from?
Before you say "it's because you are pregnant and growing" ... first, that's kinda ridiculous too and second, I am weird so I already made sure to rule that scenario out.
I did this to my best friend today. Weigh in, wait a few hours and weigh again. She weighs more.
My husband says "water retention" but how do you retain water you didn't consume?

Up for debate! What are your thoughts?

eta: I only just realized my typo in the title and now can't fix it. I apologize ahead of time and am sorry some of you will feel the need to point it out.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Maybe a hobby or job would be a fun idea.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Aliens. Absolutely aliens.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's called "gravity".
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    um.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Maybe a hobby or job would be a fun idea.

:laugh:

an increased level of the hormones estrogen and progesterone may do it...........otherwise, does it really matter? :frown:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mh1fmcVS0V1rk8p4uo1_500.gif
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It may not completely explain it, but maybe you aren't standing on the scale the same. At home scales use springs, and if those springs are compressed differently the result may be different.

I'll admit, I'm grasping here.

ETA: I assume the clothes don't change, right? You are wearing the same thing at both weighings?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Your first mistake is that you're assuming your $20 scale is perfectly accurate. I can step on a scale 3 times in a row and it won't necessarily give me the exact same reading every time. Your second mistake was not finding a better use of your spare time. Might I suggest weightlifting, world of warcraft or knitting?
  • elleru
    elleru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ambient room temperature may have an affect on the tensile strength of the metal springs inside your scale. This may cause a slight variation in accuracy. Or something.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    lol, I have 5 jobs. I am a mother and have many friends and hobbies. I am just weird. (Remember?)
    And, no, as far as the weight itself, it doesn't matter at all. I know weight fluctuates and I know over the next several months I will continue gaining weight. I don't care about the weight gain.
    It is more of a curiosity. A puzzlement stumbled upon in my own curiosity.
    I truly don't care about the weight gain. But, before this "study" I would have thought this impossible. I am just curious if anyone else has any ideas as to how ... ?
  • exercise2day2
    exercise2day2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have no answer, but I just wanted to say that I do love your query, and would be interested if some one actually knows the answer!
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    It may not completely explain it, but maybe you aren't standing on the scale the same. At home scales use springs, and if those springs are compressed differently the result may be different.

I'll admit, I'm grasping here.

ETA: I assume the clothes don't change, right? You are wearing the same thing at both weighings?

Sorry, TMI, but I don't wear anything when weighing.
  • Matt_1972
    Matt_1972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Do you have digital scales or older "analogue" ones?
  • whitlisd
    Options
    At the risk of sounding just as goofy, I have noticed this too and wonder what it's all about!!
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Your first mistake is that you're assuming your $20 scale is perfectly accurate. I can step on a scale 3 times in a row and it won't necessarily give me the exact same reading every time. Your second mistake was not finding a better use of your spare time. Might I suggest weightlifting, world of warcraft or knitting?

Can't start weightlifting now. Doctor says not to start anything new at this point and, frankly, weight lifting does not interest me. I hate WoW with such an angry passion! Knitting? Seriously? No.

I have actually tested this on my scale as well. In the past though, when reading a thread where someone else had said their scale would read differently every time.
    I weighed myself 5 times in a row on my scale and got the exact same number, down to the fraction.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Do you have digital scales or older "analogue" ones?

Digital
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Ambient room temperature may have an affect on the tensile strength of the metal springs inside your scale. This may cause a slight variation in accuracy. Or something.

Thank you! I like you now. Best argument I have heard yet, and actually possible if the scale can fluctuate based on temperature changes because I have been changing the temp in my house each morning after waking.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    At the risk of sounding just as goofy, I have noticed this too and wonder what it's all about!!

I really don't care if I sound goofy. You shouldn't care what people think. I very much remember explaining ahead of time that I am weird.
    I appreciate your tune in, when googling this I found there were several people out there that had posed the same question as me on various other websites. Every single one of them received snyde remarks for responses and no genuine insight.
    I had hoped someone here might have an idea, and be nice too.
  • Your scale has a certain amount of error between readings....

You will lose weight simply by breathing and exhaling moisture and CO2 and sweating.

a. Perspiration. Perspiration is a constant route for fluid loss. About 650 milliliters of perspiration are lost during a normal day by a healthy person. Along with water, a liter of perspiration has about 45 mEq of sodium, 4.5 mEq of potassium and 57.5 mEq of chloride. A normal person only becomes aware of the perspiration loss during very strenuous exercise or when the day is very hot. As a general rule, where sodium goes, water follows. That is why there is always sodium on the skin following heavy perspiration.

b. Respiration. Respiration occurs around-the-clock, but most people are not aware that they are exhaling fluid in the form of water vapor every time they breathe.We become aware of the vapor loss during cold weather when the vapor can be seen as it is exposed to low temperatures. About 450 milliliters of fluid are lost during a twenty-four hour period by respiration.

So variation in the measuring device or fluctuating gravity are the only possibilities for this scenario to be true..
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am also weird, but I am a knitting maniac. If knitting made one lose weight I wouldn't be seen with the naked eye.

Here is my weirdness- everybody says weigh first thing in the morning, after bathroom business, on the same scale. That's what I do. Then I get going, get dressed, have a drink, maybe eat, and wait an hour or two. Step on the scale again- I've dropped almost a pound.

My theory is that the scale likes screwing with one's head. Every.chance.it.gets.