Coming off Effexor is the worst experience of my life!

Options
Oh my gosh! Early this summer I started taking Effexor due to anxiety and depression. It was working great until I got a concussion from roller derby and started having panic attacks. So my doctor doubled my dose, then I was on 150mg. It helped immensely but then I found out I was pregnant and three weeks ago I cut my dose in half and the following week into quarters. Now this week I'm completely off and I feel the worst I've ever been. This was all done by the doctors recommendations.

I was reading online and many people liken it to an out of body experience. Feeling dizzy, nauseated, and completely out of control emotionally. I describe it like every time I move my head it feels like my brain is crashing into my skull, my vision and dept perception are impacted like I'm looking through a tunnel. There's a feeling like electricity is pulsating in my temples, and my body trembles!

Obviously, I am adding in the complexity of being pregnant so that just further increases the withdrawal symptoms. I am a mental health provider (LMSW) and truly believe that I would strongly advise people to determine if Effexor is a good choice. If I had any idea how terrible the withdrawal symptoms were going to be I'd definitely think twice. Some tips: Effexor works fantastic but if you don't plan to take an antidepressant/anxiety medication long term it may be best to keep that in mind. Also if there is a potential that you may become pregnant, strongly consider before starting on such a serious medication. I wish I would have tired a different medication that would have had less withdrawal symptoms!! Now my pregnancy was a complete surprise as I was on birth control, but until it's permanent the potential to get pregnant is there! As I and many others are evidence of.

Knowledge is power. Education on such powerful drugs can really help in decision making. Thank you for allowing me this platform to vent my concrrns. Any support you provide or self-soothing suggestions are welcome, as long as you can keep it from being an attack on my personality or character.

Replies

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's terrible! I'm on it, but at a very low dosage (so low the Dr has to get approval to prescribe it... bloody bureaucracy!). However, whenever I forget to take it, I notice similar symptoms - especially feeling giddy, teary and just blah. It's nasty. But I can't stand my life without it - I never want to go back to that depression again, so I'm happy to keep with it. And there's no chance of me getting pregnant (I'm gay), which I am now extremely pleased about!

Now, for support for you. I'm not sure what would help get over the symptoms? Are you allowed to take herbal anti-depressants when pregnant, like St Johns Wart (or whatever it's called)? I'm not sure if that would help. Or, could you take the quarter dose every second day, so you're easing off it a bit more than stopping completely? Did the Dr give you an idea of how long it would take for the withdrawals to stop? It really sounds horrid.

All the best, and good luck with your pregnancy. xxx
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Davy_RockHit214 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I am considering St. John's Wort but waiting until my OBGYN appointment which is Thursday. To be quite honest, I feel like my primary care physician did a poor job at preparing me as she never even mentioned withdrawal symptoms. I began noticing the symptoms as I titrated down and tried to do as much research as possible.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi I was told that effexor would be safe during pregnancy were you told otherwise?
    I'm not trying yet but have discussed it with my doctor.

I am on the highest dose you can take and have been on it for a few years my issues are genetic so therapy doesn't work and going off the drug is not an option either

I get withdrawal effects within 6 hours of skipping a normal dose and that is awful brain zaps and horrible nausea, migraines and upset tummy.

I have read of slowing down and weaning slower than you did (people actually open the capsule and count out the beads going to half then a quarter then stopping). I am not sure how long the withdrawal goes for hopefully not too long.

Hang in there and congrats on your pregnancy take care
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Options
    Evidently, there have not been conclusive studies on the effects of Effexor on fetuses. My doctor was only adamant that I discontinue after titrating off two weeks. She said that if my withdrawal symptoms or depression/anxiety continued to be significant, I could speak to my OBGYN about choices. Luckily my first appointment is this Thursday.
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I am considering St. John's Wort but waiting until my OBGYN appointment which is Thursday. To be quite honest, I feel like my primary care physician did a poor job at preparing me as she never even mentioned withdrawal symptoms. I began noticing the symptoms as I titrated down and tried to do as much research as possible.

Please, please, please get your Doctor's advice before taking St. John's Wort. It has many side effects. And if you do take it, stay out of the sun.
  • leigh__
    Options
    i took Effexor about 4 years ago, worst experience of my life! Felt as though my brain was swishing around in my skull and gave me worse side effects than the depression did. I would highly recommend getting your doctor or a professional to help you with your withdrawals, they can get nasty if not done properly (I had to be weaned off). Good luck with your pregnancy xx
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    That's why I kicked mine early. I got insomnia from it and my doctor wanted me to add another pill on top of the dosage I was taking, which would have knocked it WAY up their. So I said NO WAY and kicked it 100% cold turkey. I had mood swings and headaches for 2 weeks. But then after that I increased my exercise and my depression and anxiety went away. But could be due to also losing my 43lbs, as my doctor said mine was due to hormonal imbalance and such.

:( sorry to hear your having issues.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    congrats on your upcoming bundle of joy!

I've never been on anti depressants but my son tried different meds on several occasions - and has been off all meds for a few years (no intention of going back). the anti depressants made him MORE depressed and caused all kinds of unwanted side effects (gained weight, spaced out etc).

I'm not saying that they are overall bad, and i knwo that for some people they work, but our experience was very bad. Thankfully, with therapy and a lot of hard work he is managing on his own.
  • amy1691
    amy1691 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    some capsule are extended release formula and dont work properly if they are being opened and ingested
    this medication should always be supervised by your doctor and they can plan and supervise any change in dosage or withdrawing safely
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Options
    I was just reading on how St. John's Wort can actually be harmful. I will definitely be talking to the dr before making any further changes. Lesson learned on how being unaware can really lead to trouble. Was reading about someone else's similar symptoms and they described it as zapping in the brain! It sure feels that way. Hopeful to get the average length of symptom withdrawal. .. 4-6 weeks!

As it stands, my primary care physician told me to go down to 75mg then 45mg (tablet form) & then stop altogether. I had considered trying to cut the quarter in half but I always do what the doctor says and here I am.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    ((((hugs)))) hang in there!
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yep

I honestly thought I was going to die coming off that stuff.
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    That's terrible! I changed to Efexor from Lexapro, due to my anxiety not improving and not being where I should be at yet. I am scared about when I go off it (if I do). I am going to be taking it long term though and should be ok, I didn't get any side effects coming off of Lexapro.
  • fimoore68
    fimoore68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been on Paxil (same sort of AD)on and off for the the last 16 years, because of the withdrawal symptoms I always end up back on it albeit at a lower dose. I had been on it for about 8 months when I got pregnant and so I weaned myself off it over a few weeks. At the time I just thought I had really bad morning sickness but now know it was the withdrawal. After the dizzy/flu kind of feelings subside there will be times when anxiety seems really awful for a long time to come. These go after a couple of days and you have to just go with it, trying to make it go away makes it worse, just ride with it and think, "here we go!'. Anyways I did end up going back it when my bub was 10 months and wished I hadn't now as I have been on and off it for so long. One of these days I will wean off it really really slowly like over a year.
    I really sympathise with you with withdrawing while in pregnancy but it will be best for your baby and ultimately you if you mange to stay off it. Keep exercising and get some endorphins going! Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy! You will get a nice present at the end for all your efforts.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i wanted to add something - a friend of mine's DIL suffers from depression and has been off and on meds. I don't know exactly why (hormones, something?) but every time she is pregnant, she does really well - off all meds, and no symptoms of depression. maybe that will be the case here?
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was on Effexor for 9 years. Eventually realized after switching Drs, it was making me nuttier.
    It took me a good 4 months to taper off of that stuff. I had tried before to wean off, but symptoms of withdrawal made me go back to it. It was not until I met my new Dr that he tapered me off of it VERY SLOWLY. Like I said, 4 months. I didn't have any of the symptoms of withdrawal I had experienced before.
  • lacaniangaze
    lacaniangaze Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Effexor was great for my depression, but the withdrawl is pretty awful. I had luck with dramamine for the brain zaps. I don't think I ever got over the withdrawls -- I started on Cymbalta (for my fibromyalgia) while finishing the Effexor titration. Planning to try to get pregnant in the new year, but I will stay on Cymbalta.
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback and support. I have to say that just hearing the symptoms are common is relief in itself. My poor husband. I totally sobbed for an hour last night due to being overwhelmed. I am usually so level headed and just not myself at this time. Support is so helpful! Thanks everyone :)
  • Christiethorn1
    Christiethorn1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been on Effexor since losing my mom 6 years ago. I never want to be without it, I truly believe it makes me a better wife and mother. I found out I was pregnant after I had been on it for a few months, I was on a lower dosage (still am) of 75mg. I continued to take that my entire pregnancy and for the 9th month my dr weaned me off very slowly. She weaned me off slow enough that I did not have many side effects, but I was ETREMELY *****Y :). I went back on a few months later and I am still on. P.S. The pregnancy produced a beautiful, perfect boy who is now 5.
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Options
    I spoke with my friend who is a nurse and she suggested I talk to the doctor about getting on Prozac while in my beginning stages of therapy since it has been proven to be ok to use while pregnant.