Anyone run with a Headtorch?

Options
_Zardoz_
_Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
Anyone run with a head torch. The nights are drawing in and as much as I can get a lot of runs in in daylight there are some I will have to do in the dark or reduced light. Where I live in mid winter it sometimes doesn't really get light until 10am and can be dark again by 4pm. Its quite rural so even the routes around town aren't really well lit. So does anyone run with a head torch in the winter? What should I be looking for in a model (i'm not made of money so it has to be reasonably priced). How do I stop being annoyed by something on my head. Advice and hints greatly received Thanks very much

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've got a rechargeable LED Petzl model (Tikka XP) that really lights up the path (has high, low and blink settings). IIRC it cost around $50 or $60 (I bought it several years ago).

The first few times you use it you'll notice it but you become accustomed to it very quickly (you want the head strap tight enough that it doesn't move but not too snug). In colder weather when I'm wearing a toque I don't even notice it.

The bonus of owning one of these is that it's also really handy around the house when you need a light but also need your hands free.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I've got a rechargeable LED Petzl model (Tikka XP) that really lights up the path (has high, low and blink settings). IIRC it cost around $50 or $60 (I bought it several years ago).

The first few times you use it you'll notice it but you become accustomed to it very quickly (you want the head strap tight enough that it doesn't move but not too snug). In colder weather when I'm wearing a toque I don't even notice it.

The bonus of owning one of these is that it's also really handy around the house when you need a light but also need your hands free.

All of this. I have a different model Petzel though.
  • _Zardoz_
    Options
    Thanks I'll have a look at the petzl ones
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I too have a petzl it adjust to 5 different positions and 3 different light options. Very happy with it and it came in handy during a power outages.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I bought a Streamlight 61400 from amazon, mostly because it's cheap (I paid $13 USD). I do the bulk of my runs between 3am-8am so I like having it. Has two brightness levels, and for real full on dark I use the stronger of the two, and it's adjustable so I can set the beam about 20 paces ahead of me.

I've been using it for maybe the last six months, and I haven't had to change the battery yet, so that's a plus.

I may end up ordering a more serious one at some point, but since I'm not planning to do any racing that lasts a whole day (yet..) I don't really feel the need to have a more expensive one...
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have a Petzl as well -- these are really designed with runners in mind. Minimal bouncing, nice bright light, good battery life. If you need to conserve battery (for a super-long run or just to save your batteries), you can put it on the medium light level and it still gives plenty of light, but lasts about 5 times as long.

I recommend getting Eneloop rechargeable batteries for it -- they are expensive but hold a charge much better than standard rechargeables.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'd rather fall off a cliff into a ravine or get hit by a mac truck then run with a head lamp.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    I use a Coleman Max headlamp. Works like a charm, lightweight and cost $10. Good luck!
  • davemunger
    Options
    i'd rather fall off a cliff into a ravine or get hit by a mac truck then run with a head lamp.

I say the same thing about running on a treadmill. Some of us need to run in dark places, and headlamps make that possible.

One of my "favorite" things is nearly crashing into runners who are wearing dark clothing and no lights. They somehow think that since they can see me with my headlamp and reflective gear that I will see them and get out of their way.
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I asked similar not so long ago and someone pointed me to Alpkit headtorches.

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16345&category_id=288

I'm using mine to run the trails at 5am, when the woods are in total darkness and the rain has been lashing down (so hardly any moonlight either), it's brilliant value for money and had great reviews in one of the running magazines as well.

Edited to add: I was worried it'd feel strange running with something on my head but to be honest you forget it's there. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I say the same thing about running on a treadmill. Some of us need to run in dark places, and headlamps make that possible.

One of my "favorite" things is nearly crashing into runners who are wearing dark clothing and no lights. They somehow think that since they can see me with my headlamp and reflective gear that I will see them and get out of their way.

That and cyclists..........I frequently run on recreational paths, I have a red blinking LED (called a "turtle" and costs about $4) clipped onto the back of my head strap so the cyclists coming up behind me can see me from quite a distance.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    welp... you know, i have been planning on getting more outdoor running and cycling done. the only time i'll have to do it is probably early morning, so i'm going to invest in some lights for my bike.

i don't usually run in the dark, but i do wear bright colors.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I got a 3 pack of headlamps from Costco last year for $10 LOL. They worked well enough for dusk (the last 15 minutes of my runs were typically at dusk). I also wore blinking LED tights for visability.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    i keep a petzl in my hikiing backpack and have thought about breaking it out for running. My main concern is potholes and cracks in the roads, although most of the routes i run have streetlights here an there. My question would be if there is anyone has tried attaching the light to the waist, instead of the head. I know that some hikers prefer that, but it might be tougher on runners because have less gear to strap it to. Just curious.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Sheesh, really!? I don't even notice mine.
  • _Zardoz_
    Options
    Thanks for the advice lots of research to look at
  • davemunger
    Options
    i keep a petzl in my hikiing backpack and have thought about breaking it out for running. My main concern is potholes and cracks in the roads, although most of the routes i run have streetlights here an there. My question would be if there is anyone has tried attaching the light to the waist, instead of the head. I know that some hikers prefer that, but it might be tougher on runners because have less gear to strap it to. Just curious.

I have a friend who wears his around his chest -- just expands the strap to the full length and stretches it around. Most runners prefer it on the head. I find I need to wear a hat to keep it from bouncing around too much.

Potholes and cracks are pretty easy to see with a headlamp. The problems are little dips and swales that don't have a distinct crack -- definitely harder to see. But even running on unfamiliar roads with no streetlights I don't think I've ever had a fall when using a headlamp.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I have a friend who wears his around his chest -- just expands the strap to the full length and stretches it around. Most runners prefer it on the head. I find I need to wear a hat to keep it from bouncing around too much.

Potholes and cracks are pretty easy to see with a headlamp. The problems are little dips and swales that don't have a distinct crack -- definitely harder to see. But even running on unfamiliar roads with no streetlights I don't think I've ever had a fall when using a headlamp.

Thanks Dave...I'll have to dig mine out. I run early enough to run down the crown of the road for most of my runs. Ironically, that's where many of the older roads crack and holes develop. And, I agree, those little dips can be troublesome. For me the issue is the worst when I am trying to maintain a pace and I run into a dark area. A light of some sort would help.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I use a petzl but have heard really good things about the alpkit ones... They are much cheaper as well
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Also have a Petzl. I've had it for a while but I think it was less than $20. It's very lightweight and comfortable.