Getting your macro nutrients dead on!!

so I am pretty sure when you first start on your journey you look to calories as empty numbers and rely on the numerical value but in fact you need to make sure your calories are counted in the correct groups.

you cant go and eat 3 large pastries at 500 cals for the day and expect to loose weight? this is packed with carbs and sugars and will put you so far behind!

what you need to know is your macro nutrients! proteins are your best friends for loosing weight and providing your body with fat burning power!

carbs are the energies used first so if you want to get rid of your own fat surplus overloading your system with carbs is not clever!!

this is why you need to be sure what those calories are comprised of.. (protein, fat, carbs)

if you need help organising your foods into these groups I will be more than happy to help you can IM me and I will assist you with a plan

Replies

• rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    But I love my carbs!!!!
  • Hehe - could have done with your help yesterday. : ) Wondered why I was having trouble fulfilling my macros, some over, some under, but generally having a whole lot of calories left over. Discovered for a start that my protein was set by default to only 15%. Still trying to find the right balance - not really sure what it should be. Maybe 25%-30% is a good starting place for me though. 15% was way low.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Mmm, nope.

You can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you're taking in less calories than you're burning. You might not feel good. You might not look good. You wont really be 'fit' or 'healthy'. But you will lose weight.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat/
    Scroll down to The Twinkie Diet.
  • you may be taking in less calories but you not getting the necessary proteins and good fats and carbs in order to feed your body... you'll lose muscle because your body needs protein and you'll be at higher risk for cholesterol and sugar problems... weight loss will be mainly muscle.. aint nobody got time for that :) you'll get flabby that's not what fitness or bodily well being is about.

I hear you on a calorie deficiency but in the long run Twinkies aren't going to help you get definition and be healthy... your body will obviously lose fat with muscle if you have that much fat to loose because it needs to take from body stores to fulfil daily needs of the body. (Twinkie guy had it in the 30% region)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Why do we need one of these tidbits of wisdom everyday? You can totally lose weight eating outside your macros and all your muscle won't fall off if you don't hit your protein macro.

If you want to go off on one of these tangents then start with some facts and work it from there because you really aren't offering any information here. There's a difference between losing weight, losing weight in a healthy way and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

I'm chalking this one up to newbie overzealousness to share newfound wisdom.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    you cant go and eat 3 large pastries at 500 cals for the day and expect to loose weight? this is packed with carbs and sugars and will put you so far behind!

Sure you can...a deficet is a deficet when it comes to losing weight.

Now if you are talking health, fat loss and body recomp yes Macro's come into play but otherwise eat what you want stay at a reasonable deficet and you will lose weight and maintain some of your LBM as you do lose....as the poster above said muscle wont fall off from not hitting macros.

ETA and most macros are minimums not a goal to hit and stick to...esp Protien and fats...
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Mmm, nope.

You can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you're taking in less calories than you're burning. You might not feel good. You might not look good. You wont really be 'fit' or 'healthy'. But you will lose weight.

Why would someone want to lose weight and not feel good, not be healthy and not be fit? it doesn't make any sense to me. :/
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Mmm, nope.

Why would someone want to lose weight and not feel good, not be healthy and not be fit? it doesn't make any sense to me. :/

I didn't say that anyone would want to.

I was just saying that the wisdom of the OP ("you can't eat 3 x 500 calorie pasties a day and loose [sic] weight") is incorrect.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Please, for the love of all that is good, stop demonizing carbs.

If your focus is weight loss ONLY- All you need to worry about is calories in versus out.
    If your focus is overall fitness/maintaining muscle- Yes, pay attention to your macros.

With that being said, everyone has different needs when it comes to Macros. Some people need a larger percentage of carbs, for example, to support their goals.

If anyone is actually interested in calculating this for themselves, I've included a link below since OP didn't provide any tools to actually help anyone. :huh:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • Get the proteins/fats you need and fill the rest with carbs.
    Most journals I've checked get nowhere near enough fats.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    :huh: