Success question

Options
VeryKerri
VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
Okay so I wasn't sure which board to post this too...lol

I have been heavy almost my whole life and Very heavy for all of my adult life. I am currently 34 years old. I have already lost a good amount of weight with a lot more to go. I am ok with this and I am doing great so far. My questions is this, I have some pretty flabby skin and lots of stretch marks and some major bat wings for arms. I would like to know if anyone in my age area 30-40 who lost a lot of weight 50 or more pounds, has had their skin go back to normal or even somewhat normal? I am sure I have done some damage to the skin, but I want to know if I have completely blown the elasticity in it??? Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know I'm not in your age range but I just wanted to comment. I don't know if it's going to pay off in the long run or not but I started using some skin firming lotion. It's worth a shot if you ask me, it's not gonna hurt ya thats for sure.

You are doing great by the way. Keep up all your hard work!
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    you coulda asked me silly! well i won't be 30 for a couple months yet but then again i decided i'll never be 30....i'm going to be 20-10! but yeah i'm right around your weight range and i've lost 50lbs as of today!!! well thus far my skin's been going back. my arms are nuts but i'm starting to see them go back. i've been using lotion that promotes elasticity to try and make it go back to normal. i even hada back fat roll almost all but disappear lately. it used to hang over my pants in back and it's all but gone now. thighs appear to be shrinking too.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I lost the same amount a few years ago and I did tighten up but you need to do toning along the way.. I walked my treadmill and toned my belly. i can't remember my arms but I think they got toned also. Use some weight for the arms and walk alot. Good Luck
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I lost the same amount a few years ago and I did tighten up but you need to do toning along the way.. I walked my treadmill and toned my belly. i can't remember my arms but I think they got toned also. Use some weight for the arms and walk alot. Good Luck
    yeah i forgot to mention toning. i've been doing pilates. love it!
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I actually have been doing some strenght training as well as cardio. I can feel a difference in the muscles, I just hope the flab will go down some... I will try the firming lotions also.

Thanks everyone!
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I've read up a lot on this,I'm not in quite that range but I use to be pretty big from lifting a lot of weight ,(power lifting).I still lift but it's just for exercise,not anything real heavy,anyway I have stretch marks and some loose skin around my bicep/chest/shoulder area as I have lost some muscle.The one thing I can lend to your question is that according to the studies I have read ,you will experience some elasticity reshaping from weight loss and exercise ,and the lotions believe it or not will help a little ,but the main thing is this ,as you age you loose that ability to bounce back so to speak.So advice would be to get it while you can,your age 30 to 40 is right there on that border,after 40 it starts getting harder and harder for your skin to bounce back..
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Over the years I have taken care of many patients who have lost large amounts of weight for various reasons.

Much of it depends on how fast you lose it and if your exercising along the way, the genetics play a part, do you have elastic type skin and some just takes time. Once the skin is stretched way out and if it has been for a long time you will have loose skin, just a fact. Stretch marks are there for life, but can be minimized. As the weight stays off longer and longer the skin will shirk some.

So each and everyone of us will be different. Kind of like your friend who looks great the day after they had a baby and me who looked like I was still expecting for months.
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info here. Thanks everyone :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!