Logging Weight while in maintenance

Options

Replies

• sivartk
    sivartk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've recorded mine once a week for the past 2 1/2 years using excel. To help see long term trends I also created a graph with a 5 week exponential moving average. Basically takes the average of the year and gives a higher "weight" to the last 5 weeks. (Then again, I only recorded once a week while I was losing 45+ pounds.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for seven months now. While losing weight, I weighed myself weekly. While maintaining, I'm weighing myself monthly. I'm only now beginning to think that maybe I can lessen that to every month & a half or two months.
    I also dropped another pound or more when I first went onto maintenance and I did log it.
    Maintaining takes a bit of getting used to. You'll gain about 3-5 lbs of glycogen. This is normal and should be expected. After that, you should steady out. Continue to log your food and your weight until you find that balance where maintenance is truly occurring. It takes awhile and you'll want to see the trends as you find what works for you.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance and log every day (13 weeks pregnant and they want me to not to lose nor gain since my BMI is still high). I weigh in every day so I can see my daily fluctuations. Honestly, it's also for the fear I WON'T stay in maintenance if I don't...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I record new lows and also new inches lost (which is more important).

Most people regain. You need to know you will bounce within a zone, but be conscientious about staying in that zone.

Yes that's my thoughts - I am aiming to stay within a range of 3 kg - 1.5 either side of my ideal weight.
    If I fall outside of this I will reset my calorie allowance -if I fluctuate within it, I will leave things alone.

I plan to continue logging my weight weekly - same as I did when I was losing.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and log once a week. I am trying to stay within three pounds of my goal weight. I recently went four pounds over that. I am starting to take that off by cutting down on sugar and eating three meals a day. Unless I get really hungry I am not snacking. Snacking triggers me to want to eat more especially at night. I am also trying to eat a larger lunch and going easier on dinner. Also trying to get better sleep. I notice when I don't sleep well I also put on weight.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    bump for later comment
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I log all food/drink, weigh weekly, measure monthly.

I have been in maintenance for 2.5 years and apart from 6 months off the site -when I gained 10 lb- have found logging keeps me accountable.
  • ardithann5
    ardithann5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi all I log weight only on Sunday eeekekk once a week stepped on the scale one day and it said NA 0000 ahahaha everybody has an opinion hahahhahaha so just once a week just glad to see the little that goes.. yeah team.. 1 day at a time.. :flowerforyou:
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for 2 years now. I weigh myself once a month usually and log it. When I get to the high end of my happy weight (which I'm at now) then I know to clean up my act a bit and will log once a week until I'm back to the low end of my happy weight. I let myself fluctuate between 123-127 and as I get closer to 127 I'll try to clean up my diet and do better. I do log my food every day though, so that helps.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Logging everyday. I'm 1.70 cm and went from 70 to 60 kg (my goal) but since I started strength training I feel the need to be a bit heavier. Kept at 61 kg for a year, now considering to go to 63 or 64 (muscle gain, not fat or water)… Hard work :/
  • oneman1
    oneman1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am just 1 pound short of the top of my goal range ( 6 ) for the bottom, I have not logged food for a few weeks as I'm trying to not rely on logging but learn what calories are in different foods. I also started the couch to 10k fitness programme 7 weeks ago. Just weighed myself now and have lost 0.5 lbs in a month, although my waist has gone down by 2 inches. Hopefully if I can continue during the winter with a continued run I will be in a better place come the new year.
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    it will always change a bit
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I log my weight atleast once a week now because in the past ive found that not logging leads to eventually gaining weight back. If you keep logging your less likely to let yourself slip up , especially if you catch yourself gaining a few pounds. The hard part is logging and not stressing yourself out over it.:laugh:
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost 3 years. I weigh every morning, have been since just prior to surgery and will weigh every day from now on. The only time I don't weigh is if we're traveling and I don't have a scale. I do NOT log my weight daily on MFP just because I am 142 - 144 every morning. The last time I changed it was when I dropped from 146 to 143 and stayed there for about ten days! I am not sure why I lost, but I did and it's staying there.

It's important that I do not become complacent, I have to weigh and/or measure my food, weigh myself and log my food. It's easy and as natural to me as breathing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I record it in a different app...I don't need MFP to tell me I "lost weight" or whatever when all I had was a natural body weight fluctuation or dropped a bigger deuce than usual...
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself regularly but don't enter anything on mfp unless it is more than 3 lb difference and consistant over a week
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I record it in a different app...I don't need MFP to tell me I "lost weight" or whatever when all I had was a natural body weight fluctuation or dropped a bigger deuce than usual...
    You can turn that off... I did long ago for the same reason. I don't MFP congratulating me on my weight fluctuations.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I still weigh myself everyday, just to keep track. I'll log it if there's a consistent change over more than about 2-3 days.
    I rejoined here at my goal weight, so now if I'm over that (which is lower than where I thought I'd be, so going a few lbs over isn't too big of a deal), it just says I haven't lost anything, not that I've gained, which I thought was interesting!
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I love to see comments that say, "I have been in maintenance for ___ YEARS"!
  • jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost 2 years.

I have yoyoed I went from 34 inch waist to 36. Stable on current weight, starting to log again every day. I weigh once a month right now. I am now 230 and have stayed there for almost 1 1/2 years. Time to get back down to 200.

I am much healthier than I was 3 years ago. I have been biking, great way to exercise. This year I did not eat back my calories from exercise. Do not become complacent, I have to weigh and/or measure my food, weigh myself and log my food. If I don't I will go back to see food diet. We all know were that leads.

Thanks to my wife for helping me realize logging is a life change and natural.

Cheers
    Jim