Half Marathon Training (Winter) Advice/ Tips

Options
Right now I can run 7 miles at around 9-10 minute mile (I'm really slow!)
I'd like to train for a half marathon and I'd like to start training NOW even though winter is just around the corner.
I don't have a treadmill at home and I can't hog the gym's treadmill for 2 hours (I'd also just look like a cardio freak if i did that).
So I'd like to continue to workout outside!! BUTTTT I don't have any winter workout gear, because in the winter I usually switch to indoor cardio. Any advice for running outside in the winter, and do you have an suggestion on winter gear that isn't super expensive? (I'm on a tight budget).

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Always dress for weather that's 20° warmer. You might be cold when start your run but you will quickly warm up. I don't know where you are so I don't how cold it will get. Down here in the south we don't have very cold winters so I usually get by with a warm top, gloves, and a warm hat. I will still wear shorts in the 30's and be comfortable as long as my upper body is warm. Dress in layers with moisture wicking material at the base. A decent windproof jacket is great over that. If you have Ross/Marshalls/TJ Max near you then check them occasionally for running gear. They seem to have a decent stock of women's gear and my wife usually finds a good deal there. Not so much for men as it's mostly really long shorts and typical basketball stuff. I also like Target for good affordable workout clothes.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Location?

Winter gear will be greatly different dependent upon your local. Usually thin layers though.

What training are you planning on doing that you'd need the treadmill 2 hrs. At your pace you'd complete 1/2 of one in less than an hour. Were you thinking of running a half as training?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are you following a training plan? 9-10 minute miles are not slow!

Thin layers. You'll warm up when running, so you wont need bulky items. But extremities will get cold, so fine gloves, or sleeves that hook over your thumbs, are good. I also love my headband and buff. A kightweight high-viz jacket is useful too.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    What training are you planning on doing that you'd need the treadmill 2 hrs. At your pace you'd complete 1/2 of one in less than an hour. Were you thinking of running a half as training?

The long run pace will be slower than race pace so it's totally possible to have a 2-hour training run. I'm also training for a half and will get up to 12 miles as my longest training run at 10:00 pace, so there's 2 hours.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

The long run pace will be slower than race pace so it's totally possible to have a 2-hour training run. I'm also training for a half and will get up to 12 miles as my longest training run at 10:00 pace, so there's 2 hours.

To each their own I guess. I never touched that when prepping for 1/2 distance. 45min-1hr.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options

I agree, training runs for a half can easily get to 2 hours for a training run. You are looking for time on feet so its about running for longer rather than faster initially.

To the OP, Layers are your friend in the winter as you can easily remove clothing if you get too warm. It also depends on how cold it gets where you are. I normally buy all my winter essentials in the sale beginning of summer. so keep a lookout next year!

For really cold days, I normally wear long cold compression leggings, I also wear a base layer and a short sleeves top. If its windy/actively snowing I add a lightweight jacket. I also alternate my headband with my baseball cap. If I get too warm, I wrap my jacket around my waist.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am also going to start training this winter for a March half marathon and am at a similar pace! I ran through the winter (outside) last year, and found that it is trial and error to see what is most comfortable.

Here is what works for me:

Winter I usually don't take water unless I am running probably close to 6 miles or so. If I am running more than 8 miles I will usually have some fuel halfway through. I like the honey stinger gel packets because it is the same consistency/taste as just having honey and I don't want to have to chew on gummies, etc. I have a 12 oz hand held ergonomic water bottle, I don't like having a belt around my waist while I run. I usually run in a lightweight/midweight longsleeve top/jacket over a moisture wicking tank or tee. I have warm running tights and tall socks, lightweight gloves and an earband.

Good luck!
  • linaa13
    Options
    I live in New Hampshire
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Gloves and a good windbreaker are most important. You can wear MUCH less clothes(layers) if you have a good windbreaker jacket. Smart wool makes some great socks too.
    I have picked up winter running clothes at marshall's & TJ maxx. You can find sales at lot of places.

If your half is well far out in advance, meaning you have lots of time to work up mileage, I would definitely suggest taking your long run out to 15 miles. It will just prepare you that much more if you want to finish "comfortably", rather than just finish.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Wow, Just getting ready to discuss this with my running group many of whom haven't done winter running yet. Just to frame this, I am a running coach for the Running Room here in Canada. I happen to live in a sometimes cold place... often referred to as Winterpeg... I know a fair bit about running in all environments as that is what we see here. Our temperatures range from +40 degrees Celcius (100 F) to -40 degrees Celcius ( yes that is a minus sign -40 F). I run outside year round. So when I talk about winter running, it is based on extreme running experience. Yes, A location would be helpful but here goes my advice;

1. Dress as though its 10 degree's celcius warmer outside. For obvious reasons the body heats up when we run.
    2. Layers - base layer or moisture wicking tech fabric (under armour?) Followed by a wind breaking shell. Add an insulating fleece in between these as the temp's drop. I normally wear Underarmour, Polar fleece and a heavier wind breaker on those very cold days (think -30 C).
    3. Double layer socks are usually sufficient, but you may also want to consider SmartWool socks or doubling up.
    4. I normally wear Running tights on the legs (yes real mean wear tights :laugh: ) followed by a wind resistant pant when its really cold. My tights have neoprene patches on the front of the legs to help with the wind chill.
    5. Hat\Toque and Scarf made of polar fleece.
    6. Convertable gloves\mitts... Mine are a wind resistant shell, with a fleece liner that convert from gloves to mittens by adjusting a snap. I tend to run very hot and shock people when they see me running without any gloves on when it is minus 20.

Traction -> There are many different options if you are planning to run where its icy. The cheapest of which is some short hex head screws in the bottom of your running shoes. Yak traks and Due North are traction aids that slip over your existing shoes and basically act as cleats into the ice.

Vaseline -> A dab of vaseline on each cheek will reduce windburn on your cheeks.

Sunglasses -> for those bright days where you could end up with snow blindness (if you want to go extreme).

A few other thoughts....

Ipods, Garmins and Phones do freeze and die in cold temps. I keep these items inside close to the skin and not on outer layers. I normally tuck most of these into a zip lock bag and place them in an inside jacket pocket to keep them dry and warm.

The same thought applies to fluids. It always surprises people when you bring out the word dehydration and winter in the same sentence. Dehydration remains a constant no matter what the temperatures.

Most importantly follow some good common sense rules. If the weather is too bad, stay indoors. Always let people know where you are going and when you will be back. Giving them a route is even better as then they can pull you out of the deep freeze before you turn into a popsicle.

Lastly... Have Fun! Winter is an exciting and fun time to be outdoors running. Just don't forget to play safe!

PS. If you have any questions, I would be happy to assist. Feel free to add me.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I won't reiterate the advice on *what* to wear, but once you get a good idea, here's some ideas on *where* to get it:

Target has some surprisingly good workout get with their C9 stuff. start there for baselayers. I have several pieces.

Goodwill (at least here in Colo) often has a big pile of 'barely used' workout gear. People buy the good stuff thinking they'll work out and after a year in the closet they get rid of it.

Watch the sales at outdoor stores like REI. Last year's model can sometimes be closed out for cheap as the new model comes in this fall. Check the REI.com outlet too.

I've gotten LOADS of workout and backpacking gear from SteepAndCheap.com
    For those not familiar, its a one-deal-at-a-time site where a single model of something in lots of sizes is put up for 5-20 mins at discounts of 50% or more...when the item sells out, or time expires, a new deal is put up.
    Use the iPhone app to get a peek of not only the current item, but the next 6-7 in line too.

This site also runs a 'store' called the "Gear Cache" where they pick a theme like "Womens' Trail Running' or 'Oakley' and offer 15-50 items from that theme for 2-3 days.
    A few weeks ago I bought a Marmot brand running jacket that was normally 199 for 65 from the Gear Cache....I bought a pair pair of Merrell Mix Master2 aeroblock trail runners normally like 109 for 39 a few days ago on SaC.

Watch long enough and you will literally see everything you need for running this winter.
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow, Just getting ready to discuss this with my running group many of whom haven't done winter running yet. Just to frame this, I am a running coach for the Running Room here in Canada. I happen to live in a sometimes cold place... often referred to as Winterpeg... I know a fair bit about running in all environments as that is what we see here. Our temperatures range from +40 degrees Celcius (100 F) to -40 degrees Celcius ( yes that is a minus sign -40 F). I run outside year round. So when I talk about winter running, it is based on extreme running experience. Yes, A location would be helpful but here goes my advice;

1. Dress as though its 10 degree's celcius warmer outside. For obvious reasons the body heats up when we run.
    2. Layers - base layer or moisture wicking tech fabric (under armour?) Followed by a wind breaking shell. Add an insulating fleece in between these as the temp's drop. I normally wear Underarmour, Polar fleece and a heavier wind breaker on those very cold days (think -30 C).
    3. Double layer socks are usually sufficient, but you may also want to consider SmartWool socks or doubling up.
    4. I normally wear Running tights on the legs (yes real mean wear tights :laugh: ) followed by a wind resistant pant when its really cold. My tights have neoprene patches on the front of the legs to help with the wind chill.
    5. Hat\Toque and Scarf made of polar fleece.
    6. Convertable gloves\mitts... Mine are a wind resistant shell, with a fleece liner that convert from gloves to mittens by adjusting a snap. I tend to run very hot and shock people when they see me running without any gloves on when it is minus 20.

Traction -> There are many different options if you are planning to run where its icy. The cheapest of which is some short hex head screws in the bottom of your running shoes. Yak traks and Due North are traction aids that slip over your existing shoes and basically act as cleats into the ice.

Vaseline -> A dab of vaseline on each cheek will reduce windburn on your cheeks.

Sunglasses -> for those bright days where you could end up with snow blindness (if you want to go extreme).

A few other thoughts....

Ipods, Garmins and Phones do freeze and die in cold temps. I keep these items inside close to the skin and not on outer layers. I normally tuck most of these into a zip lock bag and place them in an inside jacket pocket to keep them dry and warm.

The same thought applies to fluids. It always surprises people when you bring out the word dehydration and winter in the same sentence. Dehydration remains a constant no matter what the temperatures.

Most importantly follow some good common sense rules. If the weather is too bad, stay indoors. Always let people know where you are going and when you will be back. Giving them a route is even better as then they can pull you out of the deep freeze before you turn into a popsicle.

Lastly... Have Fun! Winter is an exciting and fun time to be outdoors running. Just don't forget to play safe!

PS. If you have any questions, I would be happy to assist. Feel free to add me.

Thanks for these tips! I am looking at signing up for my first half-marathon soon and I was worried that my training would halt in the winter. I'm in southern Ontario and I know these tips will come in handy!