Exercises to tone arms

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of some exercises to help tone my arms that don't involve purchasing weights (basically stuff that doesn't involve equipment). I've heard push ups are good?

Anything else?

Cheers!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Without equipment, there aren't many options besides pushups. If they're too hard, place your hands on table, rail, etc.
    If you aren't tired after 12 repetitions, use a lower hand position.

For each set of "pushing" exercises like pushups, do an equal number of "pulling", like this bodyweight row:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E_1onVeY7k

Don't forget your legs - the biggest muscle group of all. Squats and lunges are the staples.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Google body weight exercises.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Pull Ups/Chin ups will work both the back and biceps.

You can also do dips for triceps. Simply sit use a chair. Put your feet on something of equal height and place your hands on the chair and your butt out in front, lowering yourself up and down.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    There are all kinds of bodyweight exercises. Yoga has a lot, with plank variations probably being the most widely known. But also try the balance poses that involve arms (in different ways), handstands, and even wheel or camel (variation with arms back to feet, holding your weight). Staff pose where you lift your body is also great, but that might just be considered another balance pose.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Pushups, Dips (you can do it on the edge of a couch or go find some parallel bars in a park), chin-ups.
  • Cruisngal123
    Cruisngal123 Posts: 1 Member
    I noticed the my fitness pal site doesn't give you calorie burn credit when you lift weights? Is that correct?
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    I noticed the my fitness pal site doesn't give you calorie burn credit when you lift weights? Is that correct?
    Correct, because MFP calculates based on time, and that's a terrible way to estimate weight lifting.

Lifting a 45 pound dumbbell will fire up more muscles (and burn more calories) than lifting 45 pounds with a cable. Both of which fire up more calories than using a machine. Shoulder presses with a dumbbell while standing burns more calories than shoulder presses with a dumbbell while sitting.

Then there's the rest periods. Some people only rest 30 seconds between sets. Others rest for up to two minutes (or even longer).

On top of that, the calorie burn from lifting weights is very small. It's only about .0032 calories per pound per foot.

There is an entry in the cardio section for "Strength Training" but it is a wild estimate only.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of some exercises to help tone my arms that don't involve purchasing weights (basically stuff that doesn't involve equipment). I've heard push ups are good?

Anything else?

Cheers!
    Don't forget just moving the placement of your hands in pushups can work out different muscle groups dramatically. Diamonds, hands under shoulders, hands outside of shoulders, dive bombers, inclines, declines, negatives, one arm, fingertips, etc.

In addition to some of the other exercises mentioned (pull-ups, dips) don't forget yoga. There's some strength versions that can really challenge your arms.