Workout in the evening and diet

Options
I have to workout in the evenings and sometimes pretty late. I hate to consume calories before bed but know i need a recovery snack. Usually Whey protein. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As long as you get enough during the day you don't need a recovery snack. Broscience.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I workout after work usually between 7 - 8 p.m. & then eat dinner when I get home around 8:30 - 9 p.m. I go to bed around 10:30 p.m. If you're not going over your calories, it doesn't matter what time you eat. Eating late helps you to avoid over-snaking in the evening.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I work out anywhere from 8 to 10 pm most weeks (sometimes I get a daytime work out in on the weekends).

I never eat after I workout.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    As long as you get enough during the day you don't need a recovery snack. Broscience.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Need the recovery or want a snack? Nothing wrong with either IMO. But out of curiosity, why a shake? Why not a few bites of chicken breast and some nuts or something like that?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I usually work out after dinner, not until anywhere between 7-10PM. I only eat afterward if I'm hungry. But it doesn't matter what time you eat anyway...
  • Destinee704
    Destinee704 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with majority. It doesn't matter what time you eat, just on what and how much you eat. You definitely should make sure you are consuming enough for your body to burn. I work until 9:30pm, work out 30-45 minutes every day and by the time I eat dinner is close to 11:30pm.
  • erinls76
    erinls76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree. I work out at night, eat dinner when I get home because I'm STARVING!
  • wannabe2229
    Options
    Need the recovery or want a snack? Nothing wrong with either IMO. But out of curiosity, why a shake? Why not a few bites of chicken breast and some nuts or something like that?
    Need the snack. I have exercise induced hypoglycemia. The shake because of whey protein, muscle recovery and a good amount of protein in an easy form. I eat chicken, turkey, etc for my supper. I get tired of it.
  • wannabe2229
    Options
    It sounds like the majority of you are saying eating/snacking after workout at night is not going to inhibit my weight loss.
  • crash_aly
    crash_aly Posts: 112
    Options
    I workout between 6-9pm during the week. I generally will go home, eat half my dinner, workout and then eat the other half if I am hungry when I get back. If I am really hungry and eat all my dinner before the gym and need something when I get home I will have half a cup of cottage cheese. Good protein source and low in calories!

Time of day doesn't matter.
  • rockstar2b66
    Options
    If you're working out late, that revs up you're metabolism. Eating late will only affect if you're just laying around and snacking once in a while late, won't hurt anything anyway. Sometimes I workout late and I'll have a whey protein shake or egg whites even, or an apple
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the majority of you are saying eating/snacking after workout at night is not going to inhibit my weight loss.

Correct, provided that "late night snacking" isn't adding additional calories to your diet that you wouldn't have otherwise eaten.
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I workout between 10:30pm and midnight since I work late evenings. I usually have a snack after, but that's because I WANT one, and I'm pretty dang hungry after a workout! As long as you are staying within your calories, it doesn't matter if you eat before/after or not. Whatever floats your boat!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on my lunch break at the gym and then weight lifting at home later at night usually. I usually have a protein shake after weight lifting just to add some additional protein into my day.

I wouldn't worry about eating after a workout late at night, all that matters is that you're sticking to your overall calorie goal for the day/week. I used to think eating late at night was bad too, but I do it all the time now. The difference is now I figure out how many calories I have left for the day and then base my snack around that. I usually have 200-300 calories leftover so I can have a small snack while watching TV at night and still be within my goal. I've been doing this for the past couple of months and the weight keeps coming off around 1-2 lbs a week.
  • ecmont032
    ecmont032 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I work full time and I'm a single mom of 2 (2 yrs old and 6 yrs old) so the only time i can workout is in the evening. Sometimes i can squeeze in a 15 min workout during bath time. But usually I eat dinner with them then workout when they got to bed so usually between 8:30-10 and I've lost 37 lbs so far
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I workout in the evenings, and then eat dinner after. Usually dinner is somewhere between 8:30 and 10:00 p.m. It didn't stop me from losing.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I work out two of the five days right after work..meaning I don't get dinner in me before 645 to 7....which to tell you the truth works for me as I am not hungry before bedtime and it cuts down on after dinner snacking. I have a harder time controlling myself when I work out in the morning.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am sleeping when you do that