Thinking about trying Tofu

Options
2»

Replies

• Jessica1173
    Jessica1173 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 44 year old male 265lbs and should be 190lbs and thinking about trying tofu for the first time in my lift.. I would like to hear the pros and cons of tofu and some of the best ways to make it.. thanks :)

Tofu is very bland by itself. It needs to be seasoned well or put with things that have high flavor. Over the past couple weeks, I have used tofu in place of ricotta cheese in lasagna, in miso soup, as an egg dish, and as a replacement for meat in sloppy joes. It tasted really good in all dishes.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Find a recipe that has only ingredients you like and tofu. I first tried tofu instead of ricotta cheese in a vegetarian lasagna, so I could get used to the taste and texture but it very blended into the dish. Tofu is also great when stir-fried with vegetables in a tasty sauce.
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am 44 year old male 265lbs and should be 190lbs and thinking about trying tofu for the first time in my lift.. I would like to hear the pros and cons of tofu and some of the best ways to make it.. thanks :)

If you have thyroid problems I would not.

Why not with thyroid problems? I'm on thyroid meds and always thought about tying tofu.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    It's really not that big of a deal. Just go to a restaurant that serves tofu and order it. Chinese is usually a good option. It's just food.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I love it, but I had to figure out how to cook it first. (My husband actually made it for me a few times and it wasn't so good. He's even acknowledged that learning how to cook it has made a crazy difference.)

Get the extra firm. Then press the moisture out of it. Slice it through the middle so you have two thinner sheets. Then you can place them on a wooden cutting board, and prop an end of the cutting board on a bowl so the liquid drains down and away from it. Put another wooden cutting board on top of that. Then I put a cast iron pan on top of everything to smash it down. I would let it drain for 1-4 hours. Then cube it up and fry it up in a half-tablespoon of oil with whatever seasoning goes with your dish. Then mix into your dish/recipe.

It sounds like a lot of work, but most of it is waiting. And I recent bought a tofu press from Amazon, which is amazing. It basically replaces my whole apparatus and presses the moisture out within 15 minutes--and it gets a lot more moisture out too.

It's really one of my favorite things to eat now.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    marinate the living **** out of it.

also, go for tempeh when you're ready for the next level of soy
  • coloursule
    coloursule Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you should try it. How can you hesitate about trying something new? I love tofu! it's so versatile!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Tofu is either awesome or horrible. There is no in between. It is all in the way it is prepared and how WELL it is prepared. Nothing is worse then chewy tofu!

I miss tofu. I can't have it atm because I am off soy due to a medical condition that is aggravated by soy.