Help. My toe nails are falling off!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I had this due to my shoes and the cardio machine I was using at the time. I read that if you sterilize a needle and heat it, then kind of "drill" it into your toenail, the blood will come out, which will release the pressure, and you will keep the nail. I didn't want to do it, but preferred that to losing the nail. It worked for me.

I would double check the fit of your shoes, AND your socks and make sure they aren't pulling too tightly against your toes.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Please go to your doctor.

I have been running on and off since I was a young adult, ruining seriously for the last 12 years, including races, and my toenails have never been affected. I've had water blisters, calluses, and aching feet, but my toenails stayed where the belong. Yours should not fall off from walking either.
  • RitaCarriere
    RitaCarriere Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've never had any issues prior to walking. I read a lot of the comments before I went out for a second walk and sure enough the shoe fits wide giving me about and inch to inch in a half on the sides where my big toe is. I also wear thin socks because I don't like my feet feeling restricted. The shoe is also made of that mesh product that allows the foot to breath and weighs next to nothing. Perhaps it's not the right shoe. I did order them online. I did also notice that my toe is near the edge of the shoe perhaps occasionally rubbing on the thin rubber seal that meets the mesh. I made an appointment to see the doctor for Monday, but I might cancel it and try switching my shoes up first.

Thank you for all of the wonderful information and advice.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I had this due to my shoes and the cardio machine I was using at the time. I read that if you sterilize a needle and heat it, then kind of "drill" it into your toenail, the blood will come out, which will release the pressure, and you will keep the nail. I didn't want to do it, but preferred that to losing the nail. It worked for me.

WHAT? This is bad advice.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

That wasn't my advice to her. I said that worked for me. My advice was the part you didn't quote about checking her shoes and socks.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I've never had any issues prior to walking. I read a lot of the comments before I went out for a second walk and sure enough the shoe fits wide giving me about and inch to inch in a half on the sides where my big toe is. I also wear thin socks because I don't like my feet feeling restricted. The shoe is also made of that mesh product that allows the foot to breath and weighs next to nothing. Perhaps it's not the right shoe. I did order them online. I did also notice that my toe is near the edge of the shoe perhaps occasionally rubbing on the thin rubber seal that meets the mesh. I made an appointment to see the doctor for Monday, but I might cancel it and try switching my shoes up first.

Your toe should be nowhere near the edge of the shoe. You need to up your shoe size probably by 1/2 a size.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I made an appointment to see the doctor for Monday, but I might cancel it and try switching my shoes up first.

Yep. There's no need to see a doctor or stop walking unless you're experiencing pain or bruising in other areas as well. Mine was sore the day I did it but they didn't bother me too much after that and felt perfectly fine. They just looked terrible.

In my case the shoes were fine but running in the rain was letting my foot slide around inside the shoe more than usual and that caused me to have this issue. I still bumped my shoes up a half size just in case and I haven't had a repeat yet. Like everyone else said, keep the toenails trimmed and make sure the shoes have plenty of room for the toes. That should fix this. They'll grow back out to normal in 3-4 months.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Don't compromise circulation to your toes.
    Don't create an environment for toe fungus.
    Might be a simple fix.
    Might be a serious condition.
    See a good sports doctor...ASAP!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I lost several toe nails in the process of figuring things out when I first started running. It is not much more than a minor inconvenience. There is even a hard 'horn' or something that takes it's place while the nail is growing out, that you can put polish on. :laugh:
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be 1 of many things all that require some kind of medical treatment. See your GP ASAP!!! Better to be safe than sorry!
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You will need to see a doctor but good news is most of these poster are correct. Its most likely runners toe. Its the fit of your shoe and length of your nail! Curable and easy fix!
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Nope thats good advice actually. I had a toenail with blood under it for a whole month. Finally went to the doctor because it hurt to walk and he said what they would have done, is poke a TINY hole through the nail, and all the blood would come out relieving all the pressure. The pain comes from the pressure. But I was 17, made bad choices, didn't go early enough. Once the blood underneath dries up, you're doomed. Nail is just gonna fall off.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Do your shoes fit well? Like, really, really well?
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    go see a doctor!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I've been walking for 2 months daily at a very fast pace and after the first week the nail on my big toe turned purple and wanted to fall off but I squeezed all the fluid out and taped it. Now it's dark purple and on the verge of falling off. I also noticed the nail missing on my second toe and the other big toe is bruising. I wear the New Balance running shoes and weigh next to nothing, nor do they rub on my toes when walking. Has this happened to anyone else, if so what did you do? I would hate to to lose all my toe nails and be stuck with ugly feet. Le Sigh.

Many years ago I was into somewhat hard core mountain hiking and and one occasion after hiking ten days in almost new Brooks trail shoes that felt perfect in fit and comfort I lost 7 toes nails over about two month. I went to the doctor and was checked for fungus and other things and was cleared. Years later when trekking in Nepal a mountain climber told me that this is sure proof that my shoes were too small and that when going down hill I consistently stubbed my toes on the inside of the shoe and that that was the cause for my losing my toes nails. He also told me that that can happen to runners and power/speed walkers.