Wanting to get in EXTRA good shape in 8 mos, WWYD?

Options
In exactly 8 months, I'm getting married. Like most people, obviously I want to look really good for my wedding.

I've been a member of mfp for a couple years and am pretty familiar with getting healthier in general. I used to be almost 40 lbs heavier than I am now so I've been somewhat successful but am still a long way off from that dream body. I currently weigh 156 lbs at 5'6. I'd like to get under 140 and be in really good shape.

I'm a little torn as to how to best spend my time in the gym. I know weight lifting will do wonders and I've done it off and on through the years. TBH, my main goal is to lose fat but I don't want to lose muscle either. My biggest trouble area is my belly that's always been there, however I don't want to neglect my arms or butt that will be showcased in my mermaid strapless dress.

I do tend to put on muscle what seems to be rather easily as far as females go so while I realize people say women can't bulk, well I can. Some is good but I don't want to go super far with it. Again I know I won't come out looking like a dude without some serious dedication and drugs, but I am of the stocky type and would like to minimize that.

I think i do best with structured workouts. Lately I've been attending various classes at the university gym and just (re)started c25k with a little bit of weights thrown in there but I feel like I'm probably not challenging myself enough to get the results I want. 8 months is a pretty long time and this should be doable. I'm considering going back to a program from Jamie Eason and bodybuilding.com but I'm not sure that's the best use of my time. Same goes for stronglifts- tbh I'm going more for aesthetics than strength at the moment. Youtube is a great resource of various workout videos and I do those from time to time.

That was probably more long winded than necessary. Anyway, what would you do?

Replies

• bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Read the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Or Stronglifts. They will provide you with structure. "Lifting Heavy" is what will get you the low body fat/flat stomach results you are looking for....Hope my 0.02 helps.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh and congrats!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TBH, my main goal is to lose fat but I don't want to lose muscle either.

Same goes for stronglifts- tbh I'm going more for aesthetics than strength at the moment..

For your main goal, Stronglifts (or Starting Strength, for that matter) - while at a small Caloric deficit - would probably be your best bet(s). You'll maintain the muscle you have while losing fat.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i've seen some really challenging youtube videos.

there may even be a series out there on youtube that might be thought of more as a structrured program then a single workout, but i'm not aware of it.

I don't know of more challenging structured dvd workouts then those available from beach body, such as p90x and insanity.

at the end of the day, its like 15% what you do and 85% or more what you do and don't eat.
  • Kukenan
    Kukenan Posts: 44
    Options
    I agree with bethanytowell. NROLFW is great! Specially if structured workouts work best for you. I'm halfway through it and I've been loving it! I haven't tried stronglifts, but I've only read good things about it as well. There is a NROLFW group in these forums, and they give quite good advise if you don't understand a move or something. I guess there must be one for stronglifts as well. Reading them might help you decide on one.
    I get that you are going for aesthetics more than strenght, but they go together. The fact that you are getting stronger means that your muscles will be more defined and thus will look better! It really is win-win :)
    Congratulations on your wedding!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Anyway, what would you do?

How much time per week do you have to devote to this?
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the grats!

I did stronglifts for a while and was up to 95 lb squats and then I got kind of bored with it. Also even though I did my research on proper form I think I'm doing something wrong because I frequently had back pain afterward. But I will start incorporating that for sure. I suspect that for the overheaed lifts and bench presses that it might be more beneficial to use dumbbells than barbells so that my right arm doesn't help my left. That and I don't have a spotter. I confess I'm a little concerned about my midsection thickening from the Valsava. I know, I know, suppsoedly I won't bulk but my butt gets bigger from squatting (good thing) so why wouldn't it be possible for my midsection to do the same (bad?). I suppose I have a long ways til I really need to worry about that though. Need to peel the fat away first.

I've been meaning to read NROFLW. I will pick it up.