Examples of weight training routines?

A little about me, I am a 5,10" 26 year old female and weighed in at 168 this am. I have 8 lbs to go to reach my goal (for now) and have lost about 22 lbs since starting with MFP on pretty much just cardio workouts. Anyways - now that I have changed my lifestyle and am starting to see differences I know that I need to weight train more. I am seeing parts of my body getting "skinnier" but still looking droopy you know? I want to start toning up all over but I am honestly pretty clueless about what types of exercises/machines to use and how many reps...

I go to a basic but nice gym so I have access to equipment. If anyone has time I was hoping I could get a few opinions on how often to lift, what types of lifts to do, how many reps, etc? I do cardio 4-6 times per week but i know that wont be enough to tone up. I am loving the changes I've seen so far but I know that I need to put in more work with weights to get a final result. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    I'm sorry that I can't answer this but I am bumping it for some feedback as well! Good luck!
  • I just started bodybeast from beachbody 10 days ago and I love it. It's strictly weights and you can print the worksheets to take to the gym if you don't want to do the actual DVDs.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    I don't have any knowledge. But I am curious about this as well. Congrats on your progress!
  • Starting Strength is an excellent program for beginners.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Start REALLY light so you can nail your form, and add 5 pounds every time you come back.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great place to start. Go heavy, be surprised, and love your body.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Check out programs like:

Stronglifts 5x5
    (group of women on MFP that do it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women)

New Rules of Lifting for Women (book approx $13 depending on where you find it)
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Lots of links and info on this topic:

Large Collection of Info for Beginners - 2013 Edition
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/848374-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners-2013-edition
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Lots of people like Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer. It can be found on bodybuilding.com. Also there is the All Pro a Beginner routine which is a good, basic program. New Riles of Lifting is a good resource as well. Lots of people on here love 5x5 programs, there are a few to choose from. I'm currently running Strong Curves with a few modifications, and loving it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    As a beginner you will get the most benefit from doing a full body routine like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 (both geared towards beginners)....programs like those are going to give you hell of awesome strength gains in the most efficient manner. Also, I am of the opinion that it's best to start with an actual strength program like that to build your foundation of functional strength...worry about hypertrophy down the road.