Single Mom Struggles

Options
Hey All,

I am a single mother of 2 1/2 year old twins (Boy & Girl) who has lately found it stressful & frustrating finding time to workout :mad: . I do workout during my lunch break which is only 30 minutes but with having to walk to the gym, change, workout then change again it cuts a lot of time out of that 30 minutes. I attempt to workout at home but after cooking, cleaning, playtime, bath time & bed time I am pooped :yawn: . I really want this for myself but am finding it hard to find a balance. I also feel like Im not putting in as much as I could/should be :frown: . Any suggestions or advice would be helpful..:smile:

Thx.

Replies

• Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Diet to lose weight, fit the workouts in however you can. You don't need a gym at all, there's an amazing amount of exercises you can do without a single piece of gear. I bet there's ways to work some exercise into the playtime or other home activities. Get creative!
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You have 2 1/2 year old twins. You should consider it a miracle that you are able to string words together in a sentence. I've got two kids who are close to five years apart and during their toddler years, I was lucky to have clean clothes for us all each day. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Keep track of your food, make your choices as healthy as you can, grab gym time when you can, maybe more chasing/dancing/rolling around with your kids and fall into bed right after they do. Because you've earned it. :smile:
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was a single mother for some time, you are an amazing woman for doing all that you do with twins!

As some have mentioned, you can augment your caloric intake to help you lose weight. Another tip is something I did a lot; squeeze in what you can when you can. Doing dishes? Do leg raises while you right rinse. Watch TV standing up and do push ups/sit ups/squats during the commercials. Teach your kids yoga/Pilates and make it a game for them while you work out (This was a life saver for me!) My son and I would do things like jump in place, or have a race at the park, and he loved doing yoga with me; he still does.

Just because your work out doesn't happen all at once doesn't mean you can't still do it. The exercise hasn't lost its potency because it's broken up into bite sized chunks. Make play time your time too!
  • BetterMe83
    BetterMe83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You have 2 1/2 year old twins. You should consider it a miracle that you are able to string words together in a sentence. I've got two kids who are close to five years apart and during their toddler years, I was lucky to have clean clothes for us all each day. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Keep track of your food, make your choices as healthy as you can, grab gym time when you can, maybe more chasing/dancing/rolling around with your kids and fall into bed right after they do. Because you've earned it. :smile:

Thank you sooooo much for your kind words & encouragment. It helps A LOT!!
  • BetterMe83
    Options
    I was a single mother for some time, you are an amazing woman for doing all that you do with twins!

As some have mentioned, you can augment your caloric intake to help you lose weight. Another tip is something I did a lot; squeeze in what you can when you can. Doing dishes? Do leg raises while you right rinse. Watch TV standing up and do push ups/sit ups/squats during the commercials. Teach your kids yoga/Pilates and make it a game for them while you work out (This was a life saver for me!) My son and I would do things like jump in place, or have a race at the park, and he loved doing yoga with me; he still does.

Just because your work out doesn't happen all at once doesn't mean you can't still do it. The exercise hasn't lost its potency because it's broken up into bite sized chunks. Make play time your time too!

Thats a great idea involving the babies in my workouts they would probably enjoy that. Thank you so much for your kind words & advice :smile:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    so, I'm not a single mom but my husband does leave for work at 4am and get home at about 7pm. I also work full time and am in school. I hear you on being pooped at night, pretty much if I don't work out by noon, it isn't happening! I have 3 kids, the youngest is 4 months old and I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my 4th. I get up early and work out before everyone wakes up, and I do HIIT workout to get the most bang for my buck. I'm a fan of old school exercises, squats, pushups, crunches, planks, etc - stuff I can do without dragging out a bunch of equipment. I do have a spin bike, which I love, if you check out craigs list you can score a good deal on something similar. good luck!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Never been a single parent, but I work from home to care for my special needs teenager. He is prone to violence and cannot be left alone with his mother, so he's mine, 24/7. Home schooled him for 4 years until we could get some help from the local school district. In any case, I think I'm qualified to comment.

I get up at 3:30 AM 5 days a week so I can work out while he's asleep. I know that's not an option for you, can't leave those little ones alone in the home, but the point is, you may have to give up something else important to you to make this happen, in my case, I give up sleep.
    On the other hand, it's perfectly legit to say that you're already giving all you have to give and just let it ride for awhile till the kids are older. As others have said, the weight part is mostly about what you eat.

Also, send FR to MireyGal76. She's doin it right.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of a 4 year old with autism and a 5 year old. I have a full time job, I go to school and I am a competitive bodybuilder. I've been single since they were 1 and 2, I weighed 217 pounds the day of the divorce. I have to deal with injuries from when I was in the military (broken pelvis and ankle, doctors told me I'd live with a cane). I made it a priority and stopped making excuses. Weight loss is mostly diet anyway.

ETA: Their dad lives on the other side of the country. He has no hand in raising them at all.
    PhotoGrid_1380639685183_zps218147ba.jpg
    [img][/img]IMG_20130924_060656_zpsc30772ab.jpg
    IMG_20131010_202918_zpsa692fb22.jpg
  • syemon
    syemon Posts: 50
    Options
    i salute you for bringing up twinsa alone , i have a 5yo and she can be hard work and her mothers around , BUT im sure you have 20 mins while there sleeping at some point , yes you may feel pooped after a long day at work , but find it in yourself to be the women you want to be , not the one you dream to be , its mind over matter , feel pooped after your workout , or instead of feeling pooped have a soak after your workout , theres always time in the day for 20 min work out , also take note in what foods your eating , diets plays a big part in your life , i work in a consealed metal box for 12-14 hours a day i pre-make my food as there is no facilities to cook , plan the next day ahead , AND MAKE TIME , your gonna need more energy the older your babies get so make it count now !! :) Good Luck hun add me if you wish :)
  • BetterMe83
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. Your advice & kind words help A LOT!!:smile:
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    As a single mom myself, I feel for you. One thing I do that may be something you can try...I work at a daycare with toddlers. During the day, I "play" with the kids and do things like arm curls holding them and leg lifts holding them - lift them over my head to touch the ceiling...just a little bit of moving for me - they think it's fun and I'm doing some exercise.
  • Malachai76
    Options
    if your looking for a decent workout I do focus t25 , it's 25 minutes a day, i struggled to find time to exercise before finding these workouts with working full time my wife also often on opposite shifts and a 2 year old it was hard to find time. I actually started with another work called insanity but that one is longer and my results are just as good with t25. If your interested in finding out more search them on you tube or go to the website www.beachbody.com they have loads of different workouts on there to suit all types of people but those are the only two ive done