Is Oil on Sandwiches from Quik Check bad?

With a goal of weight loss, I've been eating this sandwich on a daily basis for lunch @ work:
-$2.99 6" Wheat
-Meat: Turkey+Ham
-Cheese: Swiss/Provolone
-Veggie: Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Onion
-Other: Oil (olive oil?, not even really sure)

Coming in right under 500 calories on average (per MFP estimate), I was assuming this was a pretty healthy choice for my day-to-day work lunch break.
Enter Olive Oil: Looking into it, it looks to be a whopping 100 calories+/tablespoon! I'm not even sure how much they slap on the 6" sandwich... probably at least the 1 serving... (probably more... lol)

So all this to say, Am I better off not adding the olive oil, or is it 'healthy' calories that will help me reach my macros (for fat)?

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    I doubt it's olive oil. If you are really concerned about the calories, go with mustard instead.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    I would steer clear of any oil unless then give you a tablespoon and you weigh it out yourself....I have no trust in someone at a deli drowning my sandwich in even 2 tablespoons of olive oil...that is like 240 calories! :)
  • silvernix2
    silvernix2 Posts: 13 Member
    My uncle worked for Quik Check for awhile... Although I'm not 100% sure of the type of oil it was, I can tell you that like most sandwich shops they load it up with oil... probably closer to 2-3 tbsp.

I haven't been there in awhile, do they have an option Like WaWa does for light oil? Or like another poster said Mustard is a good choice, or vinegar if you want a stronger flavor.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Yeah, I hate when you tell them a little bit, and they still squeeze a bunch out (like light mayo at Subway). I opt for using the vinegar instead. This way, if they lay it on thick, it won't add any calories. But, my kids like mayo, and I don't want them making a mess in the car!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    I keep my own bottle of olive oil in my desk so I can measure it.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    That oil or whatever might not be olive oil but with most sandwiches when you add the condiment (ranch, oil, mayo anything but mustard) you are basically adding 100+ calories.. oil mix probably is the worst.. might be a mixture of salad dressing and something else.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Usually sub oil is just olive oil mixed with spices and vinaigrette. But like you said, it's going to be extra calories

The olive oil I use is 140 calories and 14 grams of fat per tablespoon. Unless you need the fat, go for a mustard or more vinegar based spread to save calories. Personally I just get pickles and tomatoes - which is enough to make it not dry.

They list the nutrition facts on their website - http://qchek.com/fresh_food_lunch_dinner.asp#mtop.

All the subs listed are around 410-450 with mayonnaise...which is most likely as calorie dense as olive oil. You should be good. Unless you're getting both. Which is disgusting.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Why not get the oil on the side and apply as you like? Or is that not available at Quik Check? I've never seen one.