'it's the scales fault!' stories

Options
I'm pretty sure my scales need new batteries/throwing out, seeing as my weight appears to have changed 4kg in 10 seconds this morning... so it got me wondering.

Who has the best 'it's not my body, it's the scales' tales?

Replies

• pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My scale changes depending on where I place it on the floor (because the floors aren't entirely level in my 1950's house). I usually move it around until I find a number I like. :smile:
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    lol i don't have that problem. I know my weight will go up and down about 5lbs max every now and then :o So i don't worry.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I switched from a 10 year old dial scale I'd had forever to a new "measure everything under the sun" scale. The difference was 5 lbs. I weighed myself on each of them 3 times right after the other and the difference was always 5 lbs. Kinda sucked because the new scale was 5 lbs higher lol. But it's all good because I've made up the difference and then some :bigsmile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    my barbell lost 0.2lb overnight once.....

i have a mixture of metric and imperial plates which makes barbell maths a nightmare, so I put bathroom scales on a block and weigh my barbell on them, to check it's the right weight. So anyway one day I left the weights on the barbell, i.e. the right weight for my workout the next day. I reweighed it the next day and it was 0.2lb lighter.

Anyway, I generally ignore what's after the decimal point on the scales, because day to day weight fluctations and the scales' own idiosyncrasies make that degree of accuracy meaningless....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    lol i don't have that problem. I know my weight will go up and down about 5lbs max every now and then :o So i don't worry.

Yeah, but in 10 seconds ??

OP, we used to have a scale at work that would register several lbs lighter if you put all your weight on your heals. Only a couple people knew this, but we used it to our advantage in workplace weight loss contests.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I was using my Wii Fit board and it weighs you every day when you start up the game. I have a carpet so when I stepped on the board it sank and said I weighed 20lbs lighter than I did, at my goal weight! I put one of those plastic mats down that you use for desk chairs, and then it only said I was 10lbs lighter than I was! I just kind of ignored the scale feature from then on...
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options

OP, we used to have a scale at work that would register several lbs lighter if you put all your weight on your heals. Only a couple people knew this, but we used it to our advantage in workplace weight loss contests.

Hahaha, tricky tricky!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    My scale changes depending on where I place it on the floor (because the floors aren't entirely level in my 1950's house). I usually move it around until I find a number I like. :smile:

haha yeah our bathroom floor does this too, but it's tiled so i put the scales in the same place usually. The floor has a slight slope to drain water if the bath overflows.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    my barbell lost 0.2lb overnight once.....

i have a mixture of metric and imperial plates which makes barbell maths a nightmare, so I put bathroom scales on a block and weigh my barbell on them, to check it's the right weight. So anyway one day I left the weights on the barbell, i.e. the right weight for my workout the next day. I reweighed it the next day and it was 0.2lb lighter.

Anyway, I generally ignore what's after the decimal point on the scales, because day to day weight fluctations and the scales' own idiosyncrasies make that degree of accuracy meaningless....

I totally take my weight off the first two numbers (in kg) because the one after the decimal is nearly always the difference between eating something or going to the loo!

Crazy re the barbells. I was overseas last month and my case was 2 kg different between the scales at home and the airport.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I switched from a 10 year old dial scale I'd had forever to a new "measure everything under the sun" scale. The difference was 5 lbs. I weighed myself on each of them 3 times right after the other and the difference was always 5 lbs. Kinda sucked because the new scale was 5 lbs higher lol. But it's all good because I've made up the difference and then some :bigsmile:

yeah i'd just like to 100% KNOW haha.
  • trudijoy
    Options

Haha yeah ours alters if you shift your weight....
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My scale stays the same whether I suck in my gut or not, so clearly it must be defective.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My scale stays the same whether I suck in my gut or not, so clearly it must be defective.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    With my last scale it was at the end of it's life and you would gain like 10 lbs everytime you stepped on it (as in, you would step on it, get off, get back on and be 10 lbs heavier). It kept getting worse and worse so it was retired.

My new scale is a lot more reliable.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Before I bought a new scale, I weighed at work. There are two identical scales. I would weigh myself on both. one day, scale A would be two pounds lighter than scale B. The next day...reversed. they became known to me as the evil twin scales.
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    well, similar -- an overweight girl who complained to her husband that "the way you take photographs makes me look fat".

In my opinion, at least with me, it's probably my fat that makes me look fat. Just sayin.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    With my last scale it was at the end of it's life and you would gain like 10 lbs everytime you stepped on it (as in, you would step on it, get off, get back on and be 10 lbs heavier). It kept getting worse and worse so it was retired.

My new scale is a lot more reliable.

i think this may be where we are with these ones, but step one is a new battery :)
  • eminenima
    Options
    My scale is a filthy liar, probably designed by cats to goad me.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    well, similar -- an overweight girl who complained to her husband that "the way you take photographs makes me look fat".

In my opinion, at least with me, it's probably my fat that makes me look fat. Just sayin.

my 'fat' doesn't miraculously increase 4 kg /10 lb in ten seconds. The two are NOTHING alike. Just saying.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    My scale is a filthy liar, probably designed by cats to goad me.

i like mine, it's clearly showed me the run down from 105 kg to 80. but now it's gone mental.