anyone else avoid dinner dates?

Options
bingefreeaubree
bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
I'm a pain in the butt to go to dinner with since I can't eat gluten, am a vegetarian, and I eat clean and watch my calorie intake. There's no place in my area that suits all my needs so I prefer to just eat at home and skip out on restaurants. Anyone else with dietary restrictions do the same?

Replies

• Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I avoid dinner dates just to be able to hit the road if things go south quickly. Grab a drink somewhere. One drink then you can say you're not feeling well :wink:
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Go for drinks at a cool bar that has a pool table or foosball.

Then you can bail out quickly if he sucks.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about it from a food standpoint... I see dinner dates as a high pressure date (especially if it's the first date), isolated with one person at a table, and nothing else really going on around you. Drinks are a much better idea, then at least there's a background setting, and it's easier to bail if things get bad.
  • bingefreeaubree
    Options
    Haha good ideas, but unfortunately I'm a freshman in college and can't go to bars yet :laugh: Note taken for once I'm 21 though!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    OPs 18, and in 'murica i'm assuming.

cant you order a salad?
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    yeah my husband.. we never had a date of any kind lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've found life to be much easier when I don't have to avoid stuff...so I don't avoid stuff...stuff is all a part of life and ultimately unavoidable unless you want to have no fun at all....

Why are you so restrictive in your diet?
  • KenziesFrenzies
    Options
    Why don't you Google the menus to some local restaurants that serve food you can eat (like some kind of salad), and casually suggest that restaurant?
  • bingefreeaubree
    Options
    OPs 18, and in 'murica i'm assuming.

cant you order a salad?

Yes and yes :) Though most salad dressings aren't gluten free haha
    In my case I probably will just order a salad, but I'm just curious if others with dietary restrictions prefer avoiding restaurants and would rather just eat home.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    If you like the guy, be upfront with him about it and offer to go do something else.
  • bingefreeaubree
    Options
    I've found life to be much easier when I don't have to avoid stuff...so I don't avoid stuff...stuff is all a part of life and ultimately unavoidable unless you want to have no fun at all....

Why are you so restrictive in your diet?
    Vegetarian since I was like 9 because. And I'm to avoid gluten according to my doctor. And I eat clean because that's a lifestyle choice I made.
  • heylookitsval
    Options
    Go play putt-putt golf.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    when i was 18 my "dates" consisted of a guy buying me a burrito at 3 am after the bar close. lucky you that you get to go to a restaurant in the daylight :laugh:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Since this is clearly a huge part of your lifestyle, why not explain this to your dates?

That way you can figure out somewhere else to go and/or eat (if you choose). If you wind up dating them for longer than a few dates they will be well aware of your dietary habits anyhow, so why not?
  • KenziesFrenzies
    Options
    Is it me, or did the whole avoiding gluten ordeal only become a thing in the past year or so...
    Now there's a whole "gluten free" section of my grocery store. :huh:
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Dates tend to avoid me, so not an issue :smile:
  • heylookitsval
    Options
    ^^ I call bull.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Never! I don't go out a lot to eat at "fancy" restaurants so I jump at the chance when I can. Just fit it into my day is all.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    ^^ I call bull.

It has been my experience working with cattle that most bulls ignore you when you try calling them.