Frozen meals...work of the devil or heaven sent?

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on them for the main portion of your food, but the convenience is great for times when you are pressed for time or are in a position where you can't fix a meal (exactly your scenario). They are much better than the alternative of eating snacks from a vending machine. I keep a couple in my freezer for just that reason and eat one a couple of times a month.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I eat one of these almost every week day. I try to stick to Healthy Choice because they are a little lower in sodium but I eat Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones too. I try to pair it with maybe a Greek yogurt and some raw fruit or veggies. I like the portion control and the convenience of them.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like to make my own frozen meals so I never run into problems with "grab and go," but I also don't have a problem with frozen meals other than the taste and the volume. At least with my own food I can season it and bulk it up with enough vegetables to be filling. In a pinch, I think the kashi, evol, and amy's taste the best.

I just went to an Indian market last weekend and picked up some pakora and a premade dal (when I make mine, I add in cauliflower, fresh lime juice and cilantro and freeze it just fine).
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them very often, but that is more due to the fact that very few actually fill me up as is and the fact that there are so few I can actually have due to food restrictions due to medical reasons. That said, they are not the worst thing in the world to eat and I keep a few on hand for those days where cooking is just not going to happen.

I do prefer to make my own frozen meals though. Get some decent containers and make meals that are more then the number of servings you need. Pack and freeze. Homemade food with the convenience of a frozen meal. Heck ya!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I used to eat one for lunch every day. I find most of them taste bad compared to fresh, and that I was paying more for the pre-frozen meal than making my own at home.

So, neither? I won't knock someone for eating them, but I wouldn't buy them myself unless I had nothing else ready to go at home.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    LOL Not the work of the devil. I think most don't offer enough vegetables to get in the required number of servings, so if I were eating them regularly I'd snack on fresh fruit or vegetables to fill in the gaps. I've never had any I liked the taste of enough to eat with any regularity, but if you like them, they certainly are convenient.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Amy's meals. There's several to choose from. Thai/Mexican/Italian/Indian, etc. I don't normal eat microwave meals like that because they're all disgusting but so far I have only had one Amy's meal that I didn't like. I keep a few in the freezer at work as back ups, but normally bring a salad for lunch. They're a bit more calories than my salads and obviously more sodium, but I feel like I'm getting a yummy treat instead of just eating cardboard flavored noodles out of convenience.

I agree with this - Amy's are pretty much the only frozen meals I eat. Love them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it, but I found that for a little more effort, I could make something tastier and more filling.
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Due to my current living situation I've been having to have a fair few ready meals. I find that they aren't as tasty as stuff I cook myself, but they are okay. I find I don't go over my salt either as long as my other meals are fairly low.

Although I like the Marks and Spencers balanced for you range, the carbs/protein are usually split fairly evenly and they tend to have a fair bit of veg in them too.
  • lmsaa
    lmsaa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat Lean Cuisine dinners in a pinch. I usually buy the cannelloni and as many bags of steam-in-the-bag veggies, such as string beans, as dinners. I dump the steamed veggies into the sauce to bulk up the meal without adding a lot of calories.

What I've found I like better is cooking a side of salmon, dividing it into 6 oz portions in freezer containers, and thawing those for dinner, also with a bag of frozen veggies to steam in the microwave. That way I always have fish and veggies available for dinner without last minute shopping or planning. I also keep small containers of cooked barley or quinoa in the freezer if I need to add some complex carbs - depends on what I've had the rest of the day.

Another dinner in a pinch is egg and bean salad. I usually have eggs and canned beans in the house, so I chop a couple of hard boiled eggs and add them to a can of drained, rinsed beans, such as cannellini or navy beans. With some type of onion, depending on what's in the fridge, and tomato, cucumber, or celery, again, depending on what's in the fridge, and balsamic vinegar or other low cal dressing, it's another healthy dinner that doesn't require much shopping or planning. If I have herbs, I add those too for flavor.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've been known to have them if i'm working late and want something quick. I wouldn't have them all the time but once in a while for me, is fine.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I usually have one or two a week for lunch. Some days I don't have leftovers to bring and it's nice to have something to grab and go so I don't have to leave my office and get fast food. The Amy's meals are my favorite but I also like the Lean Cuisine chicken fried rice and Korean beef varieties!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I cook my own meals for the week, knowing I will be with limited time some days.
    As for these frozen, processed things, forget it.
    I'd sooner eat a McD Big Mac.

With me, I know only two speeds: nutritional whole foods or McDonalds.
    Some days I need those Golden Arches!
    >:)
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    They aren't the devil. You are working long hours and if making your own stuff is just too time consuming then is seems you have found a solution that works for you.

That is what is most important. You are making choices that work for you and your life. You could have just as easily gone through a fast food drive through and instead choose to eat better than that.

I think if you've found a solution that works for you then go for it. There is nothing wrong with those frozen meals or frozen food in general. I do like a Lean Cuisine swedish meatballs a couple times a week. Healthy Choice makes several of their Cafe Steamers that are high in protein, I saw one that had 19g.
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Most days I have a Healthy Choice Cafe Steamer for lunch but I usually add a large salad on the side to get in more veggies.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Not the devil but I don't eat them everyday. Actually some of them are really tasty to me and feel indulgent. Some nights I'll cook one for dinner but I have to have a side salad with it or else I'd die.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    this thread has inspired me to get some of the lasagna frozen dinners... I haven't had lasagna in a while!