Some statistics about running and safety from crime

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. And while I'm at it, I think I'll pull out all the smoke alarms from my house and cancel my homeowners insurance since the likelihood of a fire is so remote...

Look, I get your point, this isn't something we ought to spend a bunch of time worrying about, but the flip side is, taking reasonable precautions isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just be aware of the risks, then decide for your self. I'll not fault anyone that wants to be extra careful and carry say mace or a firearm, that's their prerogative, just like I wouldn't fault anyone for having homeowner's insurance. If taking along some sort of protection is what it takes to get them out the door, that's fine by me.

And who on this thread is saying people should not be smart, aware, and take precautions? Is there a post on here advising women to run buck naked at 2am in the woods that I missed?
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    This only covers Homocides what about sexual assaults and just assaults in general. Id say those statistics are nice but pretty much worthless to someone concerned about their safety. Im not a women but my concern is those drivers turning right not paying attention to me who has the right of way in the cross walk. Or those drives who just ignore the rather large sign in the cross walk that says STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS IN THE CROSS WALK and blow by me by about 6 inches when im in the middle of the road in town where the speed limit is 25.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    Yeah but it's difficult because we are constantly reminded, as women, that we are basically prey for some scary stranger out there somewhere - it even passes for entertainment on almost every tv channel every night, dramatised or reconstructed or whatever - even though the people most likely to hurt or kill us are our own husbands or boyfriends (two women a week in UK, more than the number of soldiers we lose in Iraq Afghanistan etc!) or whatever, yet people never say 'don't have a romantic relationship with a man, it's too potentially dangerous'. Why is this?
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    unfortunately all the statistics in the world wont rule out the fact that my husband worries about me jogging on my preferred paths/time of day, etc. For god sakes he talks about it all the time and makes me carry a knife "until we get you some pepper spray" He even drove me by a area opposite direction of where I walk by tonight to show me where he thinks "is much safer and cops always patrol" Dammit wish there weren't weirdos everywhere, I just want to jog away and not worry or even have these conversation. But thanks for the article it at least gives me some peace of mind.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is an exercise in futility if I've ever seen one. The people who are susceptible to the kind of sensational claims you're trying to dispel are the same people who are impervious to good sense. It doesn't matter how unlikely an event is, they're deeply afraid of it and carrying some kind of weapon makes them feel safe (Which, if you believe Maslow, is a need second only to breathing).
    You're absolutely right. And while I'm at it, I think I'll pull out all the smoke alarms from my house and cancel my homeowners insurance since the likelihood of a fire is so remote...

Yes you *probably* would be better off if you didn't pay for homeowners insurance. That's the point of for-profit insurance companies, more money will be paid in premiums than is paid out in claims.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Just run faster and the muggers and murderers won't be able to catch you, if you zig zag as well you will be harder to hit if they have guns!
  • snsmyth
    snsmyth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There is a very cool app called Saferunner that tracks your running with GPS, and when you pull the headphones out of the jack, texts your emergency contact that you need help and takes a video recording of what is immediately happening.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There is a very cool app called Saferunner that tracks your running with GPS, and when you pull the headphones out of the jack, texts your emergency contact that you need help and takes a video recording of what is immediately happening.

Oooh, I like that! Wish they had been available when I was molested by motorcyclist when i was a teen. During daylight hours, no less.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Am I the only person whose headphones come out accidentally or who has to take them out to when he takes his phone out of his armband?