Pre-race dinner and post-race breakfast suggestions!

This Sunday is my first ever half marathon and I'm really excited. 6 months ago I couldn't run two miles without practically giving myself a hernia. However, I'm in the process of trying to lose the 12 pounds I put on this Summer, so I'm trying to decide what I need to eat before my race and after!

Do you encourage eating carb-heavy before a race?
Should I eat more of an excess of calories before or after the race?
What do you typically eat before a race?
Should I eat a piece of fruit or something in the morning before the race?

And any other suggestions! I appreciate it and I'm really excited :)

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I am extremely conscious the night before the race, and eat light. You don't want to wake up feeling bloated, gassy, or worse. If you know for sure a huge plate of pasta won't affect your digestive system badly, go for it! My post race breakfast is usually a biiiiig stack of pancakes. :) Lots of yummy carbs, fats, and proteins that are guilt free! But then again once the run is over, anything is fair game food wise. Hope that helps!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    You don't need to do a real carb-load before a half.

the most important thing is to eat what you are used to. Nothing spicy, nothing new, nothing high fiber. I would eat a big breakfast and big lunch, then a normal dinner, so I'm not weighed down for the race. You can always up your carbs for the 3 days before to make sure your glycogen stores are filled, but you shouldn't run through them in a half.

Typical pre-race dinner for me would be something like salmon and brown rice with veggies and a salad.

Breakfast - same deal. Nothing new. Eat what you are used to eating on your training runs. For me this is a banana or apple or toast with peanut butter 2 hours before the gun. I also use energy gels during longer races, so I don't need that many calories right off the bat.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    I wouldn't suggest trying something for the first time the day before your race. Stick to what you were eating the nights before your long runs.

Best wishes, have a great race.

Karen