No one seems to like cardio anymore...

Options

Replies

• Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Cardio helped me lose over 20 lbs, keep it off for over a year, and lower my blood pressure & triglycerides.

I think it's a GOOD thing!!!
  • getfitozkis
    Options
    Check out: www.fitnessnumber1.com

It includes workouts that don't include regular boring cardio training. Instead it has exercises that give you the same results of a cardio workout, without simply running on a treadmill or around the block.

Good luck! hope this solves your problem :)
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My husband runs marathons. He has never been overweight. He has never gone for a run because he "felt like he should", or to lose weight. He goes because he loves running. He has never gone into a gym and lifted weights. He has a lean, strong body with all his muscles toned and visible, 6 pack abs and all. He says if only people knew how good it felt to be able to get outside and run and run. I really envy him. I would love to get to that psychological stage with my running. (First, I have to get out the door more often).

Anyway, I think his example shows that for some people, pure cardio can be completely adequate to produce a fit, strong, lean body.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... isn't the point of CrossFit (aside from the controversies have read all of that) - that you build on all aspects of fitness and not that you become a cardio guru or a weight guru - but you can do everything better than average?

CrossFit isn't "real" cardio, in the sense of making you a competitive runner at meaningful distance. The only way to get there is to run those distances (and more). HIIT type activity helps, but as an adjunct to volume, not as a replacement.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mqgfghpUfT1qz4rgp.gif

My daughter loves this movie!

And I agree both are good.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    Options
    My husband runs marathons. He has never been overweight. He has never gone for a run because he "felt like he should", or to lose weight. He goes because he loves running. He has never gone into a gym and lifted weights. He has a lean, strong body with all his muscles toned and visible, 6 pack abs and all. He says if only people knew how good it felt to be able to get outside and run and run. I really envy him. I would love to get to that psychological stage with my running. (First, I have to get out the door more often).

Anyway, I think his example shows that for some people, pure cardio can be completely adequate to produce a fit, strong, lean body.

Great example and I know the feeling, although I'm not at the marathon stage yet.
  • Thockey123
    Options
    So, back to the OP question: Is cardio necessary to lose body fat? No, not at all. But it does compliment weight loss very nicely and speeds the whole process up, although is not needed. Fat loss can be achieved through just careful diet alone but will often take a lot longer which is why most people tend to supplement cardio into their routine when trying to lose weight :)
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    When I first started working out, I HATED it. But now I love to see how much I can push myself, how many miles I can go or going for longer. The days where I don't work out, I feel like something is missing. Cardio is such an extra push for me!
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    "Trail running, hills and sprints - weeee! And just plain walking! "...

Not weeee, Wii! Yup gotta do it...gotta put in a plug for Wii! LOL Just dance...if you don't get your heartrate up doing this, you got issues! LOL Not boring either! Low impact, don't use your legs so much...works for those if us who aren't in shape enough to run, etc., or find other things too boring!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Not necessary to achieve low body fat and look good. I don't do cardio because I find it boring. Occasionally when it's nice out and I have extra energy ill go HIIT like hill sprints, but less than once a week.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Boring and unnecessary. My preference is to do active things that are actuallyfun .
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    Options
    So, back to the OP question: Is cardio necessary to lose body fat? No, not at all. But it does compliment weight loss very nicely and speeds the whole process up, although is not needed. Fat loss can be achieved through just careful diet alone but will often take a lot longer which is why most people tend to supplement cardio into their routine when trying to lose weight :)

Thanks for clarifying!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    An observation from this thread and others like it: people who are pro lifting (particularly heavy lifting) tend to be roughly 847 times more knowledgeable about diet and fitness than people who say things like "I just don't feel a sense of accomplishment from lifting."

This all depends on your goals. Running is fine if you enjoy running. If you like the high that comes from finishing a race or improving your mile time or whatever, then by all means, go for it. If you think it is necessary for weight loss, you are wrong. If you think it is superior to heavy lifting for fat loss (assuming an accompanying calorie deficit), you are wrong. To lose FAT and to retain your lean mass (which is what you want if "toning" is your goal), a calorie deficit, adequate protein intake, and a progressive resistance training program are your best bet.

Low-intensity, steady-state cardio can be good for recovery and/or for giving you more calories to eat. However, higher intensity cardio is very hard on your central nervous system and will make progressive lifting more difficult. Doing it a couple times per week? Fine, if your other recovery practices are in check (sleeping, eating, joint mobility, soft tissue work, etc.). Doing it 5 or 6 times a week? You won't be lifting heavy, and you won't be lifting for long. That's going to mean that a lot of whatever weight you lose will be muscle, and that's going to mean that you just look like a smaller version of what you are now. Not leaner, just smaller. So, decide on your priorities (fat loss, weight loss, race training, etc.), and base your training on that. It's not as simple as "just do what you like." Not if you have physique goals.

That's all I have to say.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's not as simple as "just do what you like." Not if you have physique goals.

Ditto for sports goals. If you want to be reasonably good at soccer, tennis, rugby, hockey, track, football, or a myriad of other sports, you're going to have to run/cycle, a lot. Neither lifting heavy, nor HIIT, will generate the physiological changes you're going to need.

IMO there are few situations where a mix of both isn't the right call - how that ratio is determined will depend on the individual's specific fitness goals.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    An observation from this thread and others like it: people who are pro lifting (particularly heavy lifting) tend to be roughly 847 times more knowledgeable about diet and fitness than people who say things like "I just don't feel a sense of accomplishment from lifting."

This all depends on your goals. Running is fine if you enjoy running. If you like the high that comes from finishing a race or improving your mile time or whatever, then by all means, go for it. If you think it is necessary for weight loss, you are wrong. If you think it is superior to heavy lifting for fat loss (assuming an accompanying calorie deficit), you are wrong. To lose FAT and to retain your lean mass (which is what you want if "toning" is your goal), a calorie deficit, adequate protein intake, and a progressive resistance training program are your best bet.

Low-intensity, steady-state cardio can be good for recovery and/or for giving you more calories to eat. However, higher intensity cardio is very hard on your central nervous system and will make progressive lifting more difficult. Doing it a couple times per week? Fine, if your other recovery practices are in check (sleeping, eating, joint mobility, soft tissue work, etc.). Doing it 5 or 6 times a week? You won't be lifting heavy, and you won't be lifting for long. That's going to mean that a lot of whatever weight you lose will be muscle, and that's going to mean that you just look like a smaller version of what you are now. Not leaner, just smaller. So, decide on your priorities (fat loss, weight loss, race training, etc.), and base your training on that. It's not as simple as "just do what you like." Not if you have physique goals.

That's all I have to say.

I have yet to see post that suggest cardio is the only way to lose weight. Most here seem to support the idea of doing both and are questioning why some people have chosen to avoid cardio altogether for lifting. You don't have to run or lift anything to lose weight. That can be done completely with a calorie deficit and sitting on your butt. Strength training is beneficial and I think people shouldn't be afraid of it, but cardio is great for your overall health, Your cardiovascular health should be just as much a priority as the number on the scale. What is the point of having physique goals and not having overall health goals. Some very cut people still have heart attacks, still end up on high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds.

I may never feel the same sense of accomplishment after a lifting session as I would after crossing a finish line, but I suck it up and do it because it is good for me. Same goes for cardio. The duration, intensity and activity is up to you, but I have yet to see a legitimate reason not to do it period. (it's boring is an excuse not a legitimate reason).
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Strength training is beneficial and I think people shouldn't be afraid of it, but cardio is great for your overall health, Your cardiovascular health should be just as much a priority as the number on the scale. What is the point of having physique goals and not having overall health goals. Some very cut people still have heart attacks, still end up on high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds.

I've improved my heart health, blood pressure, cholesterol levels and cardiovascular health doing heavy lifting. It's not like you don't get your heart rate up doing it.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I like cardio.. I've lost almost all my weight by leaving my car in the driveway, walking to work, and walking for errands (plus hiking on the weekend). Hiking in nature is so uplifting I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has raised my whole quality of life.

Editing to add do what you love and do what you can do, whatever it happens to be.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I jog/walk 5 miles and then put the weights to me :3.
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    Find a sport! I love tennis because I'll run/sprint as much as I possibly can, but I just don't think of it as 'exercise'.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Strength training is beneficial and I think people shouldn't be afraid of it, but cardio is great for your overall health, Your cardiovascular health should be just as much a priority as the number on the scale. What is the point of having physique goals and not having overall health goals. Some very cut people still have heart attacks, still end up on high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds.

I've improved my heart health, blood pressure, cholesterol levels and cardiovascular health doing heavy lifting. It's not like you don't get your heart rate up doing it.

Good for you that you have seen these kind of results. But in the case of my husband, lifting heavy was not enough and he is now on blood pressure and cholesterol meds and told to increase his cardio by his doctors. He still doesn't do a lot of it, but now sees the benefits. Obviously so many factors come into play when talking about your overall health and fitness, diet, exercise, genetics. Some people can do nothing or everything with no negative impact on their health, while others will find that that a balance diet and exercise regimen is their key to avoid or minimize health risks.