My NSV of the month...no, the year!

Options
I hope this is the right place to post this. I haven't ever started a topic in the general boards before, but I thought that my story might help inspire someone who needed some inspiration today.

I got my blood work in the mail yesterday. I can now consider myself off cholesterol meds, as my blood lipid profile was all well wtihin normal range!! Woo hoo!!! That's a HUGE NSV for me, because I used to be so fat, out of shape, and non-exercise-y that my cholesterol was once measured to be well over ONE THOUSAND! That's not a typo, either! My triglycerides were right up there with it, too. I was a heart attack waiting to happen! I ate too much, I ate fast food, and lots of it, I had binges on cookies (a few times I ate an entire box of some soft peanut butter with chocolate chip cookies all by myself in one sitting and was surprised when nothing was left when I reached my hand in the container for one more!! That was embarrassing, and made me feel dreadful!) To go from that, to here, just blows me away with shock and pride. I did it! My hard work is paying off, and not just in how I look, how much less I now eat (my budget likes that part), and how I no longer have to shop in the WOMEN'S department (another budget saver), but in my health too.

I had been put on cholesterol medication back in my early 20s. I had to see an internist to help get it under control. As the youngest patient in his office, and going there while pregnant, toting a toddler along with me, was embarrassing. I tried to follow the diet that doctor prescribed for me. (low fat) Looking back on it now, I obviously wasn't ready to do that, mentally. I had a lot of issues to deal with, and learn to control, first. I'm an emotional eater, and had to tackle that most of all. It took me a very long time to even realize that was my issue! So, fast forwarding to this past summer, when I asked my doctor what he thought of a brief trial off the meds to see if, now that I"m much lighter and eating better than ever before, I could possibly have a healthy blood fat level. The internist had diagnosed me with familial hypercholesterolemia and told me that I would likely always need to be on medication. That request was to see if he was wrong all those years ago. My current physician and I are both very happy to see that for me, at least, a healthy diet and routine exercise along with weight loss brought my blood fat levels to a normal level with no more worries about heart disease.

Thank you for letting me share my NSV today. What are any NSVs you have experienced recently? (NSV, for those who might be new, means "Non Scale Victory") :happy:

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Wow - best NSV ever!! You have surely tricked fate and created a new life for yourself! Congratulations!!
  • brazillit
    brazillit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are doing fantastic. Like I mentioned before, I am so happy for you for getting off meds because you don't need them anymore.
    WTG!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm in the normal range now too, but I wasn't that high over before.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!!!

I just got told I get to lower mine! And my glucose is creeping on up there, so my PCOS is finally kicking in in bad ways. But I love the extra testosterone, lol. I'm going to have to watch my sugars for real now, darnit. I knew it might happen eventually.

But I had a great NSV yesterday and today! My lats are sore from a workout!!!!! OMG! It has been over 10 years since I could work my lats at all and have normal exercise-related soreness. I have a nerve problem in my back that goes from zero pain to off the scale, so I have to avoid so much that uses mid-upper back or neck muscles. But I figured out some very isolated moves and did them heavy enough to get sore there! Yay!!!! Regular old DOMS in my back! In MY back. I didn't know if I'd see the day, honestly :)

(OK, so I have some of my other back pain and it hurts too, but not very bad for me. Ima keep doing it :) ).
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    cafeaulait, that's awesome! Congratulations on finding a back muscle move that you can do without aggravating your back condition! I have PCOS as well, and won't ever be able to come off the metformin, but that's okay with me. It has seemed to help me be able to bring down the weight. Not easily, but it seems like while on the stuff, I'm more like a regular person and not a psycho woman. Exercise helps regulate my mood fairly well too.

Franl27, that's wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    That's just wonderful! You've given a great gift to yourself and your family. :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Good health is the best NSV ever! Good job!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    thank you thank you thank you for posting this! I have been on BP and cholesterol meds for years and I remember at the time being told "You will be on this for life" but my goal is to get off them. My last blood tests (when i had just lost a small amount of wegith and was exercising) were already much better.

thank you for this ray of hope. I have lost 23 lbs, about 25% of what i need to lose, down 10% of my starting weight, so I'm happy so far.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    cafeaulait, that's awesome! Congratulations on finding a back muscle move that you can do without aggravating your back condition! I have PCOS as well, and won't ever be able to come off the metformin, but that's okay with me. It has seemed to help me be able to bring down the weight. Not easily, but it seems like while on the stuff, I'm more like a regular person and not a psycho woman. Exercise helps regulate my mood fairly well too.

Franl27, that's wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!! It's holding out through today, so I think I may have found my magic move :D

I'm not on metformin (yet?), but I'm working it with exercise already and watching my bad fat ratio better now, and I'll add more simple carb control. I'm hoping to avoid medication for it, but if it's mainly my hormones it's my hormones, yeah. They are pretty wonky :D We'll see! Meds are OK. I just take so many already for my back, etc.

My blood sugar was kinda high yesterday, so I belly danced for a little bit :) Checked it again and voila! Low again. That's pretty cool. I may just have to watch certain things better. I wanna be like you and Fran!