Bacon Experiment

Options
2»

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you contradict yourself when you say leaner and more flavour.

people know that the flavour of meat is in the fat. why do you think the "well marbled" steaks are the expensive and most sought after.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    @Tufel- Im pretty sure bacon is smoked as slabs, not slices.

@zorbaru- I don't think that the flavor of a well marbled steak lies in the fat. I've always thought well marbled steaks were just more tender and juicy when cooked properly.

@fittreelol- I save bacon grease and cook with it often, but, I doubt that is common practice around here. You got a point, but, I go thru enough bacon that I have more grease than I could ever need. Maybe I should start gifting bacon grease in small Ball jars. :)

@everyone- Dont microwave your bacon... thats just blasphemy
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    *in* for results
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    In it for the bacon! NOM!

1317747365_bacon_frying.gif
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If the cheaper bacon ends up loosing more fat into the pan, just get a big piece of bread and soak it up. Nom nom nom
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Got to find out what the results are.
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options

@fittreelol- I save bacon grease and cook with it often, but, I doubt that is common practice around here. You got a point, but, I go thru enough bacon that I have more grease than I could ever need. Maybe I should start gifting bacon grease in small Ball jars.

When I moved last month I had to throw my bacon grease stash in the garbage. I nearly cried at the waste of good bacon fat. Now, in the new house, my first order of business was to start my jar all over again.
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    And while we wait for the results, check out these guys building a rocket out of bacon. Yes, you read that right. One of my favorite vdeos of all time.

Bacon and Rocketry
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4wTFuaV8VQ
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I love you
    I love bacon
    I love you
    I love bacon
    I love you
    I love bacon
    bacon-bacon-bacon-bacon-BACONNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Bacon_BegginStripsDog.jpg

(edited to add the image correctly)
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow. I have done this experiment with eggs, (not scientifically just observationally) only to find that home-collected eggs from my friends chickens tasted better and were free. Shop bought eggs were larger, looked nicer when cooked, but obviously depending on brand were £ or ££.

Great idea OP, one has to be happy with ones choice of bacon!
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If the cheaper bacon ends up loosing more fat into the pan, just get a big piece of bread and soak it up. Nom nom nom

Or an oatcake!!! :smile:
  • hougt
    hougt Posts: 1,088
    Options
    In for the results!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    you contradict yourself when you say leaner and more flavour.

people know that the flavour of meat is in the fat. why do you think the "well marbled" steaks are the expensive and most sought after.

Yes, this is true. A better steak has more marbling. The flavor is in the fat. That's why, as a general rule, a good beef steak has more flavor than venison. They fatten cows. Wild critters are lean.
    BRING US THE RESULTS ALREADY !
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm an engineer and I approve this experiment
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i LOVE bacon. period. end of story.
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can’t wait for the genetically engineered bacon I can grow at home.
  • Hammincheesey
    Options
    Love this thread.
    Yup.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    interested!

i'm not a massive fan of the american bacon I have sampled. it was so thin and crunchy and flavourless. Plz tell me its not all like that and I was just given horrible stuff.

australian bacon <3

Bacon%20Week%202012.jpg
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    interested!

i'm not a massive fan of the american bacon I have sampled. it was so thin and crunchy and flavourless. Plz tell me its not all like that and I was just given horrible stuff.

australian bacon <3

Bacon%20Week%202012.jpg

You were given horrible stuff. I buy thick center-cut bacon because it's the closest thing I can find to what my grandparents used to make at the farm.