way over sugar macro today.

Options
I had a yogurt this morning with some granola which already put me 25 grams over MFP's daily limit.

I know many users say "don't worry about going over your sugar unless ...." and to not worry especially if your sugar is coming from fruits/veggies.

well, I really needed a starbucks fix this afternoon and let's just say that put me over another 40 grams (give or take).

should I be worried? I still have about 550 more calories left for the day.

any help is appreciated! Thanks. :-)

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Clearly you should be worried. Sugar is the debil and full of all teh toxinz!

You're fine, don't worry about it. Unless you have a specific medical condition that dictates otherwise.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Having excess sugar has never stopped me from losing weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

You're fine, don't worry about it. Unless you have a specific medical condition that dictates otherwise.

This...... I don't track sugar and have done pretty well....... Best of Luck
  • Iron_Siren
    Options

This...... I don't track sugar and have done pretty well....... Best of Luck

I third
  • californiabella
    Options
    Haha okay. Fair enough. Thank you for the responses.

I was just confused about all the posts that say, "As LONG as it's NATURAL sugar"..
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I was just confused about all the posts that say, "As LONG as it's NATURAL sugar"..

Well, they are sort of right. It is more nutritious to get your sugar from natural sources instead of processed sources. I certainly cannot say that I follow this, though. Furthermore, some people, when eating foods that are highly processed and full of sugar, experience hunger pains/lack of energy much sooner than when eating (for example) fruit.

That doesn't mean that you need to eat in the most nutritious possible way to lose weight. It doesn't mean you need to be paranoid about it. But if you start feeling crappy and look at your diary and realize 'oh, man, today I blew all my calories on starbucks and I'm starving and I feel too miserable to work out', well, changing some habits might be a good idea. If you feel great and you're meeting all your other nutrient goals, then rock on.
  • mkassinen
    Options
    Granola is super sugary. So I don't eat it. With yogurt I mix All Bran buds... super yum.
    For starbucks, they have sugar-free syrups :) Unless of course you don't want to have aspartame or sucralose. Up to you, really!
    Best of luck!
  • californiabella
    Options

Well, they are sort of right. It is more nutritious to get your sugar from natural sources instead of processed sources. I certainly cannot say that I follow this, though. Furthermore, some people, when eating foods that are highly processed and full of sugar, experience hunger pains/lack of energy much sooner than when eating (for example) fruit.

That doesn't mean that you need to eat in the most nutritious possible way to lose weight. It doesn't mean you need to be paranoid about it. But if you start feeling crappy and look at your diary and realize 'oh, man, today I blew all my calories on starbucks and I'm starving and I feel too miserable to work out', well, changing some habits might be a good idea. If you feel great and you're meeting all your other nutrient goals, then rock on.

I understand what you're saying. it makes sense! I definitely feel the best when I stick to a cleaner meal plan... I'm not as hungry and usually have a lot more energy.. unlike yesterday, I was lethargic and I cut my workout short. I'll be making better choices next time, but I won't get paranoid if I happen to slip. That's exactly how I was feeling yesterday. you were spot on. Thank you!

mkassinen;
    I gotta try that.. I don't eat a lot of granola, so the sugar content of the kind I eat isn't very much at 1/4 a cup.. However, the calories are still very high so I'll be making the switch.