How is this even possible? Please help me understand.

Options
When I first started losing weight, I did not count calories at all for the 3 months. I was winging it but I am sure I did not get even 1,000 calories. I lost 32 pounds in those 3 months. Since then, I started counting and tracking my calories. I never went over 1200 for awhile because well...I was scared to. I exercise every day for 165 minutes on the elliptical now. I've been having horrible self control for the past three weeks. I have eaten up to 1600-1900 calories daily. Not super healthy foods either. How have I not been gaining weight? Shouldn't I be packing on the pounds after going from 1200 calories to up to 1800 daily? It's not like I have a ton of muscle or anything either. I'm 5' 1 and wear size 4 in pants. I have a 24.5" waist. I'm not currently considered chubby or overweight. Was I just not eating enough before and so my body is actually thanking me? Should I feel guilty or worried that I am eating that much? I don't eat terribly. I don't eat out but I do not eat fruits or vegetables and haven't the entire time. I don't like them unfortunately. I eat eggs pretty much every day and unsweetened apple sauce so I am getting SOME nutrients. I tend to eat bologna sandwiches, cereal, a little dark chocolate, cheez its and etc. So, not wonderful food but not entirely terrible either. I'm just not sure if what I'm doing is okay or if I need to worry. My pulse is also about 40. I know that is kind of odd for someone who isn't an athlete. I'm just not sure if I am becoming a pig and need to slow down or if my body just wants me to feed it more due to the 2 hour or more daily exercise or whatever else it may be. I need opinions because I know nothing about this kind of thing.

Replies

• tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It is the exercise. You can eat more :-) .
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    No, don't feel bad. I was sent to the ER when my diet was around 1600-1700 calories and my weight was 128lbs. I am now 111 and was losing weight on anything less than 1950 calories a day. You can keep increasing your calories slowly, until you notice the weight loss taper off. You need to fuel your body for those workouts. Your body and your health will thank you for it:)
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Well, you should never net under 1200 calories which you probably are if you dont eat over 1200 and exercise. By eating 1600-1700 calories plus the exercise you are doing, im guessing you are netting about 1200, so you should still be losing.

FYI the number MFP gives you already has a deficit in it before exercise, when you exercise you make that deficit bigger, thats why MFP gives you calories back to eat. Too much of anything is not good for you, including too much of a deficit.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Well your not gaining weight because you're working out 2 hours a day. Lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Well your not gaining weight because you're working out 2 hours a day. Lol

Actually, 165 minutes is 2 hours and 45 minutes. That's a lot.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    That really is a lot all on one machine.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, is there a reason that you're doing nearly 3 hours on the elliptical? If you do it because you love it, knock yourself out -- but otherwise, it's kind of excessive.

Guess is that you're burning at least 600 extra calories (probably more but I'm going for the most conservative estimate), which means that you're effectively doing the same as eating 1000 calories a day and not exercising. Not only should you not feel guilty, it'd probably be a good idea to gradually up your calories a bit more, or cut down on the elliptical a bit. You're probably losing control because you're losing body fat to the point where you really do need the calories from food.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Exercise less. You are punishing your body for no reason. Don't develop some unhealthy obsession. You don't fix one extreme with another.
  • Ophidiaaa
    Options
    The reason I have been exercising so much is because I don't psychically "feel" like I have worked out if I only do say 60 minutes. Plus the elliptical says I only burn 400 calories in 2 hours. I feel like that's a bit low but I don't know whether to trust that it is actually more than that. I know machines can be off but I've been afraid that I'm burning even LESS than what it says which in turn, makes me go even longer. Yes, it is a fear of "getting fat".
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Your exercise is counter productive. It will be burning muscle which gives you tone and elevates your BMR ever so slightly. Why shoot yourself in the foot like that?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The reason I have been exercising so much is because I don't psychically "feel" like I have worked out if I only do say 60 minutes. Plus the elliptical says I only burn 400 calories in 2 hours. I feel like that's a bit low but I don't know whether to trust that it is actually more than that. I know machines can be off but I've been afraid that I'm burning even LESS than what it says which in turn, makes me go even longer. Yes, it is a fear of "getting fat".

That's a real problem. Don't turn this into an obsession. You're already displaying classic obsessive compulsive exercise tendencies. Dial it way back. What you're doing is not good for your body and indicates to me a very unhealthy relationship with food and calories and possible body dismorphia.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I really think you should start seeing someone offline, if you can afford it. This is disordered thinking and not healthy.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    It's called exercise bulimia.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You are greatly underestimating how large of an energy demand you are placing on your body by exercising to that large amount.

I hope you reduce exercise to 5 days a week and under an hour each time. Otherwise, you are at risk of developing some nasty disorders if you maintain what you're doing. I've met a few girls on here who began just like you but are now recovering from AN.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    It appears you just joined MFP. My suggestion would be to go to the community posts and enjoy a lot of reading. I did when I first joined and found it very beneficial.

Shirley in Oregon......GOOOOOO DUCKS
  • jenniferb_00
    Options
    When i first started exercising (maybe 3 months ago) i started doing 2 hours of cardio 6 days a week. I cut it back to 1.5 hours six days a week. Now i'm doing 1.5 hours 5 days a week. And you know what, my wight hasnt changed since. Once im doing working out, once i get home, i pretty much eat a tone because im super hungry. Too much exercise can be a bad thing. And iv become rather obsesive about going to work out. I missed today because i had to pull a double shift at work and i was thinking about not going to the gym the whole time. Its crazy. Excersis less, eat a bit more and things will balance out.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

That's a real problem. Don't turn this into an obsession. You're already displaying classic obsessive compulsive exercise tendencies. Dial it way back. What you're doing is not good for your body and indicates to me a very unhealthy relationship with food and calories and possible body dismorphia.

Gotta agree here. It is starting to sound obsessive and unhealthy. You do not need 165 minutes on an elliptical. I'm not sure how you even stand it :).
  • ctwachal
    Options
    Working your body that hard, and not nourishing it adequately is putting yourself at risk of injuries, or other potential health risks. It doesn't sound like you're allowing your body the time to recover and heal. I think the most important thing to remember is balance. Working out nearly three hours a day isn't reasonable or sustainable. I would suggest cutting back on how much you exercise in one sitting, and take a couple days off a week so your muscles can repair themselves from the workouts.
    I also agree, talk to your primary physician about this first, and maybe they can refer you to another professional to help you. Too much of anything can truly be unhealthy.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Do a 30 minute bodyweight hiit workout and you will feel like you have worked your body in way less time. Or go lift some weights and do some plyometrics, just get off the elliptical and find something else that makes you feel worked. And eat more.
  • wmbrett
    wmbrett Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You do sound a bit crazy / obsessive, and you are probably burning more calories than you think on the elliptical. I generally get about 350 calories on my elliptical per 1/2 hour - and do it about 100 minutes a day - my machine says that is about 1080 calories - usually at about a 10 out of 20 resistance. My Fitbit I attach to the handle tells me that is about 750 calories - probably a bit on the low side - but for MFP - I go with the Fitbit calories. So you are likely burning at least 1200 calories during your time - depending on your intensity - if you don't eat more, you will continue to lose.