Struggling recovering after 1/2 marathon

Options
I completed my second 1/2 marathon on 9/28/13 and ended up in the medical tent with horrific leg cramps. I drank my water & fueled throughout the run & after. I kept walking & moving around when it was over as well. The leg cramps lasted a few day with help from tons of gatorade & food. Today (10/23/13) I am still struggling to recover. I'm exhausted all the time. I have difficulties waking up in the morning and am sluggish throughout the day until I go to bed at night. I am not able to run a 5k yet without walking & when I do run, it's 2-3 minutes slower per mile for pace. Doc said give it more time but it's killing me not being able to workout. Suggestions on what I can do?

Replies

• Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I would listen to the doctor and rest for as long as he recommends. Are you taking any supplements, doing any PT/OT exercises, using ice/heat? These can aid in recovery, but once again, verify anything you do with your doctor.

If you're mobile and just a little sluggish, replace the high impact running. Why not speed walk? Or pick up swimming, biking, elliptical, etc to keep working out? If your doc says it's ok, why not start a light strength regimen or yoga? There is a lot you can do while in recovery, but you need to give your body a rest if it's still begging for it.

Best of luck from here on out!
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor. And in your newly found free time, do some research on race recovery and overtraining. "Lore of Running" by Tim Noakes has a good section on how to recognize overtraining and deal with it (Spoiler Alert: the answer is rest).
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. I got similar feedback from a trainer and it just wasn't what I wanted to hear. I want to be back where I was a month ago!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Find a new way to workout or just wait. Ask your doctor what things other than running you can do.