Coffee as water intake?

Options
Does anyone else track coffee (black, no sugar) as water intake? Or do most people track it separately?

Replies

• ChrisMundie
    ChrisMundie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Caffeine actually dehydrates you as it is a diuretic, so you should actually be drinking another 2 cups of water for every 8oz. of black coffee you drink.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I track it separately because of the caffeine and that I sweeten it. For me, water is water, and anything else gets logged as whatever it is (coffee, tea, beer, whatever).
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    here we go again.....

what's next - is a calorie really a calorie?

unless you spell it w-a-t-e-r why would you log it as water?
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options

This.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    What Counts as Water?

Fruits are an excellent source for water. Watermelon is 90% water, so it ranks highest on the list. Oranges, grapefruit, and melons like cantaloupe and honeydew are also strong contenders.

Vegetables, though not as full of water as fruit, can also provide a nutrient-rich water source. Stick with celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, and Romaine lettuce.

There are plenty of hidden sources of water in your diet, says White. If you want to tap into these foods, reach for oatmeal, yogurt, soup, and smoothies.

Besides guzzling water, milk is a top choice to refuel. Sodas, even diet ones, get a bad rap for lacking nutritional value, but they can still be hydrating. Juices and sports drinks are also hydrating -- you can lower the sugar content by diluting them with water.

Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11022872

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754

___________________________________________________________________________________________

In short, yes, you can count your coffee towards your fluid totals.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Caffeine actually dehydrates you as it is a diuretic, so you should actually be drinking another 2 cups of water for every 8oz. of black coffee you drink.

Not true.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't track my beverages; they are all zero calorie. I have a good habit of drink plenty of water (about a gallon per day, not including coffee/tea) and I drink coffee & tea in moderation so they are not a problem.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I only log water as water.

I do log other drinks, even black coffee or unsweetened tea, partly because I track my potassium and it's in both of those, and partly so I can keep track of my overall fluid intake for the day in addition to plain ol' water.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lol!
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    here we go again.....

Lol!
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Coffee, if it contains caffeine, works as a diuretic and therefore should not be counted toward your fluid intake.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Coffee, if it contains caffeine, works as a diuretic and therefore should not be counted toward your fluid intake.

Not true.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else track coffee (black, no sugar) as water intake? Or do most people track it separately?

I don't track either because it's pointless and unrelated to weight loss. Most of my hydration is the water in beverages, like most of the population. In my case hot beverages unsweetened and without milk. The rest is from water in my food.
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Nope! I just let thirst dictate how much to drink because you can drink too much - the body is a great thing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lettuce counts, apples count, coffees count, sodas even count, though that's probably not the best choice. Humans need 1-2L total h20 consumption through any means over the course of a day. Water is "best" because it's free, calorie-free, and theoretically pure hydration (though some sure isn't!).

I don't track water, but I always have a drink going. Often decaf iced tea *shrug* or coffee which just happens to be what I like. I tend to drink plain filtered water in the car (to avoid drive-thru stops) and during/after workouts.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Why not just drink water and count it as...water?
  • mitchiemo
    Options
    Why not just drink water and count it as...water?

Probably because he thinks water is a bit boring.
  • mitchiemo
    Options
    here we go again.....

Sounds like you been on this website a bit too long lol!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I only log water as water.

I do log other drinks, even black coffee or unsweetened tea, partly because I track my potassium and it's in both of those, and partly so I can keep track of my overall fluid intake for the day in addition to plain ol' water.

Yep, this. Water is water, the rest is hydrating, but not water.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I eat steak and log it as chicken. Sure, why not.