Need help & support from those w/ disease

Options
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2006 -- spent 3 years in a wheelchair. I occasionally get flare-ups, and my immune system is very low. With MS, you're not allowed to overheat and/or over do it... so it's a constant balancing act. When I was going out for a jog in the summer during a heat wave, I had a flare up that put me in the hospital. There is no cure for MS.

Just wondering if there is anybody out there who also is doing a balancing act with a disease. Also, is a gluten-free diet beneficial for disease??

Thanks! :)

Replies

• jrfit79
    jrfit79 Posts: 30
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I can't. I have a close relative that was diagnosed with MS and all he can do is walk, log his food to keep his calories in check and avoid stress. I wish you much success and hope you can find some answers that will help :)
  • jazzerciseN
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. My step dad was diagnosed with MS a few years ago and has improved so much since! His lesions have even gotten smaller! He still has his bad days but is doing much better on a gluten free, high protein diet. I know you are a vegetarian/vegan, but it has helped him a lot. Also, he takes a LOT of probiotics and claims it makes a difference. Another thing we've noticed is that the barometric pressure outside plays a big part in his overall feeling for the day.

Hope you find some relief!
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys!! :)
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have chronic pain and it is a balancing act. I do as much as I can as far as working out - run/walk for 30 min & core work 3x a week and sometimes I'll throw in circuit training to mix it up. I've found that with physical problems limiting the exercises we can do, diet is even more important. I try and focus on that to keep my weight in check. Even though I've had chronic pain for years, it's still trial and error with it because each day my pain level & physical aptitude may be different. So I just have to go with it and not let the uncertainty cause me to give up. You're not alone, there are many of us out here not willing to give up and let our illnesses win. You can do this, we can do this! :flowerforyou: