I can't stop myself from eating junk!

Options
So today I ate alright except when I got home! Once I got home I started pigging out! I ate so many unessasary calories today! And also yesterday! I just can't seem to eat healthy! I'm still living at home with my parents since I'm in school so I come home to their food. So today and yesterday we had hot fries, of course I ate them and I ate a lot. I couldn't seem to stop! Then I exercised and today my mom bought Chinese food because she had no time to cook and I was just going to take a bite but I ate like a hole plate of beef fried rice along with a chocolate donut! I just couldn't resist! I need healthier eating habits but its so hard when your family will not go along with your diet! So what can I do to stop pigging out! I'm so desperate! I need to lose 20 pounds by atleast march for an important event coming up! Please any tips and advice! Thank you

Replies

• FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I know this too well. My sister is adamant that counting calories don't work and I'm stupid for trying. Last night she brought home Krispy Kreme donuts, today they had Federico's (mexican food), every weekend lately they get Chinese takeout. It is so damn hard. I just tell myself not to touch it. Plus my annoyance at my sister makes me not touch them. I feel for you, cause I know how hard this is.
  • sarahwilson12
    sarahwilson12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First off - relax :smile: Don't beat yourself up. We all do this. It's very hard... not even going to lie about that one.

Secondly - how many calories are you eating every day? Maybe if you make your diary public, then we can see what kind of things you're eating, etc.

A really good method is doing your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) minus 20%. You won't lose weight as quickly, but it's a much easier transition. If you think that's too much to eat, then just do your TDEE - 15%.

Good luck :smile:
  • carmelle01
    carmelle01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that by drinking warm water with 2 slices of lemon helps me with my cravings. I like it so much that I drink lemon water all day long.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, just empathy. I have the same issue. Just keep trying, that is all we can do. :)
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I find that by drinking warm water with 2 slices of lemon helps me with my cravings. I like it so much that I drink lemon water all day long.

Great advice! I'll try this. :) Thanks!!
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I understand the mentality of "I can't stop myself from..."
    You have to change the way you think about it. You can try all the "tricks" in the book, but until you get your mind right, it's not going to work.

You CAN stop yourself from eating junk, you don't WANT to stop yourself from eating junk. You have to want to do it bad enough that the desire to stop outweighs your desire to eat everything in sight.
  • GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well, here is a little tip that I did when visiting my family.

1) Make sure YOUR foods are in the house. If Chinese food is the only food around, of course your going to partake. But if that fresh spinach or pear is sitting there, you better rescue it!.

2) If they are eating something that you don't want, go for a run or a walk
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to change your diet overnight. It's just not feasible for most people. Start small with something you think you CAN change. Maybe it's cut out sodas and drink water instead. Do JUST THAT ONE THING for at least 2-3 weeks until it becomes a habit that you don't even think about. Maybe next, you decide to add one health thing to your diet that you don't normally eat. Do that thing till it becomes habit. Continue to make small changes and over time, I think you'll find that pretty soon, you won't even want the junk.

Oh, and before you say it, I already know what your response will be: If I do that I'll never reach my goal weight by Feb. My response to that is that what you're currently doing isn't going to get you there either, but at least my way will get you closer.
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also remember extremely similar situations in the past when my mom would offer/serve me really fattening food and I completely understand how hard it is to not eat what everyone else is eating or to say no altogether. The first thing you need to do is be able to tell your mom exactly what you want, and she needs to be able to respect that. If you say you're done with donuts, she shouldn't ask you any more if you want some. Just think of them as something you no longer eat. They are no longer "for" you.

Another thing you can do is ask your mom to only buy you half portions of entrees or just one side. Something very small, and then add lots of vegetables to that and make it a meal. (Like, one side of a small portion of Chinese rice but with lots of steamed broccoli on the side.) That way you can still join in with everybody else and still satisfy your curiosity/craving for the food, but also be satisfied and not go overboard.

It's never going to work if you make it about being perfect 100% of the time, so just try to enjoy the junk in smaller quantities and have backup food to keep you full. Compromise with yourself, never just give in! The small steps really do add up over time and good habits will eventually start to form.

Hope this helps... It never becomes "easy" but it does get easier when you're on your own and away from people with unhealthy eating habits. For now, just take it slow and start with small changes. And remember, you're certainly not alone!! We were likely all there at some point. :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Stop saying that you CAN'T stop. You can. That's really all there is to it.

I know it's hard to change your eating habits, but when it comes down to it, if you want to really make a change, you will do it. Maybe not every time, but most times. Keep trying and it'll get easier!

You're the only one responsible for your eating habits and you're the only one that has the power to change anything. Not your parents, not any of us, just you!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You have to change the way you think about it. You can try all the "tricks" in the book, but until you get your mind right, it's not going to work.

You CAN stop yourself from eating junk, you don't WANT to stop yourself from eating junk. You have to want to do it bad enough that the desire to stop outweighs your desire to eat everything in sight.
    this is basically what I was trying to get at, it just sounds a little nicer so I'm going to quote this to agree and to say that I'm not trying to be rude with my reply, I've been there too!
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    also add your foods the the next day ahead of time. This works for me because I hate breaking whatever I enter into MFP. This only works, however, because I already have that mental discipline. The MFP is just an arbitrary correlation with what I eat.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also remember extremely similar situations in the past when my mom would offer/serve me really fattening food and I completely understand how hard it is to not eat what everyone else is eating or to say no altogether. The first thing you need to do is be able to tell your mom exactly what you want, and she needs to be able to respect that. If you say you're done with donuts, she shouldn't ask you any more if you want some. Just think of them as something you no longer eat. They are no longer "for" you.

Another thing you can do is ask your mom to only buy you half portions of entrees or just one side. Something very small, and then add lots of vegetables to that and make it a meal. (Like, one side of a small portion of Chinese rice but with lots of steamed broccoli on the side.) That way you can still join in with everybody else and still satisfy your curiosity/craving for the food, but also be satisfied and not go overboard.

It's never going to work if you make it about being perfect 100% of the time, so just try to enjoy the junk in smaller quantities and have backup food to keep you full. Compromise with yourself, never just give in! The small steps really do add up over time and good habits will eventually start to form.

Hope this helps... It never becomes "easy" but it does get easier when you're on your own and away from people with unhealthy eating habits. For now, just take it slow and start with small changes. And remember, you're certainly not alone!! We were likely all there at some point. :)

Very good answer! Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    i know the answer to this because I am in your boat.

We will have to work hard to train ourselves like we are 2 year olds.

We say no, we get something healthier and we resist and think about all the reasons of why we need to avoid that food, we dont need it, we have gotten nowhere from eating it.....think of our goals.....
    Monday next week I will have a chart, a plan, a selection of food and a goal......say no.
  • Chanti1620
    Chanti1620 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to completely stop your self from eating foods you love. you need to learn to eat things in moderation.
    Instead of pigging out on the chinese food, eat just enough to satisfy your craving. that way you don't have to beat yourself up over eating to much, you can give yourself a pat on the back for being able to control yourself.

and if you want more "junk" drink tons of cold water, i think its filling. I can't give up pork fried rice, i have it about once a month and i get a large and i eat it by my damn self.

One step at a time, you can't do everything at once, if you try to give everything up at once you might be setting yourself up for failure.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You just have to be mentally strong. Don't lose focus on the reasons you want to lose the weight to begin with. It is a slow, long process so you need to keep reminding yourself of what you want to achieve and why.

We all have bad days. I had one yesterday, ate like 800 calories more than I should have. Do I care today? Not at all. It happens to everyone, you just re-focus and continue working towards your goals.

If you can control yourself there is no reason why you can't eat some 'junk food', just make sure you count it into your daily calories.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

^^^ This is so right. You have to motivate yourself. Buy a pair of great jeans or other clothes in the size you want to be and leave them out in your room where you can see them -- I did this with jeans and they motivated me to lose almost 40 pounds. I could see them and every once in a while would try them on, until one day they fit. Look at photos of people in the size you want to be. Give yourself positive messages: "I AM going to be this size, I AM going to be this person..... It's going to happen. I am done with being fat."

You can also buy a mini-fridge to keep your own food. They cost about $100 from Walmart (look on their website), plus other stores sell them. Make healthy food for yourself. Get some protein shakes. Buy a great looking 32 oz water bottle, keep it full of filtered water and lemon slices, and drink that all day because it will curb your hunger.
  • annabarratt1
    Options
    DONT WORRY ABOUT IT JUST START AGAIN THE NEXT DAY ... OH AND PLENTY OF EXERCISE ... THE MORE EXERCISE ONE GETS THE LESS LIKELY YOU ARE TO PIG OUT!
  • tara11224
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. It seems to be a mental thing for me when I diet all I think of is fatty foods I hate it :( I go to the gym 3/4 times a week and I am ALWAYS hungry.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I'm living with my future in laws until we get married in a couple months. But I've just learned that I can't have "just a bite"... if I have one bite, that Chinese or doughnut or whatever it may be is as good as gone. I just try to drink tea instead.. have my yummy salad or whatever it may be ... and take a shower when they eat so I'm not around it until it's gone or packed in the fridge so it's too much effort to heat up and eat.

it works so much better for me, still hard, but if I get a taste of it it's a lot harder to stop eating