American Menu themed dinner.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    As a whole, the US doesn't have a tremendous food culture. We have certain areas of the country that have various food cultures, but no singular food culture really to speak of. Standard "American" fare generally revolves around a hunk of meat, potatoes or rice, and possibly a vegetable if granny made you eat 'em.

Most of our more cultured cuisine actually comes from other cultures I'm afraid.

You may want to look into southern cooking as an example of an area that really has a food culture and it's own cuisine...otherwise grill up a steak and serve with a baked potato and a salad slathered in some kind of creamy dressing.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    If he is just getting back from San francisco, make Rice-a-roni - that's the San Francisco Treat! :)
    I found a homemade recipe - sounds easy and delicious.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-rice-a-roni-24476
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Don't know if your brother is a real "foodie" but you might try American Indian food, corn and squash are big veggie items, fish - west coast has a lot of available species or Mexican dishes, tacos are pretty easy to do and can be vegetarian, fish or meat. Whatever you decide I'm sure you can find a "lighter" version on line (or here - check blogs/recent posts) that will meet your desires. Enjoy!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Burger and fries....can't get more American than that.

To make it healthy though, you can do turkey or chicken burgers. Then for dessert, nothing screams American like apple pie.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    pizza!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    People are right. America is a melting pot, and everyone brings their own cuisine with them when they immigrate. The only "traditional American Food" that I can think of is Thanksgiving dinner: Roast turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, baked squash, green bean casserole, & pumpkin pie. The English Pilgrims began this tradition with the help of their Native American neighbors. If your brother was on the West Coast he would probably have had sea food, Mexican food, and Chinese food. Thai food is gaining in popularity. Ask him what he likes.
  • hunnyhun921
    hunnyhun921 Posts: 20 Member
    you can do oven fried chicken. Makes it a little healthier.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Agreed that you should ask what he ate while there and use that for a jumping-off point. I can guarantee what he ate in San Francisco is a lot different from the cornbread and beans we eat so often here in West Virginia.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Burger and fries....can't get more American than that.

To make it healthy though, you can do turkey or chicken burgers. Then for dessert, nothing screams American like apple pie.

Why would you need to do turkey or chicken burgers...there is nothing inherently unhealthy about red meat. Burger is just ground steak and can be had at various fat contents...there is nothing inherently "healthier" about a turkey burger than a beef burger...pure nonsense.
  • ugottafriend
    ugottafriend Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks everyone - lots of good ideas here. We have lots of barbecues in summer here but the weather is a bit unsettled at the moment so dinner will be inside.
    I haven't heard of collard greens so thats on the list!
    I like the idea of buffalo cauliflower too and I can do a bean jambalaya
    Once again thanks for all the good ideas - it will be fun trying out some new recipes.

Hope you love the collard greens! I always cut them off the stems, braise them in broth (use veggie broth if you don't do chicken or beef), salt and pepper, and a bit of vinegar to cut down the bitterness. If you like a bit of sweet, you can add a touch of sugar. If you like heat, consider Tabasco sauce on the side. It's wonderful with cornbread or Southern biscuits!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Damn, and I was going to suggest a deep fried frozen turkey!
    Have fun with your family dinner.
    Ben

wouldnt that cause an explosion when you put it into the oil?
  • ugottafriend
    ugottafriend Posts: 97 Member
    Damn, and I was going to suggest a deep fried frozen turkey!
    Have fun with your family dinner.
    Ben

wouldnt that cause an explosion when you put it into the oil?

Thawing the bird first is much safer. :)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Hamburgers on the grill with lettuce, tomato, pickle, catsup, mustard, mayo and onion on a grilled bun. Potato salad and baked beans. Coke

I'm American and I have never had a collard green. I don't even know how to make it. Midwesterner here.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I'm English but I've been to San Francisco. By Fisherman's Wharf they were selling clam chowder in sourdough bread. That looked really nice, wish I'd tried it now!

I also think some of the food Americans talk about for thanksgiving sounds nice, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie and things,
  • HayasakaErica
    HayasakaErica Posts: 4 Member
    If you are still taking recommendations I would definitely recommend something like baked beans, sweet potato pie or deviled eggs. Though if you want something more SF-oriented (I've grown up less than two hours away from there and visit pretty regularly) I would definitely recommend clam chowder. And throwing an avocado on anything apparently makes it a California dish. Oh, you want avocado on that burger -BAM- it's a California burger. :)
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Though if you want something more SF-oriented (I've grown up less than two hours away from there and visit pretty regularly) I would definitely recommend clam chowder. And throwing an avocado on anything apparently makes it a California dish. Oh, you want avocado on that burger -BAM- it's a California burger. :)
    You are so sweet to plan such a welcoming meal for your brother & family :)

I live an hour south of SanFrancisco, and my family is from San Francisco...
    Yes, clam chowder, avocado, french bread, sourdough bread !!

How about a green salad (baby greens or baby spinach) with candied walnuts, mild goat cheese, dried cranberries/cherries. With a balsamic vinegar & olive oil dressing. VERY Californian !!

FRESH ingredients. Big on vegetables that aren't overcooked nor overseasoned. SanFrancisco area loves using garlic, chilis & fresh spices. Let the natural flavors shine!! Heirloom tomatoes, basil, cilantro, fresh soft cheeses, dried fruits. Ethnic influences on spices ... asian, especially thai or vietamese, mexican.

Dessert : Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie. Vanilla Ice Cream with crumbled SALTED toffee sprinkled over the top.
    ... Combo of salty & sweet is very in. Especially with sea salt ( do not use IONIZED salt ~ which is nasty nasty stuff.)
    Another popular item is good quality dark chocolate with bacon !! yum !!

San Francisco is a very very foodie city... Green's Restaurant, Chez Panisse Restaurant, Ferry Building Farmer's Market, Tartine Bakery, Bi-Rite Creamery, It's It Ice Cream to name a few.

For more SF regional foodie stuff, check out :
    http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/1
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    how about a t-giving kind of meal? 99% of the meal is the delicious sides, anyway, that's what most people love - you could do:
    pumpkin soup
    stuffing (make one with sausage and one without)
    mashed potatoes
    sweet potatoes
    green beans
    some kind of bean casserole
    corn bread
    and a whole bunch of pies for dessert (apple, cheese cake pie, pumpkin etc)
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    how about a t-giving kind of meal? 99% of the meal is the delicious sides, anyway, that's what most people love - you could do:
    pumpkin soup
    stuffing (make one with sausage and one without)
    mashed potatoes
    sweet potatoes
    green beans
    some kind of bean casserole
    corn bread
    and a whole bunch of pies for dessert (apple, cheese cake pie, pumpkin etc)

YES ! Thanksgiving menu is always so yummy !! my favorite meal of the whole year :)