Too much of a calorie deficit?

Options
I think to answer my question, I need to provide some details; in June, I was prescribed steroids for a back problem and had to quit my daily exercise routine and I laid in bed for about a week. I gained about 5 pounds over a month, which puts me at 158 right now. Ideally, I would like to weigh between 145-147 so I would like to take the 5 pounds off plus some more. (I am female, 5'9.)

My calorie restriction is currently 1200 calories. When I factor in my daily exercise, whether it be circuit training, running, or spin class, I enter in whatever my heart rate monitor says that I have expended (usually between 600 to 800 calories for two sessions). Therefore, my calories are bumped up to an allowance of 1800 - 2000 per day. However, I NEVER come close to eating even 1300, even on the days when I have the 1800-2000 allowance.

I always exceed my protein allowance, by at least double from protein powders, but do not come close to 1/2 the carbs and am usually at 2/3 of the allowed fat.

It was brought to my attention that: if my body uses approx 1700 a day (desk job), plus the 600-800 from exercise, totaling an expenditure of 2300-2500 calories, while only ingesting about 1200, I might not see weight loss results as the deficit could be too large?

Any thoughts, advice or sources to influence the next steps I take in reorganizing my daily diet.

I would like to remain on track to lose approx 1.5-2 lbs a week. Initially, I thought 3500 cal in a pound, times two = 7,000, so I need a 7,000 calorie deficit a week for a 2lb weight loss, which would mean a daily deficit of 1,000 calories? Am I wrong?

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Nope you are not wrong. All of that math is correct. :) The only thing is you can put your body into starvation mode (a real thing, not just a term thrown around this site a lot). If this happens then your body will try and hold onto what little fat you have because it thinks you're starving. According to health sites the lowest amount of cals a woman should eat is 1200 net calories (cals on top of burned/expended ones). I wanted to lose 2 lbs/wk but based on my current weight (I'm thin) MFP will only calculate for me to lose 1.4 lbs/week because it will not tell me to eat less than 1200 cals a day, which is what would need to happen to make me lose 2 lbs/wk. Good luck to you hun!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat more, the deficit is probably too large and you metabolism may be slowing down. There are simple ways to increase you caloric intake without eating "more" food. Just eat more calorie dense foods. Try eating nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados, add olive oil to sauces and salads. If you drink milk increase the % ( switch from 1% to 2%). There are more ways to increase your calories without adding a lot of food.

Also for the nutrient info if you find the high protein low carb diet works for you you can change your settings on MFP go to settings, click change goals, select custom, change your % fat, carbs, and protein, then click save changes.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A daily deficit of 1000 calories based on your total energy expenditure, which is MUCH higher than most people think it is. Yours actually looks around about correct, without doing all the complex math. So I would say if you eat around 1300-1500 a day, you should be ok. Now, saying that, listen to your body. If you stop losing, try something different. If you get sick often, try something different. You know yourself better than this website does, so listen to that.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    This is the part thats confusing to me too. Im brand new at this...5'2", 132 lbs, just joined the site. I would LOVE to lose 2 lbs a week but how am I suppose to get the daily deficit of 1000 calories? My first day my net ended at 1006 and said calories remaining 194, yesterday my net was 1210 and calories remaining 10. Is that my deficit??? and am I suppose to purposely add those calories I burn off? I mean if my goal is 1200 calories a day but say I burn off 200 then it makes it appear I have to now eat 1400 calories. So where does the deficit/weight loss come into play if Im understanding correctly and the more I exercise/burn off the more Im suppose to eat?
  • erickirb
    Options
    This is the part thats confusing to me too. Im brand new at this...5'2", 132 lbs, just joined the site. I would LOVE to lose 2 lbs a week but how am I suppose to get the daily deficit of 1000 calories? My first day my net ended at 1006 and said calories remaining 194, yesterday my net was 1210 and calories remaining 10. Is that my deficit??? and am I suppose to purposely add those calories I burn off? I mean if my goal is 1200 calories a day but say I burn off 200 then it makes it appear I have to now eat 1400 calories. So where does the deficit/weight loss come into play if Im understanding correctly and the more I exercise/burn off the more Im suppose to eat?

The 1200 calories is your intake with a deficit. If you want to see how much of a deficit 1200 gives you go in and change your goals to maintenance, this will probably give you 1700 calories or so. so 1200 already has you in a deficit, to keep the deficit equal to your goal you eat what you burn. If you burn 500 calories your body and eat them all 1700 you are still in a 500 calorie deficit. 1700 - 1200 = 500 deficit is the same as (1700+500 from exercise) -(1200+500exersice) 2200-1700 = 500.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Thanks Eric! That makes alot more sense, although 1200 sure doesnt feel like a deficit since Im eating more than Ive ever ate in my life LOL!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I spent 2 1/2 hrs in exercise classes yesterday... burning I'm sure well over 1000 calories. However, when I got out I ate my 500 calorie dinner... and felt full. My daily goal (before exercise) is 1490. I hit 1492. I felt fine, and full... Do I really need to eat back those 1000 calories?

Why does this have to be so hard? haha
  • LeslieAnn145
    Options
    Thank you. MFP set my daily intake at 1200 with 1.4 lbs lost per week. So, I guess when it says I have 800 remaining (at the end of the day due to the added in calories that I expended from exercise) I still could have eaten that 800 calories and still achieved the 1.4 loss per week? Is that correct?

If so, I was thinking about adding a Stone Ground pita in the morning with my egg/egg whites (which would be adding 60 calories) and some full fat cheese (100 calories) and incorporating berries at lunch (adding about 100 calories) and 1/4 cup garbanzo beans at dinner (adding 70 calories).

That should help me get at least a little closer to the "calorie goal" for the days I know I am going to train.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I spent 2 1/2 hrs in exercise classes yesterday... burning I'm sure well over 1000 calories. However, when I got out I ate my 500 calorie dinner... and felt full. My daily goal (before exercise) is 1490. I hit 1492. I felt fine, and full... Do I really need to eat back those 1000 calories?

Why does this have to be so hard? haha

Essentially yes, but everyone is different, if this is a normal occurrence then your metabolism may slow down making it harder to lose, and easier to gain, weight. Just remember when entering exercise calories that you have to back out the calories that you would have burned at rest if you didn't workout, probably 1-1.5 cals per minute which are taken into account in your daily caloric allotment. So in your case you would enter 775 or so by taking the 1000 burned and mins the 1.5 cals/min for 150 min (1000-225) The 775 is the amount you should eat. And remember you don't have to eat more food to eat more calories just choose food that is higher in calories, such as higher % fat milk, nuts, seeds, nut butter, olive oils added to food, this way you get more calories without eating more food.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Thank you. MFP set my daily intake at 1200 with 1.4 lbs lost per week. So, I guess when it says I have 800 remaining (at the end of the day due to the added in calories that I expended from exercise) I still could have eaten that 800 calories and still achieved the 1.4 loss per week? Is that correct?

Yes you are correct, but err on the side of caution for the 800, try eating 80% of them in case you over estimated the burn and to account for the calories you would have burned during that time if you didn't exercise.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Hahaha thats EXACTLY my point! I should have paid more attention in math class :)
    I just checked my goals and letting it figure it out (recommended) it has me Daily Calorie Deficit 250 calories
    Projected Weight Los 0.5 lbs/ week. I tried to change it to deficit 1000 and weight loss 2 lbs a week and if I try that going with their recommended it wont let me. I could likely change it under custom but if it isnt recommended....maybe I shouldnt. 0.5 a week just sounds like its going to take so long to get this done. I dont want to spend 30 weeks losing 15 pounds. I want it all and I want it NOW! LOL!