Strength Training with little or no equipment

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a strength training program/routine that I can do in my home or prehaps outside in the yard that requires little or no equipment. I'm work from home and mother to 4 small kids, so I don't have the option of joining a gym now.

I'm 5'6 228lbs female, I've lost 50lbs already but I have 60 more lbs to go. I've been mostly doing low impact excerise walking, swimming) I recently started Zumba, and bought some 2kg and 5kg dumb bells. I'm not sure how to use the dumb bells, yeah I'm useless right. I tired to strength train, lifting the dumb bells, but it really didn't go well. I really don't know what I'm doing, how much, for how long, etc. I'm slimming down, but I still feel weak and jiggly. i thought losing weight I'd automatically be stronger and be able to do things I did before gaining all this weight .... but guess not! I want to be stronger. :(

Looking on YouTube, there's a 101 different workouts, best are good for beginners and for people with knee/back problems. Workouts like bootcamp, Insanity and Julian Micheals seem to be popular ... popular ok but they are good for me? Any suggestions? Tips?

Thank you!

Replies

• zoecollins
    zoecollins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi There, I also have a small boy and have been doing Jillian michaels a while and think shes brilliant. I have a few different DVD's of hers and would recomend her to anyone. I use one set of dumbells at 2.5kgs and work out on a carpet usually just in my underwear or something.. minimal equipment and clothing haha works great for me :)
  • trin_007
    Options
    You really don't need special equipment to exercise. A skipping rope is great for cardio, then you just need to educate yourself with an arsenal of body weight exercises (google for ideas depending on what suits you, or if you want to target specific areas each session.)

Pick 6 of your favorite (or most challenging) BWEs, and alternate one minute of skipping with one minute of BWE - repeat for 3 complete rounds - it should take about 45 mins depending on any breaks (or interruptions) you take inbetween each transition.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sorry for my ignorance what does BWE mean Trin?

I found this on Youtube FitBlender ... good one to do? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lvKyuhdAT0
  • crb0077
    crb0077 Posts: 35
    Options
    BWE Body Weight Exercies...Pushups Planks Dips Squats Lunges etc....with your dumbbells you can work on your arms and shoulders and chest....with curls and presses and raises and also add a bit more weight for your squats and lunges.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    try the nerd fitness site begginers bodyweight resistance training, really effective and very easy with no equipment other than a big milk carton or some handweights.