HELP! What am I doing wrong?

Options
I am getting frustrated. I have been dieting for a little over 2 weeks - I lost 7.5 lbs during this time. Today, I get on the scales and I had *gained* back 2 LBS! I didn't go over my calorie goals, except for 1 time in the last 5 days and as a matter of fact, I was under my 1200 goal several days. What's going on? I need help to stay motivated!!! I only need to lose about 10-12 more lbs! Thanks!

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not starving yourself by being under the 1200 calories. You body can go into starvation and hold onto fat if you eat less than 1200 calories.

Could be water bweight, stress, TTOM, etc. Wait to see what happens in a few days. I gained 2 # for 2 days then weighed myself this morning and found i was down 2.3#.

Drink pleanty of water.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I would guess most of what you lost the first week was water weight.
    Don't eat under the 1200 calories - period - you need those for your body to function the right way or your body will hold on to the fat.
    I really cant give you any suggestions as your food diary is private.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you only have a few pounds left to lose your goal should be for about 1/2 pound per week, 1 pound at the most, this will give you more calories to eat and should fuel your body to help it burn better. That being said the 1200 is a minimum amount and you should not be more than a few calories over or under.

The weight gain could easily be water weight due to increased sodium intake or due to your cycle. most people's weight fluctuates by 2-3 pounds in the same day. Keep doing what you are doing and maybe add a few more calories to your diet and you should see results shortly.
  • RossyMcSkimbo
    Options
    You should only weight yourself once a week maximum, on the same scales, on the same piece of floor, at the same time (first thing in the morning) on the same day.

I imagine you weigh yourself everyday...........sometimes more than once? I've seen myself vary by 8lbs in a single day due to fluid intake, your 2lbs will just be water weight, nothing to worry about. Keep up the good work :)
  • tlm1994
    tlm1994 Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you sure this wasn't during "Mother Nature Time" ?? This happens to me every month around that time =(
  • Angiepackmom4
    Options
    Don't be too alarmed. Since you are not going over your calories, you are probably just retaining a little water (could be menstrual cycle or just before menstrual cycle or hormone related) so that 2 pound increase should be coming off soon if you continue in the direction your going. Our bodies from time to time can fluctuate a little depending on fluid retention, hormones, weather, etc. So don't panic and start eating more just because you gained 2 pounds. That would only cause you to gain "real" pounds.
  • TXmama
    TXmama Posts: 37
    Options
    7-1/2 pounds in 2 weeks is an insane amount of weight loss. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally jealous, but it isn't really a reasonable amount. 1 pound a week is more like it -- so if you've gained back 2, that's still 5-1/2 pounds in 2 weeks or over 2-1/2 pounds a week, so you are doing GREAT. Initial weight loss -- those first couple of weeks -- are usually a lot of water weight and not "real"... you need to be patient, keep the faith, know that this is a marathon and not a sprint. It is hard. There have been weeks when I've been "perfect" -- the right calories, good exercise -- but I lose nothing or even gain a bit. But stick with it and over the long haul the pounds -- and more importantly, the inches! -- do come off. Also I would caution you about "dieting"... make sure you are getting ENOUGH calories, don't try to go way under your goal. You should be trying to come in right about at your goal. Too few calories can, ironically, sabotage your weight loss as badly as too many can. GOOD LUCK!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of people said--first, most of the first 7.5 was probably water weight (this is why most diets fail--after that initial big loss, people just give up and try another method), and second, by eating under 1200 you're depriving your body of calories it needs just to keep you alive, so your body hangs on to every last calorie you eat, essentially undoing all your hard work. I also agree that it might be that time of the month, and the extra weight will come off by next week. I would recommend ensuring that you're hitting at least 1200 per day and monitoring your weight over the next couple weeks... doing this will make sure that you aren't eating too little and that you're factoring in the "TOM" possibility.

I found that when I reached a plateau, if I bumped up my calorie intake to maintainance calories (significantly higher than 1200 per day) for a week then went back down to weight loss, I started losing again, so try that if all else fails...
  • shellishell
    Options
    Yes, I do weigh EvERYDAY! It keeps me focused on the mission! I did open up my food diary....I just realized I had it for friend view only. Thanks for all the wonderful feedback....
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Yes, the first couple of weeks most of weight loss is water weight. That is why some fad diets seem to work like magic, it is water weight and it comes right back. I have seen a weight loss of 5 lbs overnight. Now I just weigh myself on Monday morning.
    Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged. It takes 3500 extra calories to make a pound of fat so you can be sure it's not that!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary, you need to eat more.
    The last week your basically having 1 meal a day, a coffee for breakfast and some snacks.

That's not good enough, and others have mentioned, the less weight you have to lose, the more you need to eat.
  • gussmi
    gussmi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Diet alone will not do it. If thumper44 is right after looking at your profile, you are probably not eating enough and your body just went into starvation mode. You must diet and exercise. Make sure to eat at least 1200 calories a day in order to keep your body from going into starvation mode. Also, focus on a lifestyle change, and not dieting and you will not only lose weight, but keep it off. Snack during the day on fruits,nuts and drink water. DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF!!! and stay positive.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated. it happens to the best. It could be alot of things. Retaining water. That time of the month. Even stress can stop you from losing weight. Keep up the good work and you will see the weight come off again. Plus since you don't have alot of weight to lose you won't lose in big amounts after you lose the initial water weight. You keep the faith and keep working at it. You've done a good job so far.
  • shellishell
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Just what I needed...I had forgotten that 3500 calories make a pound - that made me feel lots better! Best of luck to all of you on your journey!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you are not eating enough! I can't be sure you're in "starvation mode" but you really should make more effort to eat regular meals so your body doesn't "hold on" to every calorie you eat, thinking it won't get anything else. You really should try to stick to whatever MFP says you should consumer for slow, steady and lasting weightloss. Don't drop under 1200 cals/day regularly.