Vacation...

Options
Strange how I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.

At home, the food and exercise is reliable and predictable. Granted, the resort we are going to has a gym and a pool...

It's more the unlimited alcohol and food that has me worried. I know exactly how things went when we went to this resort last year and I'm afraid of my progress completely coming to a standstill or being undone by this trip.

Any advice/things you do on vacation to avoid blowing it? Thanks!

Replies

• MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    continue to log everything, add extra exercise, and ask yourself if you *really* want to blow your progress by eating that extra whatever or drinking another tequilla. remember - having a great vacation is *not* just about getting wasted every night. it's about relaxing, having a good time, maybe doing something fun and interesting (Sky diving?), or visiting some interesting site or museum.

I was on vacation for about 12 days, i ate stuff that i normally don't eat, i couldn't prepare my own food was at the mercy of my hosts and the airlines but i walked for hours every day, continued to log everything, and came home 2 lbs lighter. so it is possible.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    continue to log everything, add extra exercise, and ask yourself if you *really* want to blow your progress by eating that extra whatever or drinking another tequilla. remember - having a great vacation is *not* just about getting wasted every night. it's about relaxing, having a good time, maybe doing something fun and interesting (Sky diving?), or visiting some interesting site or museum.

I was on vacation for about 12 days, i ate stuff that i normally don't eat, i couldn't prepare my own food was at the mercy of my hosts and the airlines but i walked for hours every day, continued to log everything, and came home 2 lbs lighter. so it is possible.

Well I do intend to exercise every day and definitely do not plan to get drunk every day...
    But logging isn't an option-we have to turn off our cell service since we're leaving the country.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sure indulge while on vacation. Continue to get in your workouts though. You'll feel better about it most likely. Enjoy some alcohol as well. For me the key to vacations are not about OVER Indulging in food (I don't drink alcohol) but enjoying not being wrapped up in the daily grind which is everyday life. To each their own of course but either way have fun.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    enjoying not being wrapped up in the daily grind which is everyday life. To each their own of course but either way have fun.

It's so true. The idea of not HAVING to get up at a certain time...sleeping in...breakfast in bed...Having no great plans for the day except to go swimming at the spa...

I'm so excited. I haven't had a real vacation since our honeymoon over a year ago. It's long overdue.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Vacation is just that.... Time to Enjoy myself with my family... I still get in my daily exercise but I relax my diet cause I want to enjoy the culinary foods where we are. It is normally 1 week and I am sure going to enjoy myself then once back home it is back to business as usual... Best of Luck
  • Emily_20x
    Emily_20x Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I drank so much on holiday and ate whatever I wanted. I was away for 17 days and came back 2lbs lighter. Must have been all the walking and swimming I did!
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I lost 3kg on vacation between walking all over the place, dancing, and getting a brief travel bug lol. I find keeping busy and enjoying myself tends to make weight stabilize or reduce on vacation even if I'm indulging food/beverage-wise.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Im leaving next week for a party cruise for 10 days.... and I plan to PARTY and DRINK and EAT and PARTY and DRINK and DRINK and EAT and PARTY...

Im not logging a single calorie or exercise....

I'll deal with the consequences, if any, when I get back....

the last party cruise, I came home down almost 6 pounds....lots of unintended exercise while on vacation.... plus dancing burns a lot of calories too....
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink what I want on vacation, but I pay attention to portion size and I try to at least get in some exercise by walking a lot if nothing else.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling!! I get excited but theres the dread too!! we head off in 2 weeks on another cruise and back in jul I gained 6lbs!! and that was me actually being careful with what I ate, walking loads and going to the gym!! it took me 9 weeks to get those 6lbs off so lesson learned, I MUST log my food. I will have no connection either so I think I'll jot down what I eat to keep tabs on it!!

HAVE A GREAT VACATION :)
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    If there's a form of exercise you really love, you can work your tail off to not gain weight during vacation without it really feeling like work. We did a beach vacation in NJ this past August. I brought my bike with me and tried to bike every chance I could. It wasn't just about burning calories. It was fun and different to bike in a different place, and especially to bike alongside the boardwalk area. We had our 4-year-old son with us, so there wasn't much drinking other than champagne on our anniversary. But, you can live it up without things getting out of hand. Have a great time!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I posted a very similar thread not long ago. I just got back from london/paris. london i could manage a bit more (no language barrier), but paris, asking for no sauce or plain...well, it didn't always come out like that. but i ate every meal. breakfast was often yogurt, bread and fruit. (foods I don't typically eat)...but I did. I slathered that french bread with butter and added jam. Though I tried to be careful, i definitely over ate my maintenance calories everyday by who know how much. I was scared my weight would be out of control once i weighed in upon returning. it didn't! my weight is the same (with the typical fluctuations). The only time it was a little high was when i weighed myself after a 9 hour flight--probably not a good idea.

this got me thinking...did all my tourist walking burn those extra calories or is my body capable of taking in more calories...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    How often do you go on vacation? Enjoy it.. a resort, all inclusive.. just don't pig out and avoid drinking sugary drinks all day and you will be fine..
  • vrandal
    vrandal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just go ahead and blow it! Vaca is for no stress, no worries!! No one can do that much damage in a week. Just have loads of fun, stay active and commit to get back on the horse day 1 home!
  • vrandal
    vrandal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, dont forget loads of water tho. Dont want rhe scales to decieve you when u get home.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Go, have fun, come back, get back on your normal schedule as soon as possible, wait 1 week to weigh yourself, and continue.

I just had 3 days in Atlanta with my BF's family. I didn't log, ate and drank, had fun. And Tuesday when I was back home, back to logging. I know I gained a lb or 2, but oh well. Not worth stressing yourself out about.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I continue to workout, but net at TDEE.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I drank so much on holiday and ate whatever I wanted. I was away for 17 days and came back 2lbs lighter. Must have been all the walking and swimming I did!

Me too!! I always started meals with a big salad, though, and I was too busy (or lazy) to snack.
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    I dealt with this too and this is what I did:

*Tell yourself just because there is a table full of food doesn't mean you have to eat it all, or at all
    *Look at all the fat/unhealthy people flocking the food table like its their last meal: Do you want to look like that?
    *Remember: Fruit is more expensive then fried chicken: Fill up on their expensive food, and sea food if offered
    *Remember why there is so much food: Because there is a lot of people: Not because you are there- and they put it out for you to gorge on
    *Remember the Nickle Back song: Rock stare: "We'll all stay skinny cause we just won't eat- and drink all day"
    *When people see you looking good- and eating well...you will be envied. No one looks at the fat girl and says wow shes so lucky.
    *Have pretzels with your drinks instead of garbage food- they are salty and make the drinks even better YUM

Just have fun- and remember these tips!!