Sodium, or not?

Options
So I have been reading other posts about their sodium levels and when I looked to make sure I'm not over my limits I noticed I don't have a colum for sodium in my diary. I have never had any issues with blood pressure, sodium, or even cholesterol, so I'm sot sure I need to worry too much about it, but I want to be sure.

Replies

• EmmyBee
    EmmyBee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I added a column in my diary to track sodium because I was eating some quickie-frozen meals at the office for lunch and wanted to be sure I was not harming myself with the amounts of sodium. It's up to you what you decide to keep track of, but it can't hurt :smile:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So I have been reading other posts about their sodium levels and when I looked to make sure I'm not over my limits I noticed I don't have a colum for sodium in my diary. I have never had any issues with blood pressure, sodium, or even cholesterol, so I'm sot sure I need to worry too much about it, but I want to be sure.

You could add a sodium column to your diary in your "settings".

Too little sodium is as dangerous as too much, too little would be anything under 500, 2500 is the recommended "high end" of sodium.

Add the column to your diary and you will get a clear idea then :smile:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I keep track of sodium because I'm so sensitive to it and bloat easily if I consume more than 1700 mg a day.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    anyone have tips on keeping sodium down? That seems to be something I'm really struggling with. :(
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    thanks guys! I survive with the frozen meals at work and would hate to not know they are problematic!
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    anyone have tips on keeping sodium down? That seems to be something I'm really struggling with. :(

Me too. Will be looking forward to some replies on this.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Me too. Will be looking forward to some replies on this.

Stick to as 'whole, unprocessed' food as possible. Take lunch with you to work...make it the day ahead. Read labels like a crazy person. The fewer things you eat from the 'middle' aisles of the store the better for your waist line, sodium levels, and wallet.
    Check out Tosca Reno's books or go to www.cleaneatingmag.com
    While the body does need sodium for daily functions...try to make sure it's sea salt and not table salt.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I agree with TheMaid.

If you don't eat a lot of canned and frozen foods and eat whole foods and cook your own meals, keeping sodium isn't too hard. Also, buy things 'low in sodium' or 'no salt added' when you need to buy canned tuna and stuff.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I definetly track of sodium, because I tend to get happy with salt shaker. Once I started keeping a food diary I was horrified at the amt of "healthy" foods that are loaded with salt such as frozen foods, lean sandwich meat, canned veggies, turkey bacon, etc. I keep track because salt also makes me bloated. I try to keep it around 1500 grams per day. It is a balancing act. Always drink plenty of water no matter how much sodium you eat. All processed foods will have sodium. Use fresh veggies, prepare all of your food using fresh products, read labels and keep watch of your food diary. If u have too much salt for one meal, cut down the rest of the day. Use lower sodium choices of the snacks you love
  • aquavitae30
    Options
    So, my question about sodium is I average around 2000 a day, but I drink around 10 glasses of water a day or more and I am working out around 10 hours a week (and sweat like crazy). I had normal/low blood pressure 30 pounds ago, and I'm sure it's lower now. Is there a possibility on days where i work out for 2-3 hours, where my sodium would get too low? I know the "electrolyes" in sports drinks are mainly sodium.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I agree with TheMaid.

If you don't eat a lot of canned and frozen foods and eat whole foods and cook your own meals, keeping sodium isn't too hard. Also, buy things 'low in sodium' or 'no salt added' when you need to buy canned tuna and stuff.

Regarding frozen--all frozen foods are not created equal. True, there are many frozen entrees that are higher in sodium than is desirable, just as there are many that have too much fat...BUT, if you are a careful label reader, you can make choices that will still enable you to keep your sodium under control.

Another notable exception to the idea of "no frozen food" are frozen vegetables--NOT the ones that come "seasoned" or with their own chemically laden "sauces"--plain simple frozen veggies are usually just veggies without any added salt. Some say frozen veggies are actually better nutritionally than buying fresh at the grocery store, because the frozen ones are processed within a short time of being picked, as opposed to the "fresh" ones, which lose nutrients as they age in transit and in the produce bin.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I agree with TheMaid.

Regarding frozen--all frozen foods are not created equal. True, there are many frozen entrees that are higher in sodium than is desirable, just as there are many that have too much fat...BUT, if you are a careful label reader, you can make choices that will still enable you to keep your sodium under control.

Another notable exception to the idea of "no frozen food" are frozen vegetables--NOT the ones that come "seasoned" or with their own chemically laden "sauces"--plain simple frozen veggies are usually just veggies without any added salt. Some say frozen veggies are actually better nutritionally than buying fresh at the grocery store, because the frozen ones are processed within a short time of being picked, as opposed to the "fresh" ones, which lose nutrients as they age in transit and in the produce bin.

Guess I should clarify: When you eat 'clean' you can still eat frozen foods...just try to stick to as 'whole unprocessed' as possible...bag of frozen peas...should just be peas....no sauces added (make your own), popcicles and the like should be fruit juice only-no added sugars/fillers/preservitives.
    Just stick to as close to nature made as possible. Watch the sodium (see what kind it is), limit sugars (cut out HFCS), watch out for preservitives. If you can eliminate those you'll be eating much healthier food and your body will thank you for it.