Zombies, Run! anyone?

Options
Does anyone use the 5K app? I'm on my last day of week 7 today and I don't know if I'm being too hard on myself or not but I can't run (jog) for 10 minutes straight and it kind of bothers me. Also I just don't feel that I'll be ready to run a full 5K in two weeks as the app plans. Also, I'd love to hear about the transition to the regular app if anyone has done that. Basically any story or experience with the app(s). The story line is the best though :D This is the first running app I've actually stuck with and I can tell a huge difference in myself, it's an awesome feeling.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If it's your lungs holding you back, you might just be pushing too hard. Have you tried running slower? I seem to recall neeeding some extra weeks to get to running a full 5k. As tough as it is, at least this program tells you that it's ok to walk a bit if you need to. And there's no big jump at week 5 to a 20 minute run. C25K, I'm looking at you...

I love the app. I wanted the full version, too, but my phone doesn't support it.
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I actually started with the regular app, right around when it was released. I wasn't a runner by any means, but I had hoped the app would turn me into one. I wish they had the 5k app when I started though because I didn't stick with running with the regular app. There was no direction, you just go out and run. That's it. So, like usual, when running got too hard I quit.
    Fast forward about a year and a half, and I find out about the 5k app. I started doing it this spring, and never finished, but I loved it! It got me on the right track, and now I'm running 20+ miles a week (with the regular app.) I intend to go to back to the 5k one when I finish my half marathon in November. My mom started with it, and I am going to join her so we can run a 5k in December.
    As for a comparison, the regular story line is much more interesting. You get a good view of characters from the 5k app, but much more plot from the regular one. I can't remember too much of season one, but season two has so much going on.
    If you finish the 5k, but aren't ready for a 5k, I'd find another program online and run it while listening to Z,R! You're already a runner by completing the program, and a second story will probably keep you going through a second set of training.
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do a slow run/moderately paced jog for the most part. I definitely agree with you about C25K, I hated it and this one is way easier for beginners. I tell my friends who use C25K all the time to switch. I walk some on the free-form runs and kind of figure out my own interval there depending on how my body feels.
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I actually started with the regular app, right around when it was released. I wasn't a runner by any means, but I had hoped the app would turn me into one. I wish they had the 5k app when I started though because I didn't stick with running with the regular app. There was no direction, you just go out and run. That's it. So, like usual, when running got too hard I quit.
    Fast forward about a year and a half, and I find out about the 5k app. I started doing it this spring, and never finished, but I loved it! It got me on the right track, and now I'm running 20+ miles a week (with the regular app.) I intend to go to back to the 5k one when I finish my half marathon in November. My mom started with it, and I am going to join her so we can run a 5k in December.
    As for a comparison, the regular story line is much more interesting. You get a good view of characters from the 5k app, but much more plot from the regular one. I can't remember too much of season one, but season two has so much going on.
    If you finish the 5k, but aren't ready for a 5k, I'd find another program online and run it while listening to Z,R! You're already a runner by completing the program, and a second story will probably keep you going through a second set of training.

I looked around at some online plans to gradually get there. I don't think it was the Z,R! program that didn't work for me as much as I didn't work for it. I walked more than I wish I had on the free-form runs. I only regretted this at later weeks but life goes on haha. That's really cool that your mom's doing it as well (: I remember seeing the regular app a year or two ago but only toyed with the idea of getting it. I absolutely plan to get the full one after I can figure out how to continuously run a mile or two.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm doing couch to 10k alongside the regular app. Zombies keep me interested, C210K keeps me running. Occasionally I have to run for longer than I would be with C210Kbut hey - I can live with that.
    I do run much faster when being chased by zombies!!