Opinions on addictions and restarting?

Options
JamiesMummyX
JamiesMummyX Posts: 37 Member
Just wondered peoples opinions on addictions really, getting over it and restarting it again at some point.

Do you think it's possible to be addicted to something, get clean and at some point, go back to what you was addicted on without getting another addiction?

My parents, bless them, didn't have it easy. My sister had a gambling problem, my brother had a drug problem and myself had a big drinking problem for a long time. My sister now only occasionally gambles, my brother was smoking weed but has cut down/nearly stopped again (he goes back and forth between things) now he's due to have a baby in Jan. My sister copes quite easy, my brother not so much.

And for now, I'm still sober. I expect I will be for some time still.

I just want to know if anyone has had experience of getting over the addiction (of anything, food, shopping, exercising) and managed at some point in there life to have a 'normal' relationship with it?

Replies

• JamiesMummyX
    Options
    there is no such thing as addiction

the end.

Well aren't you just a gigantic ball of ignorance. If you've nothing to reply, why bother?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that an addict may give up one addiction, but they will generally turn towards another addiction if they don't address and get treatment for whatever the underlying issue is that caused them to be come an addict in the first place.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

the end.

Woah, please ignore that comment OP. And thank you for opening your heart.

Second, I applaud you for facing your addiction head on. I hope you have the same pride that I feel for you right now.

Third, unfortunately once an addict always an addict. Not that we cant manage our addiction, but you must always be mindful of your addictive nature. You must know that when life becomes difficult and all you want to do is numb the hurt and pain you need to seek help at those times and be around people who will help you through the rough spots.

You have won the battle with the demon. It's voice isnt as loud. You can live a happy and fulfilled life. I am so proud of you.

And yes we can have normal lives, but like any disease it has to be respected and managed. My brother chose cocaine and I chose food I think it about two years we've gone from our lowest depths to a new high in our lives (and hopefully it continues to grow). It's never easy, but you've come so far.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

the end.

Well aren't you just a gigantic ball of ignorance. If you've nothing to reply, why bother?
    I'm a psychologist, therefore, I do have quite a bit of knowledge in this area. I'm sorry you are a drug or alcohol user and you need justifications for your own lack of self control.

It's called WILL. if you have it then nothing can control you.

If youre a psychologist than I'm a Einstein
  • JamiesMummyX
    Options
    Brittinham, I do agree with you actually.

And thank you idrosphila, I plan to ignore him and his ignorance, there is always someone who is going to be negative though, right?

I am proud of myself, but it's like losing my best friend so to speak, and someday I hope we can meet again, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be strong enough. I read so many stories and hear people who can go maybe 10/20 years without there addiction but just one try of it again and they're gone. I miss alcohol, but I value my life and my family more. (I've a 3 year old boy, who needs me to see him grow up and remember it).

It's hard because both some of my best and worst memories have been around alcohol too. I don't need it, or want it enough right now, and hopefully never will. But I'm curious as to peoples experiences with different addictions.

Thank you for your lovely reply. X
  • ldrosophila
    Options

And thank you idrosphila, I plan to ignore him and his ignorance, there is always someone who is going to be negative though, right?

I am proud of myself, but it's like losing my best friend so to speak, and someday I hope we can meet again, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be strong enough. I read so many stories and hear people who can go maybe 10/20 years without there addiction but just one try of it again and they're gone. I miss alcohol, but I value my life and my family more. (I've a 3 year old boy, who needs me to see him grow up and remember it).

It's hard because both some of my best and worst memories have been around alcohol too. I don't need it, or want it enough right now, and hopefully never will. But I'm curious as to peoples experiences with different addictions.

It is losing a best friend...those are my exact thoughts! I remember crying one night I was so depressed and all I wanted to do was binge, but I couldnt I had to "kill my best friend" and I felt like I had nothing to fall back on. It was scary. I'm not perfect either I've lost so many battles it's really stalled my progress.

The old demon Mr. Addiction can rear his ugly head anytime. I read a recent story and for the life of me I cant remember which celebrity, but he had been sober for years. He decided to buy just a small little bottle of vodka (or gin) and he said before he knew it he was back to two years of regression.

Just keep up the long hard battle you are a success!
  • JamiesMummyX
    Options

I love cheese.........I want to eat cheese with everything. I love every type of cheese........I don't want to give up cheese. But if I benefit from it I will give it up.

Simpler than we like to think it is because we don't like to stop something we enjoy.

The mind may not want to drink, but if the body does, your screwed. Going through withdrawals is such a draining experience, I'm not denying alot of it IS down to willpower, but there are so many mental and physical attractions to an addiction, that some times you don't get the choice to just stop, as you may think. Many of times I've decided to stop but before I know it, a drink is my mouth and my whole world seems so much clearer after I've got what my body feels it needs.

Occasionally it's similar to a black out, you just don't realise what you're doing until it's done.

Congratulations on living such a purposeful life with your cheese but don't belittle people and say this and that is in your head, because you decide it isn't. There is alot more than meets the eye and if you've done courses and such you should know this. Many people grow to hate their addictions so it isn't always about loving it.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options

the end.

I come from a family of addiction although i myself have never had the same issues. My brother and my mother are both alcoholics. they are both recovering, 1 for 4 yrs and the other for 6 mos, both after 10+ yrs of active addiction. It very much exists. To think that it doesnt shows pure ignorance. I do not think a person could ever go back to their addiction in moderation. Addiction stems from your brains inablility to differentiate healthy from non healthy behaviors. Plain and simple, some people have addictive personalities and some dont. If you do, it is a constant struggle your entire life to not become addicted to one thing or another. You may beat your unhealthy addictions but you wthout active treatment you will turn that behavior somewhere else....be it to fitness & health or another "bad" addiction. I would highly advise staying away from whatever your addiction may be. period. stay away. recovering alcoholics oftten put it this way, they feel they are allergic to alcohol. their brains do not process the act/feelings associated with it properly and it makes them ill both physically and mentally.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    The answer is unique to each individual. I believe the term "addiction' is thrown around loosely to excuse certain behaviors and is not true addiction. However, many people misunderstand the true meaning of the term and everything that comes with it. (the word itself can start a firestorm) The severity of true addiction is unique to the individual, which is why some people cannot ever touch the stuff for the rest of their lives. On the other hand, there are many people who learn different coping mechanisms and are able to enjoy one or two and not have it become a major problem as it had been in the past. It really depends on the severity of the addiction and the approach to treatment. The answer is unique to the individual because of the intricate details of a person and their addiction. (which is outside the scope of this forum)
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Congratulations on living such a purposeful life with your cheese

I'm sorry but this is about the funniest thing I've read today! :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Ugh if I have to see the word willpower one more time...I'm gonna rip a face off.

Yeah lets us an abstract term and concept to deal with on often genetic and neurochemical disease.

That's like saying you just need faith to heal your cancer.

Oy vey!