What contributed to your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    1. Accuracy: Logging my food everyday on MFP and using a food scale to calculate my intake and using a Bodymedia Fit to calculate my TDEE.
    2. Flexibilty: Incorporating foods I love everyday, after meeting my macro/micro/fiber goals. Never depriving myself and never demonizing any foods. IIFYM rocks!
    3. Cardio: Staying active, finding a cardio exercise that I love. Kickboxing.
    4. Weight training.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    moving heavy things that didn't move themselves and calorie restriction...

PERIOD.

x2

I cut out soda, gave up carbs, and whatever other fads are out there. Nothing helped until I reigned in my eating, started eating at a true deficit (get a food scale to be sure), and lifting heavy.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    For me personally it was The realisation that I am the ONLY one with the power to change things, by taking control of my life instead of just letting things remain the way they were! this is what motivates me to try harder every day.

I think this whole process is equal parts a mental change as it is a physical change, if we only change our physical appearance we will eventually fall back into the same pattern we were in before, by understanding how we got there in the first place and accepting challenges, faults and realisations along the way I believe we will be more likely to succeed in getting the weight off and more importantly keeping it off,

~charlie
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I bought an exercise bike ( cheapy one) stopped stuffing sugary things daily ..cycled 15 miles a day for 3 months and the belly started to shift, slowly but surely

Now I am trying to get rid of the rest using exercise , weights ( heavy ish) and a calorie deficit coupled with closely monitored nutrition
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    moving heavy things that didn't move themselves and calorie restriction...

PERIOD.

x2

I cut out soda, gave up carbs, and whatever other fads are out there. Nothing helped until I reigned in my eating, started eating at a true deficit (get a food scale to be sure), and lifting heavy.

All of the above too, except I didn't try fad diets. I usually tried stupid energy pills.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Don't give up carbs, don't give up anything. It's fine to reduce the refined carbs if that is what you want to do but all that really counts is calories in versus calories out. I found walking good as I enjoy it and it's my time to zone out watching the ocean while burning some calories so I can eat more. No need to drink tons of water either, that is an old myth. Of course have some but you do get it from your foods and other drinks too so don't go worrying too much. If it helps though drink it more but no need to drink tons of water because you are hungry. You shouldn't be hungry anyhow while losing weight in the first place if you are eating the right amount of calories for you. DON'T starve yourself for this. You will only end up fat again later on.
  • alterone1982
    alterone1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of taking a picture to remember portion sizes!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise!! Cardio, strength, balance and flexibility exercises. Calories burning (and thus, earning) exercise. For me, it is the proverbial magic potion for weight loss.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Exercise, drinking A LOT of water (2-3 quarts per day), cutting out milk & cheese (thanks, milk allergy!), and cutting WAY back on soda (if I have more than 12 oz of Coke in a month, I've had a lot).
  • rickcote13
    Options
    Well Stated... Agree 1,000,000 percent... less chemicals = way better...
    Nutrition is about 80% of what your results are going to be. You'll find a lot of people here on MFP saying "calories in, calories out". But if you think about it, that is SO UNTRUE!!! 1400 calories of good, whole, REAL food is completely different than 1400 calories of junk like pre-made food, processed food, soda/pop, etc. Just focus on eating clean food; that's a good place to start.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I joined 35 days ago and lost a couple of kg. Decided to celebrate, with friends over a meal out and a few drinks...then weighed myself today, and I weigh more now then when I first joined...Ooops!
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Counting calories, eating clean (high protein, low fat...abs are made in the kitchen after all), and working out even when I don't feel like it.
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast has been the huge change for me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is about 80% of what your results are going to be. You'll find a lot of people here on MFP saying "calories in, calories out". But if you think about it, that is SO UNTRUE!!! 1400 calories of good, whole, REAL food is completely different than 1400 calories of junk like pre-made food, processed food, soda/pop, etc. Just focus on eating clean food; that's a good place to start.

Most people who talk about calories in/calories out eat primarily nutrient dense foods...they just don't deprive themselves if they want a little ice cream or something after they've met their nutritional requirements and they have calories remaining that they can use. You don't get extra credit for additional nutrients once those requirements have been met.

A calorie is simply a unit of energy...it has nothing to do with nutrition...in that RE, a calorie is a calorie. Also moderation trumps deprivation for sustainability...always.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Most people who talk about calories in/calories out eat primarily nutrient dense foods...they just don't deprive themselves if they want a little ice cream or something after they've met their nutritional requirements and they have calories remaining that they can use. You don't get extra credit for additional nutrients once those requirements have been met.

A calorie is simply a unit of energy...it has nothing to do with nutrition...in that RE, a calorie is a calorie. Also moderation trumps deprivation for sustainability...always.
    So true! I could never sustain a 100% clean diet, whatever the definition of that is. I'd be miserable and back at 300 lbs before next summer.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    1. Logging all of my food every single day.
    2. Eating at a calorie deficit.
    3 . Incorporating all of my favorite foods, nothing is forbidden if I can fit it into my daily calories.
    4. Not beating myself up if I over eat.
    5. Mini goals
    6. Taking a more relaxed approach this time.
    7. Having a "cheat" day about once a month.
    8 Exercising more.
    9. Never ever giving up.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    logging, water, working out! (me personally Beachbody! my first program was Power 90 and I used soup cans)
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    being realistic in goal setting. I know try to lose 1 pound every week not more than that, because at some point I overdid my exercise and had all leg pain and eventually had to stop. I drink lots of water, take stairs when I can.
    Also it is important to realize where is your weak point, mine is dinner and late night snacking. Having realized that, I try to eat less for breakfast and lunch, so I can enjoy a bigger dinner or dessert here and there.
    At the end of the day one step at a time can lead to a life style change, but changing everything at once is not gonna work for everyone.
  • t111dmb
    Options
    Hi, I weighed out my food and restricted my calorie intake to 1200 calories a day . Do you really know what 30 g of brekfast cereal looks like?? I didn't until I started weighing out my foods. A chore some say but since 26th July till now I have nearly lost 2stone, 28 lbs. something must be working.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!