I ALWAYS give in. Need help and some buddies!

I have been overweight for 40 years. It started when I married my second husband...as I believe I knew in my heart I had made a big mistake...so I overate...to compensate, if that makes any sense. We have been divorced for 20 years (yes..I'm still single), and I'm still over eating. Why? All I do know is that I am just fine....up until all my quota is gone...and I get hungry...and i ALWAYS give in. This usually happens in the evening, as I'm also a snacker. Sometimes I think that I maybe addicted to sugar...and possiby have parasites that live off of sugar, because when I eat real well...salads, chicken vegetable soup etc....my body starts screaming..."I WANT SUGAR. GIVE ME AN OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIE RIGHT NOW, OR I'M GOING TO THROW THE BIGGEST FIT YOU EVER SAW"...and I say "OK"...because for one thing I'm not feeling right, but when I eat a couple cookies...I immediately feel so good...like I've just...had a fix. Next day...same thing...and on and on it goes. I am sooo frustrated, but somehow I still try...even thought this has been going on for years.

I finally decided that I just can't do it on 1200 calories, so to compensate...I FORCED myself to walk on my treadmill for 60 min. That gave me 300 extra calories. Can I make it through the day now? God, I hope so.

I'm almost 71 yrs old, so have been overweight over half my life. It would sure be nice if I could live the rest of my years at a decent weight.

I need some buddies. Anyone willing to take me on? I promise I will be there for you too.

Kaowdo

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    MFP puts nearly everyone on the 1200 calorie diet, and for most people, it's not sustainable! There are other methods out there, and you can customize your numbers and macro-nutrient goals yourself. I'd suggest maybe you try that?

There are a lot of groups out there, but IPOARM is a great place to get started. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people in it. The method is TDEE - 10 to 20%, eating above BMR. You don't track your exercise calories because it's already included in your TDEE estimations. Most people in the group believe in IIFYM (if it fits your macros) for their food intake.

More information is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Check it out!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Something that really helped me: go to an OA (overeaters anonymous) meeting.

Most of us do not get overweight by eating for hunger based on nutritional needs - we often mistake emotional or other kinds of needs as hunger, and go try to fill up something inside with food.

If you have a need, a hurt, emptiness, fear, or something smiliar that drives your eating, you physically cannot exercise enough to compensate for the amount of comfort you get from food. Exercise is great, but it can't compensate for unmet needs.

Get to an OA or some other kind of recovery group. Try it for at least 4-5 visits before you make up your mind.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    food is always there for you.

it never neglects you- calls you names- it never abandons you. It's there for you ALWAYS.

you may not like that you have an abusive relationship- but's always there.

You can do it- you left a marriage- it wasn't healthy- so now it's time to address food and come to a healthy relationship.

So what if you're body throws a tantrum? let it. Have at it- see what happens. When was the last time you said "NO" to your body? try it- fight it. You're body is running you're life. Stop letting it- you're the one with the evolved brain!!! :)
    you k'in do it!!!