Silly question?!?!?! But slightly confused...

warrior5923
warrior5923 Posts: 6
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
ok....it says you should drink 8 "cups" of water.....does that mean 8 measuring cups? I've been drinking 8 of the 9 ounce bottles of water a day...is that way too much or what i'm supposed to be doing? How many ounces are in one "cup" of water? A measuring "cup" of water seems so tiny!

Replies

• lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    The site suggests 8 8oz. cups of water a day. I drink nothing but water or tea so I drink 10-15 8oz glasses a day! It has helped keep my weight progress going and it helps flush out any excess sodium I take in.

Hope that helps.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    1 cup = 8 fl oz
  • clptak
    clptak Posts: 8
    8 oz. So, 64 oz a day, which is a half gallon. Tea, coffee and water all count.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Tea counts as water?? If so ... that's the best thing I've heard! I get bored with plain water... even flavored water. :(
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    REMEMBER: The 8 cups should be a min. amount. If you are exercising you need to drink more than 8.
  • tjbeer
    tjbeer Posts: 90 Member

Is this true....tea counts as water too?? If so thats ace.

Thanks Tx
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

I don't count coffee as caffeine dehydrates you. From my understanding for every coffee you drink you need to add an additional glass of water so if you had 2 coffees you now need 10 cups of water.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member

Thanks Tx

That's debatable...depends on who you ask. I personally don't count it.

As for how much to drink, there's tons of threads on here about this. It varies given your activity level, weight, environment (like right now its hot as h3ll here!)...

On a normal day I have about 100oz while at work...gym days bring me up to around 150oz at least. Generally I think most people here consider the 64oz as a starting point.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Former Weight Watcher's member here and from what I was always told by them and by my trainer if it has caffeine it does not count as water.
    64oz is minimum but half your body weight in oz is best!!
  • so....there is a difference between a measuring cup and what the site means when they say "a cup" of water?!?!?!
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member

Not as simple as it seems. Coffee and tea that have caffeine in them do not count as water. The caffeine is dehydrating, so drinking a cup of coffee or tea ends up a zero sum game as far as fluids go.

Decaf or herbal teas might count as water to some people, as would drinks like Crystal Light, since they are only flavored water.

I was always taught that only plain water is really water, but that's me. Water with a slice of lemon or orange or lime would still count as water to me, even though it's flavored water. If I threw a packet of sweetener in there, I would not (personally) count it as water because then it would be a fruity drink. And if coffee or tea counted as water, I wouldn't catch so much flak about my caffeine-free diet Coke because, dude, that's seriously just flavored water.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    so....there is a difference between a measuring cup and what the site means when they say "a cup" of water?!?!?!

1 cup is 8 ounces. 1 measuring cup is 8 ounces. 1 cup of water 8 ounces.

1 measuring cup technically is really for dry measuring if you want to get picky, since there are differences in measuring dry and wet amounts. That's why you get the fun pitcher looking pyrex measuring cups for fluid. But I don't think you want to get that in detail. :)

Plus, really you want to just skim by on how much water you drink?
  • holy cow...i feel like a moron....but i actually took a measuring cup and pour it into an 8 oz water bottle and guess what happened???!!? It filled the dang water bottle up.... ok, i feel silly, but heck just looking at a little measuring cup it just didnt seem to me it held 8oz of water! Learn something everyday...thanx for the help!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    holy cow...i feel like a moron....but i actually took a measuring cup and pour it into an 8 oz water bottle and guess what happened???!!? It filled the dang water bottle up.... ok, i feel silly, but heck just looking at a little measuring cup it just didnt seem to me it held 8oz of water! Learn something everyday...thanx for the help!

lol I did this too back when I first started drinking water (years before this journey)
    Don't feel bad. It's like the kids arguing over the short fat glass and the tall skinny glass :P
    I have a 32oz mug I fill up 4-5 times a day. I just wonder about the ice...do i get less water than I think? or does the melted ice make up the difference? lol
This discussion has been closed.