Not sure how to log this...

Options
....and I apologize if it's already been covered in a previous post, but I'm making a homemade soup for dinner tonight. It's Cabbage, Carrot and Potato. Everything in it is from my garden, except for the chicken bouillion cubes. How do I go about logging it in my diary?

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    There's a spot to add an entire recipe (enter everything you put in the soup) and then you can add the number of servings you have to your diary.
  • nessaj
    nessaj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I log each thing individually. If you're making it for 4 then weigh everything and divide it by 4 and then enter it into the food diary. It takes a while to do it but its worth it.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    There may be an easier way of doing this, but here is my recommendation.

Go to sparkrecipes.com and click the "Use Our Free Recipe Calculator" button. As long as you know roughly how much of each ingredient you used, and how much of it you are eating in one serving, you can then get a calorie amount for a serving. MFP lets you add custom meals so you can put in "My Cabbage, Carrot, and Potato Soup" and the nutritional info from sparkrecipes.com.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    There's a spot to add an entire recipe (enter everything you put in the soup) and then you can add the number of servings you have to your diary.

Wow, I just saw this. Must be somewhat new? I don't remember seeing it a couple months ago.
  • barbsnook
    Options
    try vegetarian veggie. The Amazing Soup Diet recipe, which also has beans, spinach & zucchini, for 1 cup is 45 cals, 2 g protein,9 carbs,1 g fat (sat) 4 g fiber, o cholesterol & 410 sodium
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Great info, ladies! Thanks very much :smile:
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Go to My Recipes under your food section and input the ingredients. (You don't have to add the cooking instructions) The recipe calculator will portion out the nutritional info per serving for you.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    try vegetarian veggie. The Amazing Soup Diet recipe, which also has beans, spinach & zucchini, for 1 cup is 45 cals, 2 g protein,9 carbs,1 g fat (sat) 4 g fiber, o cholesterol & 410 sodium

Ooh, Barb, sounds good...we've got zucchini coming out of our eyeballs and I'm always looking for new ways to use it. Thanks!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's new and I love it!
    The recipe loader thingy - forgot to quote. ha
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I use this website for my own recipes or recipes that don't have nutrition info. Then I create a new food in mfp.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Sounds tasty but the boullion cubes are probably high in sodium. The soup sounds very healthy. If you want a really good chili recipe I got one from a eating plan I was on for Turkey chili. It sounds weird but its the best chili and my husband can't get enough and you can still lose weight when eating it. :smile:
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Sounds tasty but the boullion cubes are probably high in sodium.

Sodium is important to the body too. I know a lot of people are concerned with the amount they get, which is not a bad thing. I just wanted to remind that its a necessary thing for the body. I live in the desert and thus sweat a lot and when I had all the usual are you healthy blood work done, my doctor actually told me to add some to my diet as mine is low.