DO YOU?????????

Options

Replies

• Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You need to do what works best for you. If eating before your morning workout makes you feel sick, then the simple answer is not to eat before your workout.

If you feel like you might faint while working out because you don't have any fuel in your body, then you'll need to eat something. The majority of people that I know that workout early in the AM either don't eat anything or have something relatively small like a banana or protein bar prior to their workout and then have a bigger breakfast after.

Personally (and I workout in the AM 4-5 times a week), I do not eat anything before, but that is primarily because I take iron supplements and avoid anything containing calcium for 2 hours after taking them (I am not going to debate this with anyone, so please don't even bother if you disagree). The easiest way to do that is just not to eat anything. It works for me!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I would eat something, a boiled egg, granola bar or some fruit . . . because my body was telling me I needed that. Now since I also get up very early, 4:45 I just have water or the occasional cup of coffee. If you feel hungry try and eat something otherwise you will be struggling through your workout and probably not liking it!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Fasted workouts FTW.
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It’s only your own personal preference… “caveat emptor”. I work out at 5:00 AM with no food, except coffee @ 4:45 and then I consume and feel great!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If I was waking up so early, I'd work out before eating, because I'm not hungry then and I can't exercise just after eating.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    snack size breakfast prior to and coffee is a non-negotiable.....
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The days that I workout early (after i drop off my kids ) around 8.45 am... Ill usually chew some gum and brink a big cold:wink: water bottle with me. I hate working out on a full stomach.

I prefer to eat after. :flowerforyou:
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I workout and then eat breakfast or have a protein shake later. I don't like to eat before I exercise.
  • cjohn2278
    cjohn2278 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat before my 5 am workouts for the first few weeks...but then I started to not be able to work out as hard as I would like so I have a protien shake as I leave the house the breakfast when I get home.
  • Aminah3052
    Aminah3052 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat first only because i hate eating when i wake up. I will actually STAY in bed at the "threat" of breakfast, whereas the only sure way to get my husband to wake up when he's sleepy is to lure him with food :p
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I personally eat after I work out, but it really is up to you. I like eating after my workout so there is less time between breakfast and lunch!

I know their are studies saying all sorts of things about when you should/shouldn't eat, but I say do what works for you to start off with :) Good luck with the early workouts!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the day. Sometimes I wake up kind of hungry so I'll eat before, sometimes I'm not hungry, so I wait and have a bit of a bigger lunch.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I *just* started working out in the morning and I get up and do my workout first thing. I can't workout with a fully stomach without getting a little sick to my tummy during my workout.
  • Michelle_MyBelle
    Michelle_MyBelle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat after. I'd be super hungry if I ate first. :)
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I always wait at least two hours after eating before I go to the gym - but I'm an evening person because I'm with the baby all day...just drink water and have a slice of toast (or a piece of fruit) so you're not running on empty.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was wondering because I am about to start working out at about 5:30am. if you are a morning workout person, do you eat breakfast first or do you work out first?

I'm at the gym between 4:30 and 5:00 every morning. I don't eat breakfast prior to my workouts because it makes me feel nauseated.

I eat my first meal at about 7:00 a.m.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Experiment and see what works for you. I used to read online all the time that eating before yoga makes you sick. Then I had a really terrible vertigo episode at yoga, and my instructor thought part of the reason, in addition to be being sick with a virus, was because I hadn't eaten. Before the next morning class, I had a small snack, and felt absolutely fine! Now I always eat something small before my morning yoga classes, usually a smoothie with banana, peanut butter, and almond milk or a bowl of whole grain cereal with a banana and almond milk.
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    JUST coffee with milk and truvia for me. With exception to Sunday, my long-run day, a 1/2 protein bar or a piece of toast.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Coffee first, but that's it. I can't eat anything that early. I never was a breakfast person though.
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    I'm usually not in the gym or out walking until 930a but yet I'm up by 6am getting the kiddos ready for school. If I were able to go straight to the gym after waking up then I probably wouldn't need to eat before but being up several hours before actually hitting the gym is the reason why I eat breakfast and if I don't I will feel very weak because I'm hypoglycemic. I've tried working out on a empty stomach and came close to fainting on several occasions. I at least have to eat a banana or yogurt before, nothing huge.