Question regarding weights...

Options
So I was wondering, do you burn fat faster by lifting weights or it's better if you do cardio instead and wait to have lost the fat then start lifting weights?

Thank you guys for the tips! :smile:

Replies

• Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am not an expert, but from everything I have read from reputable sources.

Cardio work (in general) burns more calories, but the weight you lose will come from both muscle and fat.
    The more muscle you have the more calories you burn - so building muscle or maintaining existing muscle is required to keep burning calories or increase the amount of calories your body can burn (ie maintaining or increasing your metabolism).

So if someone just did cardio (and ate at a deficit), they can lose weight, but they will be decreasing their lean muscle all the time, so their metabolism will become slower and slower, making it harder to burn calories (you will have to do more cardio and you will have to work harder in the cardio).

If you lift weights you can help your body to maintain the lean muscle so negate the muscle loss effect of cardio and eating at a deficit. If you lift weights and eat enough protein you can increase your lean muscle mass. Both of these increase your metabolism.
  • MsSophySticated
    MsSophySticated Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am not an expert, but from everything I have read from reputable sources.

Cardio work (in general) burns more calories, but the weight you lose will come from both muscle and fat.
    The more muscle you have the more calories you burn - so building muscle or maintaining existing muscle is required to keep burning calories or increase the amount of calories your body can burn (ie maintaining or increasing your metabolism).

So if someone just did cardio (and ate at a deficit), they can lose weight, but they will be decreasing their lean muscle all the time, so their metabolism will become slower and slower, making it harder to burn calories (you will have to do more cardio and you will have to work harder in the cardio).

If you lift weights you can help your body to maintain the lean muscle so negate the muscle loss effect of cardio and eating at a deficit. If you lift weights and eat enough protein you can increase your lean muscle mass. Both of these increase your metabolism.

So by what I read it's better if I eat protein and lift weights more than doing just cardio, right?

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Weights help preserve your muscles, so you don't end up all flabby from your weight loss. Plus muscle burns more calories than fat. But for the time spent, cardio will burn more calories.
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    Weights help preserve your muscles, so you don't end up all flabby from your weight loss. Plus muscle burns more calories than fat. But for the time spent, cardio will burn more calories.

What would you suggest? I don't know what to pick :frown:
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Lift! Lift ALL the weights! I've been lifting for five months now and my body has changed more in that time than it did in YEARS of doing strictly cardio!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You can achieve caloric deficit by simply eating less. If you can pick only one activity, strength training is probably the best bang for the buck.
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    Thank you guys! :happy:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

What would you suggest? I don't know what to pick :frown:

Some of each would probably be ideal, if you enjoy both and have a fair amount of weight to lose. Do the exercises that you enjoy, but try new stuff.

btw, lifting heavy weights can be fun and make you feel really powerful! :wink:
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    It is best to incorporate both in to the same workout. Cardio is best for warming up your muscles at the start of a workout and regulating your temperature drop at the end. Weights in the middle will make you strong and lean. Do both. For an even better workout, incorporate some cardio strength moves. You can generally do this by faster movements and a wider range of movement. Just remember to keep your form and don't 'swing' the weights
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    Sounds great, ladies! Thank you both :happy:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Both!

That said, I lose weight great with just weight training and yoga (did it a few years ago). It just took a long time. Definitely add weight training if you can for the sexy muscle benefits, though. It's amazing!
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    Both!

That said, I lose weight great with just weight training and yoga (did it a few years ago). It just took a long time. Definitely add weight training if you can for the sexy muscle benefits, though. It's amazing!

At the moment I'm doing lots of cardio and some exercises without weights and I do see a little bit of results though I'm sure I could get more. That's why I felt like asking you guys :smile: I agree with what you're saying, cannot wait to try it out! Thank you all!!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You burn more fat via a healthy calorie deficit than anything, including exercise. Past that, find some exercise that you enjoy that helps you accomplish your fitness goals and don't worry about calorie burn.
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    You burn more fat via a healthy calorie deficit than anything, including exercise. Past that, find some exercise that you enjoy that helps you accomplish your fitness goals and don't worry about calorie burn.

Well I want to get rid of the fat and replace it with some muscles but I was wondering if I had to wait until I get slim to lift weights or I'll burn the fat by lifting weights already. :smile:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    don't wait to start lifting until you lose some weight!! Start lifting YESTERDAY.

the left is me about 3 years ago. I was between 188 and 199lbs. I wore a size 16/18 pants, and a 42DD bra. The right is me like 6 weeks ago. About 193 lbs, size 12/14 pants, 38C bra, SAME SHIRT

10035269906_47277afec6.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I do various weights, under the guidance of a trainer, 2-3 times a week, and cardio 2-3 times a week ( I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. The last 6 weeks or so I have been doing 3 strength/2 cardio days). I have been hitting both super hard for 6+ months. I have been a regular fixture at the gym for almost 2 years.
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    don't wait to start lifting until you lose some weight!! Start lifting YESTERDAY.

the left is me about 3 years ago. I was between 188 and 199lbs. I wore a size 16/18 pants, and a 42DD bra. The right is me like 6 weeks ago. About 193 lbs, size 12/14 pants, 38C bra, SAME SHIRT

10035269906_47277afec6.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I do various weights, under the guidance of a trainer, 2-3 times a week, and cardio 2-3 times a week ( I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. The last 6 weeks or so I have been doing 3 strength/2 cardio days). I have been hitting both super hard for 6+ months. I have been a regular fixture at the gym for almost 2 years.

Very impressive! Keep up the amazing work, you're on the right track! :happy: I will for sure listen to you guys and start lifting weight and keeping my cardio workouts as well :smile:!

Thank you all once again :heart:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    LIFT NOW Your body will thank you and you will look amazing!!!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I do a cocktail of both cardio and weights. I do weights with a little bit of warm-up cardio three days a week and then I jog for about an hour, two days a week ( I also try to keep my diet nutritious and my logging accurate) and rest for two days. Though the scale weight might not go as fast, the changes in my body since I recommitted myself to weight loss in the last 8 weeks have been great due to lifting heavy weights. Weights definitely contribute to the what-you-see-in-the-mirror factor as opposed to cardio's slower approach (though cardio is better at getting your scale weight lower because you can burn both fat and muscle).

All best to you!
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    Thank you so much, Ladies! I totally agree and am not looking at the scale so much but on my body changes instead :smile: I'd rather see results on me than on the scale (nobody can see the numbers but you).
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you include weights with adequate protein intake, you will end up with a more favorable body composition compared to if you don't because of greater retention of lean mass. Another benefit of retaining or increasing lean mass is from an aesthetic standpoint in that lean muscle provides shape to the body. Simply put, you will likely be more satisfied with how your body looks.

Additionally, it takes a much longer time for women to increase lean mass than men - at best 1 lb per month. Let's say you do not lift and you lose 6 lbs of lean mass to reach goal weight. You would then have to assume a calorie surplus for 7 to 8 months just to recover the lean mass lost and diet again to reduce fat mass gained during the surplus. Thus, you will have to spend a significant amount of extra time correcting body composition.