Want to start lifting but where to start?!

Options
33Freya
33Freya Posts: 468 Member
I can graze on the machines at the gym, I know how to do that much. Otherwise I have mainly been doing cardio- mostly running.
With 30+ lbs to lose, I know I need to lift as well to build my metabolism as I "eat clean" and create a calorie deficit to get into the right shape.

Anyone got online references or starter programs akin to C25K that I can look at to create my own? Beach body programs are a little too intense for me just yet... Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    hey!!
    I just started following the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" there's even an MFP group (others as well)
    I totally recommend it! I also want to lose 30 lbs and definitely get stronger and leaner. Check the book out, and or the group, it's super motivating!
    good luck!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting I googled a lot of videos and watched about form and reps. Learned on my own! Spend some time doing a little research and then just do it!
  • CindyArlene
    CindyArlene Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    If you have an android phone / tablet you can also check the app store for workout programs. I found a free one with video's showing all the moves. Its just body weight exercise and hand weights so its easy to do at home. I haven't started using it but it looks really nice and more importantly for me easy to use!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinymission.dailyworkoutsfree&hl=en
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I second the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I just started phase 2 and am loving it!!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    The place to start is at the gym. Go and work out now. Learn as you go. Genereally speaking you wont be doing the higher risk movements as a beginner. Go to the gym and work out. Watch videos and get books. But go to the gym first, do not wait.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've just started lifting, and wish I'd done it much sooner.

The best advice I can give is my 5 point plan:

1. Start picking heavy things up.
    2. Keep picking heavy things up.
    3. When you get a rack and weights, learn form. It is better to do 3 reps at perfect form than 10 at poor form.
    4. Keep picking heavy things up.
    5. Erm... that's it. Good luck!
  • Teele86
    Teele86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Get a personal training session at the gym, tell the trainer exactly what you would like to learn and what direction you would like to go in. ALso ive found magazines like fitness fx and Oxygen to be useful in racking up different circuits. I then use an app to create workouts on my phone so I dont need to carry the mag around with me.
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I second the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I just started phase 2 and am loving it!!

Thirded- and I've just started stage 2 also. Even after just one stage, I've noticed a difference in strength already. It's fairly simple to follow with recommended exercises, sets and reps, but you set your own weights and increase as you move through the stage, as you see fit and are capable of. If you do some research on the forums, there are a couple of other programs too. Good luck!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Check out Strong Lifts 5X5... I found NROLFW a little overwhelming for a new lifter. SL 5X5 is straightforward.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Check out Strong Lifts 5X5... I found NROLFW a little overwhelming for a new lifter. SL 5X5 is straightforward.

I agree. Or check out the book Starting Strength.
  • macks17
    macks17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd start with compound exercises where you work the major muscle groups ie Back, chest and legs, all the other muscle groups will take care of themselves. I started weight about a year ago and all I was really doing was the below, mixing up the different body parts.

Warm-up (run outside for 5 minutes or so)
    Squats (legs)
    Lunges (Legs)
    Bench press (Chest)
    Barbell fly's (chest)
    Bent over row (back)
    Lat pull-down(back)

I'd highly recommend getting a personal trainer to help giude you to your goals and make sure your form is correct through the workouts.
    You don't necessarily need to use very heavy weight, just make sure you fail at around 10-12 reps, i was only doing 2 sets of these.

A great resource for workouts is: http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Best thing is to just start and give it a go
  • HolyHarris
    HolyHarris Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It all depends in what you want to do. If you want a good basis a good place to start could be Scoobys workshop. Just go to the main page and look down the sidebar for womens workout plans. His workouts have worked great for me
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is great. I just hired a trainer to teach me stage 1 and I start Tuesday with her. So excited! I'll see her twice at the start of each new set (every six or seven weeks) to learn proper form.

Happy to buddy up with other newbies to NROL4W.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5. NROLFW was overwhelming for me when I started. With Stronglifts, I only have to focus on 5 lifts, which gave me more time to work on form. I made my own spreadsheet and I take notes on form techniques from youtube videos.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    NROL4W is a good one but I prefer stronglifts 5x5 for its simplicity. Go to stronglifts.com, to get some info, but there are 3 workouts that you alternate each session. There is also a group here for women. Look through youtube videos on good form, the stronglifts guy also has a video for his workouts on youtube. I'm just starting. Good luck
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5. NROLFW was overwhelming for me when I started. With Stronglifts, I only have to focus on 5 lifts, which gave me more time to work on form. I made my own spreadsheet and I take notes on form techniques from youtube videos.

Another vote for SL here. Very simple for someone new to lifting.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The only lifting I do is walking home with my 10kg grocery shopping, two-four times a week. A good 20min walk whilst pumping my arms. I have a sore left shoulder at the mo, but I think thats from doing 5x15 girly press ups against the wall three times a week.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Another vote for SL here. Very simple for someone new to lifting.

I agree. Stronglifts 5x5 is great.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Thirded- and I've just started stage 2 also. Even after just one stage, I've noticed a difference in strength already. It's fairly simple to follow with recommended exercises, sets and reps, but you set your own weights and increase as you move through the stage, as you see fit and are capable of. If you do some research on the forums, there are a couple of other programs too. Good luck!

I am going to look more into this book. I think after reading the diet ideas, I stopped (lots of meat and i'm a veg) dumb reason to but I just figured it wouldn't work for me. I'm going to look at just the lifting recommendations and go from there. Thanks ladies who mentioned it!
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I am going to look more into this book. I think after reading the diet ideas, I stopped (lots of meat and i'm a veg) dumb reason to but I just figured it wouldn't work for me. I'm going to look at just the lifting recommendations and go from there. Thanks ladies who mentioned it!

You don't necessarily need to follow their meal plans in the book, really you can stick with your TDEE or method of calorie guise you're following.