Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why is there so much home schooling?

Replies

• Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    US schools now can make medical decisions regarding your children's healthcare thanks to our horrible president. My daughter is now homeschooling her kids because she doesn't want the government in her children's healthcare or have government propaganda taught to her kids and I don't blame her.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    I am a Christian, but that is only part of the reason I chose to home educate my son. My son has autism and is considered "untestable" because of the severity of it. However, this does not mean unteachable. The last public school he attended chose not to agree with that statement. If he slept the majority of the time (which could and did happen because of some medication he was on at the time) he got to stay at school. If he was awake he was highly active and at least 3 out of the five school days I'd get a phone call. Come get him. We can't do anything with him. Amazing how they could manage to hold off that phone call until exactly 5 minutes after he was officially counted present for the day. Here's a hint: If your child has a parent in the military, the school gets extra funds. If the child has special needs, the school gets extra funds. And yet they come up with the excuse of "no funding" when asked to provide a one on one aide for said child. When that excuse doesn't fly, they come up with the even more lame :The class already has two aides. We aren't allowed to have more than that in the class room. Uh huh. Because he was sent home most of the time anyway, I chose to keep him home. Lo and behold, he could be taught!
    With common core and other things I'm seeing and not liking, if we had other children, the decision would be to home educate.
  • KCHernandez1981
    KCHernandez1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Bump
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    We began homeschooling because hubby was in the Army. Both hubby and I were military brats and hated having to switch schools all the time. We wanted to maximize the time we had together as a family. You never know when the military will deploy you. We have continued with homeschooling since leaving the Army because we now live 30 minutes from town up the side of a mountain. I don't trust these roads during the winter plus the kids like our school program.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    My best friend is from a family of 5 kids that homeschooled. They aren't your stereotypical homeschooling family that's super conservative and religious- if anything, the very opposite. If anything, the texts and stuff aren't liberal enough for them.

Each kid had the choice of either continuing or going to public school when they got older. Some did and some didn't.

They are all very talented and smart. The oldest son got a full ride scholarship and is getting his PhD in laser engineering or something like that that I totally don't understand.

It's not an undertaking I'd really want to pursue but it was a godsend for them. Aforementioned kid probably would have been labeled as having all sorts of behavioral problems when he was younger. He wouldn't have done well in a classroom.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    We scrimp to send out son to a private school, but if one wasn't available, I would probably homeschool.

With No Child Left Behind teachers are teaching to the test..and much of class time is spent on drilling..not learning concepts, just memorizing. Teachers are rewarded for having a certain percentage of kids at a certain test level, which means that they have to allocate their time to support kids who can hit those scores..and kids who may need more support are left to fend for themselves.

First graders come home with 30 to 60 minutes of homework daily..worksheets. With budget cuts, art/music/gym have been drastically reduced and some classrooms have as many as 36 kids.

Our son has a learning disability, and he is 3 years behind in grade level when we looked at our local school. Our local "good" school said that they would accomodate him by putting him in the front of grade level classroom of 32 kids and giving him half a hour of speech therapy a week (he doesn't have speech issues.)

I spend 10 hours a week transporting him to/from his private school, where he is in a classroom with 8 other kids. He's made enormous strides, and in his public school he'd just be a statistic.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    There are those that homeschool to ensure that evolution is not taught to their children.

Ironically, one of the reasons we homeschool is to ensure that evolution is introduced early in her Science topics. We reside in Alabama and evolution is very much danced around within the public school setting.
    This might be really ignorant, so please, forgive me:

I like the whole idea of higher IQ kids being able to go at a faster pace, that's a legitimate reason for homeschooling, as are some of the others I've read here ... but are any of you homeschooling because you don't "believe in evolution"? ... I've heard that people give this as a reason for homeschooling ... Just curious ... I would be suspect of the education such a child would receive, being that they aren't being taught actual science(You know, what's going to happen to them when the go to college?) ...

ETA: Personally, I think we should have more specialized high schools ... ones that cater to careers, not just vo-tech and mainstream high school ...
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    It's pretty common in my state outside of major cities. Like some of the other posters have mentioned for their states, there are areas here in the southeast that have severely, SEVERELY inadequate public schools. There's an area in my state called the "corridor of shame" where some of the schools districts can't afford adequate plumbing, air conditioning repairs (we have 7 months of summer), and are using 30+ year old textbooks (or what's left of them). PLUMBING, ffs. Economic and social stratifications are pretty wide here, and schools are funded by the immediate local area's taxes - which means that areas that are poorer or less densely populated are basically SOL for public schooling, and it only traps kids in a cycle of poverty. My parents chose to move to one of the very few decent school districts rather than homeschool, but that's not an option for a lot of young families. It's very sad.

We're also in the bible belt, and a lot of people probably just want to teach their kids young-earth creationism, I guess.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    This might be really ignorant, so please, forgive me:

I like the whole idea of higher IQ kids being able to go at a faster pace, that's a legitimate reason for homeschooling, as are some of the others I've read here ... but are any of you homeschooling because you don't "believe in evolution"? ... I've heard that people give this as a reason for homeschooling ... Just curious ... I would be suspect of the education such a child would receive, being that they aren't being taught actual science(You know, what's going to happen to them when the go to college?) ...

ETA: Personally, I think we should have more specialized high schools ... ones that cater to careers, not just vo-tech and mainstream high school ...

I don't believe in evolution BUT taught it as a theory to my kids. I teach my children to think for themselves. They can not make an informed decision if they are not informed of the options.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 521 Member
    I've been away from The States for a few years, and am fascinated by this discussion. Thanks OP for posting!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    US schools now can make medical decisions regarding your children's healthcare thanks to our horrible president. My daughter is now homeschooling her kids because she doesn't want the government in her children's healthcare or have government propaganda taught to her kids and I don't blame her.

What kind of medical decisions can they make for your kids? What are you talking about?
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,260 Member
    Because kids get bullied, shot, or corrupted in public schools... my daughter is one and I'm terrified for her to go to school!!!
  • I would have preferred to be homeschooled. Teachers at my high school usually taught at the speed best for the slowest students in the room. I was at the top of my class. It was mind numbing.
  • US schools now can make medical decisions regarding your children's healthcare thanks to our horrible president. My daughter is now homeschooling her kids because she doesn't want the government in her children's healthcare or have government propaganda taught to her kids and I don't blame her.

What kind of medical decisions can they make for your kids? What are you talking about?

Required immunizations most likely.
  • mycrazy8splus1

I know of schools that vaccinate without parental consent and give out condoms. Not sure if that is what they meant but those things bother me.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    it may be a good idea to home school. I am up with my 9 year old until 10pm with homework every night.....
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    The new "trend" of bullying is having a lot to do with it. Plus, school shootings aren't exactly helping matters.

As for the socializing aspect, if you have art museums, local parks, craft stores and shops, etc, check into their homeschooling programs. In my area, we have a TON of places that have certain days where homeschooled children come in for socializing, and also for arts, crafts, gyms, etc. Like a local YMCA has weekly swimming classes for home schooled children only. And what's great is that parents can mark that down as their PE for their requirements.

Plus, I know the school district I live in allows home schooled students to join the music programs (band), and sports, but they still need to follow academic criteria to be allowed to participate.

I'm sure it varies from state to state, but my husband and I have seriously talked about it when we have kids.

I agree with this. The bullying is horrible. Watch CNN.com if you think this poster is not speaking the truth. Just this week two more shootings and there were two more bullying and suicide cases.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    I am Christian but I school for non-Christian reasons and I prefer neutral science and history books. I don't like a lot of what goes on in public schools, with mandatory testing and teaching to the test, kids not allowed to go at their own pace or their own learning style, bullying, and just flat out kids I don't want my kids hanging around with. We have a co-op and he has friends in his neighborhood he plays with it, so he has positive socializing. If I ever get into a school program they will have to go to a charter school for a while which is ok, but until then I am happy to teach them at home and we greatly enjoy it.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277

They are now able to legally take your middle school daughter in for an abortion without any parental consent. It's law here in Florida. How do people NOT know this? Yeah, no aspirin, but an abortion is fine. Sadly, I am not kidding. Out.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    We homeschool because I was told by two public school teachers who taught my son that I needed to get him out of public education. Both ladies said that he would get bored with the slow pace and even the "accelerated" classes would not be enough for him. Glad we listened to them. He has taken two years of Spanish, a year of Latin, Computer Programming, Biology, and many other classes that would not have been available to him in middle school. On his last standardized exams (the Stanford Achievement Test) taken in May, he tested post-high school level in everything and he was in 8th grade.

As far as socialization goes, he is in a homeschool band, a homeschool co-op group, two different homeschool associations, a chess club, church youth group, and volunteers at a homeless organization and an animal shelter. He has also been part of a basketball team, soccer teams, and took tae kwan do for five years. Most of the time, I wish he wasn't so socialized! But he's happy and we don't have to deal with bullying, drama, and peer pressure like he would experience in public or private school.