runners (ing) groups?

Options
I would like to start a running (ers) group here in my town. If you are part of one, or would look to be in one, what are some things you look for? What are some things you like/ dis like about the group? My Idea was to use FB to connect people within the group to those of their performance levels. We would have a beginners (+ to 5K) a 10K; 1/2; and advanced being a full marathon level. I would like to have a different person each day be responsible for bringing a cooler of water and some sort of after run snack ( Lara bars, fruit, nuts etc). Also, I'd like to offer a variation in times; with a focus on evening times ( I can only run in the evenings during the week). Any suggestions or advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    would love to join, but what is your home town?
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I belonged to a running group before my DD was born. We met Sat morning at 6am. They outlined a training schedule on their website (it was in support of a local marathon, so the training was geared toward marathon and half-marathon). I liked that each week we met at a different place and they provided printouts of the course with directions.
  • Michaela722
    Options
    Do you have a Fleet Feet near you, Dizzie? They probably already have scheduled runs every week. We have a local runners club here, too called the Knoxville Track Club. www.ktc.org They do scheduled training runs for months leading up to the Knoxville Marathon each spring. There are usually group runs 2-3x a week here.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Maylan, I'm in San Jose, Ca. Where are you?:smile:

Cynthiasl, Those are great ideas I hadn't even thought of! Thanks!

Michaela, We do have a few fleet feet and a few other running specific stores that have scheduled runs. I picked up the running scheduals, but they all meet at 6am during the week. That's just not possible for me with the kids; and I'm SO not a morning person anyway :grumble: :laugh:
  • Michaela722
    Options
    Ahh....that sucks!! Ours does misc times during the week. Maybe you could talk to them about organizing something in the evening that you can be in charge of.

Here's our local schedule.

http://www.fleetfeetknoxville.com/pages/groups.html

I really want to go to the track one of these days. EEK! I'm skeered! LOL After Todd's back home and I can head out that early, I'll got and run some actual track workouts.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    lol your funny! why are you scared of the track you blaze the
    road so the track will be a slice of camke! thatd a great idea maybe ill pop in there and ask if i can lead eve runs!